Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 09:21 AM

114 posts, read 471,956 times

Advertisements

Oh forgot to mention, you can look them up on line i think it is pod. com or do a simple search. Call the 800 number and you are set. They can walk you through any logistics etc. Trust me on this one, best way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 03:02 PM

11 posts, read 50,931 times
I came from Long Beach...real close to the OC. I can't remember, but there was a limit that you could drive with uHaul...that was one of the reasons it took longer than shown by Google. I towed my car but that didn't affect the speed that much because the limit is controlled by the truck engine. If you decide you want to ship your car (not all cases are as bad as mentioned above) you could try uShipand have car transport companies compete for your business. You could also get your stuff moved on that website so you might want to check it out. It is an internet company actually based out of Austin coincidentally.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:30 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,278,452 times
Another option instead of pulling your second vehicle is to have it driven here by a paid driver by Auto Driveaway. It is an awesome service and very reasonable. We used it once when my parents were buying my car from me - I lived in CA and they lived in Chicago. Basically someone picked up my car from me and dropped it off right at my parents' door for something like $300. Basically they match travelers who need vehicles with people who need their vehicles moved somewhere.

Welcome to Auto Driveaway Company

Old 01-18-2008, 03:46 PM

701 posts, read 2,481,812 times
We moved from Mission Viejo to ATX.

We stopped in Tucson and El Paso before driving to Austin via 290. It's a 19 hour drive but it could be split into to days instead of 3 or for the brave, one shot.

We had our kids with us, so we had to break up the drive. We stayed in La Quinta Inns which are ok.

With 290: if you take it, do *not* take it at dusk or dawn. If you have to, drive towards the center of the highway. Several here on this board mentioned deer. We drove it during the daylight hours and saw none. However, friends came to see us on their way to Mexico and got on 290 and hit a deer in the wee hours.

We also did PODS and they are great. The only caveat is if you call for unpacking help. Do not use Pack N' Serve, one of the two companies they recommend. We didn't have a good experience with them.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:38 PM

55 posts, read 337,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-or-bust View Post
I came from Long Beach...real close to the OC. I can't remember, but there was a limit that you could drive with uHaul...that was one of the reasons it took longer than shown by Google. I towed my car but that didn't affect the speed that much because the limit is controlled by the truck engine. If you decide you want to ship your car (not all cases are as bad as mentioned above) you could try uShipand have car transport companies compete for your business. You could also get your stuff moved on that website so you might want to check it out. It is an internet company actually based out of Austin coincidentally.

Thank you for your info. Have you tried UShip? I need a very reliable shipping company.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisch View Post
We moved from Mission Viejo to ATX.

We stopped in Tucson and El Paso before driving to Austin via 290. It's a 19 hour drive but it could be split into to days instead of 3 or for the brave, one shot.

We had our kids with us, so we had to break up the drive. We stayed in La Quinta Inns which are ok.

With 290: if you take it, do *not* take it at dusk or dawn. If you have to, drive towards the center of the highway. Several here on this board mentioned deer. We drove it during the daylight hours and saw none. However, friends came to see us on their way to Mexico and got on 290 and hit a deer in the wee hours.

We also did PODS and they are great. The only caveat is if you call for unpacking help. Do not use Pack N' Serve, one of the two companies they recommend. We didn't have a good experience with them.
Thanks for your advices. I do not feel comfortable with PODS and UPack because my wife and kid will have to live without furniture and other stuff for a week while they shipping my stuff. Did you stay overnight at El Paso? How long did it take you to El Paso from MV?

Old 01-18-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi927 View Post
Another option instead of pulling your second vehicle is to have it driven here by a paid driver by Auto Driveaway. It is an awesome service and very reasonable. We used it once when my parents were buying my car from me - I lived in CA and they lived in Chicago. Basically someone picked up my car from me and dropped it off right at my parents' door for something like $300. Basically they match travelers who need vehicles with people who need their vehicles moved somewhere.

Welcome to Auto Driveaway Company
Wow! all kind of services out there. Thanks, I will check it out.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:59 PM

115 posts, read 492,468 times
I just arrived in Austin from San Diego 2 weeks ago, but I didn't drive here. I shipped my car through Dependable Auto Shippers – Your Auto Transport Company – Car Shipping Quote Online They told me 10 days but my car actually made it in 5 days. It was $518 to ship my Maxima. I was very impressed with their service. I didn't have alot to move like you, but my clothing I shipped via Greyhound's package express. I shipped 6 big boxes for $178. They have a 25% off coupon on their website. You get insurance and you're able to track your packages online. It took my packages 1 day and 9 hours to get here. I bought a one way ticket from San Diego to Austin for $99 then bam....I was here! I also packed some things in my car trunk. Uhaul was costly to me too!

Old 01-19-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prtybrwnis View Post
I just arrived in Austin from San Diego 2 weeks ago, but I didn't drive here. I shipped my car through Dependable Auto Shippers – Your Auto Transport Company – Car Shipping Quote Online They told me 10 days but my car actually made it in 5 days. It was $518 to ship my Maxima. I was very impressed with their service. I didn't have alot to move like you, but my clothing I shipped via Greyhound's package express. I shipped 6 big boxes for $178. They have a 25% off coupon on their website. You get insurance and you're able to track your packages online. It took my packages 1 day and 9 hours to get here. I bought a one way ticket from San Diego to Austin for $99 then bam....I was here! I also packed some things in my car trunk. Uhaul was costly to me too!

I wish I could pack and move like you. Did DAS pick your car up with the comfimed date?

Old 01-20-2008, 10:43 AM

115 posts, read 492,468 times
I had to drop my car off at one of their vendor's lots on 1/4 and then they gave me a 10 day confirmed date. However they called me on 1/9 to say my car had made it and I picked it up at a local lot in Austin. I knew that my car was going to arrive sooner than 10 days because I tracked it through their website. You can pay extra and do the door-to-door but I didn't. My cousin worked in their dispatch office while in college and she told me about them. I was very pleased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin