U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 03:06 PM

384 posts, read 826,972 times

Advertisements

I know an Apple employee who lives in the Brushy Creek neighborhood. It's probably easy for him to get on Parmer and head straight down, since the Apple buildings are also on Parmer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 03:33 PM

3,105 posts, read 6,463,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
balor123's "30 minutes or less" claim is probably over-optimistic, however I will point out that McNeil/183 is another 5 miles north from Mopac/183 (a 50% longer trip). Your trip was also with the commuting traffic, while if balor123 is heading south at that time, he's actually against it. Mopac/183 to South Austin (if you define South Austin as _just_ south of the river) is doable in 30 minutes at 5 pm. I'd never guarantee it, however, and I'd always allow myself extra time.
I don't believe that for a second. Southbound Mopac is basically a parking lot starting at 2222 at the beginning of the afternoon rush (I try not to get caught on it after 4:30). I live in Hyde Park and work up north, and the 2 miles of jammed Mopac I put up with add at least 10-15 minutes onto my commute time, which is still faster than taking the surface streets.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:41 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,183,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I don't believe that for a second. Southbound Mopac is basically a parking lot starting at 2222 at the beginning of the afternoon rush (I try not to get caught on it after 4:30). I live in Hyde Park and work up north, and the 2 miles of jammed Mopac I put up with add at least 10-15 minutes onto my commute time, which is still faster than taking the surface streets.
Of course it slows down, which is why it's 30 minutes instead of 10. A tripling of the time isn't bad enough for you to believe?

183/Mopac to south of the river is only 8 miles. Absent any traffic at all, it'd be under 10 minutes.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:23 PM

3,105 posts, read 6,463,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Of course it slows down, which is why it's 30 minutes instead of 10. A tripling of the time isn't bad enough for you to believe?

183/Mopac to south of the river is only 8 miles. Absent any traffic at all, it'd be under 10 minutes.
"Slows down" isn't correct. You're stopped most of the time and can't get out of first gear the rest of the time. Maybe I just run into the worst of it, but in my experience, what takes two minutes in free flow takes me 10-15. Have you driven the portion of Mopac in question at the time in question?

Old 04-23-2015, 04:39 PM

142 posts, read 85,686 times
I'd hate to get involved in a stupid argument. But you can certainly go from 183/Mopac to Zilker in 20-25 min even at the height of rush hour.

Mesa - Mt Bonnell Rd - Exposition -Enfield - Lake Austin - cross at Red Bud - Stratford to Zilker

Old 04-24-2015, 07:04 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,183,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
"Slows down" isn't correct. You're stopped most of the time and can't get out of first gear the rest of the time. Maybe I just run into the worst of it, but in my experience, what takes two minutes in free flow takes me 10-15. Have you driven the portion of Mopac in question at the time in question?
Yes, I semi-regularly (about every couple weeks) do Anderson/Mopac down to Cesar Chavez exit, take Cesar Chavez over to the first street bridge (that's the really slow part) and then down.

I've no doubt that it feels like you're totally stopped when you're in it. But look at it analytically, you've basically estimating that section of mopac has a congestion index of 5-8X. The TTI doesn't have anything near that. The most congested roadways in Texas

Personally, I think they underestimate things a little (which is why I estimate 3x) but they're not 4 times off.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:51 PM

7,180 posts, read 16,220,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstwahine View Post
Depends on which location you will be based at. My significant other works for the Apple group (small group of engineers) that are off of 360 and bee caves essentially. We live in Southwest Austin. Typically it takes him 15 -20 minutes to get to work and about 20 to get home (he leaves at 905am and comes back around 630-7).

If you're based at the north place I would definitely recommend living up near there - that commute would be awful from where we are, although he purposely leaves outside of awful traffic times. We live 15 minutes or so from downtown (no traffic). Honestly, I really like our location.
Looks like that department is expanding. Apple is leasing a whole new 7 story building near 360 & Bee Caves. Sources: Apple signs lease for office building in Southwest... | www.mystatesman.com At 215,000 square feet that is a LOT of employees.

It's difficult to overstate the impact Apple is having in Austin. Sometimes I think we just see the tip of the iceberg.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:15 AM

7,135 posts, read 13,013,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Looks like that department is expanding. Apple is leasing a whole new 7 story building near 360 & Bee Caves. Sources: Apple signs lease for office building in Southwest... | www.mystatesman.com At 215,000 square feet that is a LOT of employees.

It's difficult to overstate the impact Apple is having in Austin. Sometimes I think we just see the tip of the iceberg.
Yes, I pity any employees who will be moved to this location who have already bought north, ouch!

Old 04-26-2015, 10:28 PM

2 posts, read 1,967 times
Thank you for all of the opinions. We do have children so we probably would try to find a place in the NW neighborhoods (Avery Ranch, Brushy Creek, etc.) can those that are familiar with that area tell me if the neighbors are sociable there? I.e kids playing with each other, neighborhood football parties, kids riding the bus to school with kids in the neighborhood, etc.? Where we are now (AZ) our whole neighborhood goes to different schools (lots of charters) and I drive my kids everyday. So their friends are very segmented between neighborhood, school, and gymnastics. Just hoping for more of a neighborhood cohesive feel. Do you know if kids are locked to the school they are zoned for, or do parents hop to wherever they want?

Old 04-26-2015, 10:40 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,285,924 times
Northwest Austin covers a very large area, so as you are considering homes it is best to stick to your price range and structural qualifications but don't get stuck on any particular neighborhoods. The typography can vary, running from hilly to plains. Overall, the AISD and RRISD schools here are excellent. Drive around and see if the immediate area or neighborhood feels right to you and work from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or