U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 04:10 PM

5,184 posts, read 5,737,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian12345 View Post
What about the Lakeway area? We're looking at Rough Hollow, seems to have everything we're looking for as well. Good schools, there are lots of young families around. What about the commute? Distance-wise, it looks about the same, but is the commute better? worse?
As someone who came astonishingly close to buying in Rough Hollow, let me point you away from there. Reason one is the community propane system -- a complete deal breaker for me, now that I understand it. Ignore the coercive nature of many of them, ignore the long term money stream for most of the developers in return for selling the home owners out. The fact that it costs 3X as much to run a furnace (or any other appliance) on propane as on natural gas is reason enough for me. Reason two is the extensive clear cutting of trees that they did. Place looks awful. Interesting analysis here that after you add taxes, utilities and HOA fees, Rough Hollow is THE most expensive of the current W 71 developments.

Why not look at existing neighborhoods like Lakepointe or Alta Vista?

Old 04-28-2015, 05:59 PM

515 posts, read 958,325 times
How about Lake Pointe? It's a little closer in than Rough Hollow or Steiner.

Here are some homes currently on the market there:
https://www.realtyaustin.com/lake-pointe.php

Or across Bee Cave Rd from Lakepointe, the Uplands:
https://www.realtyaustin.com/the-uplands.php

Old 04-28-2015, 07:58 PM

10,779 posts, read 9,406,760 times
Quote:
thank you everyone for your thoughts! it REALLY helps. seriously, thank you! this is a huge decision for me and my family and hearing the different points of view is extremely helpful.

one of the big negative points for Steiner is the commute to downtown. we're leaving the bay to have a better life, but if I'm in traffic all day every day, that's not a better life!

What about the Lakeway area? We're looking at Rough Hollow, seems to have everything we're looking for as well. Good schools, there are lots of young families around. What about the commute? Distance-wise, it looks about the same, but is the commute better? worse?
Lakeway has draconian code, law, and traffic violation enforcement practices.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:14 PM

143 posts, read 87,076 times
For 800,000 you could do Barton Hills, be 5 min from downtown, and have enough left over for 8 years tuition at St. Andrews.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:21 PM

171 posts, read 157,763 times
Commute from Rough Hollow to downtown is an easy 45 minutes. Rough Hollow is set back from 71 and 620 and takes time just to get out onto those two roads with 620 being the rougher of the two traffic wise. Areas to look are Lake Pointe, Uplands, and Preserve at Barton Creek. All of these are zoned to Lake Pointe Elementary, Lake Travis Middle School, and Lake Travis High School. Rough Hollow is zoned to Serene Hills Elementary which, this year and likely next year, is the largest elementary school in the district.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:50 AM

126 posts, read 115,710 times
Quote:
Hi Ya'll!

much like everyone else, my wife and I live in San Jose, Ca and looking to potentially relocate to Austin. ( I know, get in line) We are now 50/50 between Austin and Raleigh, NC.

We are doing our pro/con list and I'd like some advice on the cons of Austin. (there are a MILLION pros).

Here are the main deterrents that may keep us away.

1) HEAT - it's hot from May-Halloween. How do people cope? Is it REALLY that big of a deal? Do people still golf? Does the heat severely prohibit you from going outside for half of the year? Anyone move from California and have dealt with the heat that can give some insight?

2) LOCATION - Austin as a whole, that is. Middle of Texas (not that there's anything wrong with that, but my perception is that there isn't much around there) , I feel like you're landlocked. No mountains to drive to, no beaches. If you want to get out, you fly. How do people deal with that? Is there a sense of 'island fever'? A roadtrip to Waco doesn't really appeal to us as a fun family vacation.

3) TRAFFIC - We'd likely live in Steiner, and I'd work downtown. I've done TON of research and the traffic between that....well.....sucks. I get it. My commute now is 1.5 hours anyway so, I'm used to it. Anyone know of the plans for inferstructure? especially in the steiner area, where they are building even more developments?

4) TOO SMALL? - coming from the Bay Area, I'm actually attracted to a smaller area (hence Austin and Raleigh). This may not be a huge deterrent for us, but it feels small, not many store options, in steiner you go to 1 middle school, 1 high school. I understand that this is also a pro, and I also understand the whole growth vs. anti-growth movements there. It's just something we're considering.

With the huge growth of Austin, what's the latest with plans to grow the city? A big thing with Raleigh is that it's more 'built out', but if in 5 years Austin is built out to where Raleigh is today, the whole 'too small' issue goes away.

Now I'm just rambling....any advice on the above, or even more cons that I'm not thinking of would be MUCH appreciated.

thank you!!!!
what are the million pros?

heat - its tx, its hot.. drink plenty of water.. i use to bike 20 miles during peak heat.. while those Minnesotans out on a jog were being picked up by ambulance..

location - if you want beaches and mountains, move to a beach or the mountains. most ppl dont even leave their houses. if you can afford to, just jump on a plane and go wherever you want.

traffic - ppl actually want to get to and from work.. surprise.. non rush hour i could fly around austin in no time.. i mean its not like the city of austin ever tries to make traffic worse.. i mean they would never shut a bridge down on a weekday during the day for some naming ceremony or something.

too small? didnt you know that everything is bigger in texas.. you failed the test, please stay where you are.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:17 AM

392 posts, read 410,118 times
Well, a big con is what happened yesterday - a dump truck hit a mobile home in transit and caught on fire, shutting down the 35, and made life miserable for anyone who needed to get anywhere for miles around. Surface street traffic was a complete mess.

It took me an hour to get from 620/Great Oaks to Jack Allen's last night, normally not really more than 15-20 minutes in normal traffic. People trying to get home in Brushy Creek had Great Oaks at Hairy Man backed up long before the fire station. Hairy Man was at a standstill. Sam Bass was a mess. Old Settlers' wasn't so bad, but I think that was just a matter of going the right way at the right time.

Now I know what people mean that when the 35 is messed up, everything is messed up. Wow. Consider yourself warned.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Lakeway has draconian code, law, and traffic violation enforcement practices.
Old wives tale. Hasn't been that way since 2009, when Todd Radford became chief of police.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:18 AM

4,393 posts, read 5,583,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Old wives tale. Hasn't been that way since 2009, when Todd Radford became chief of police.
I lived there for 9 months, summer of 2010 to April of 2011, and it was that way - cops all over the place, waiting to give you a ticket.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I lived there for 9 months, summer of 2010 to April of 2011, and it was that way - cops all over the place, waiting to give you a ticket.
Never said that there was ZERO traffic enforcement. Starting ticketing at 5 MPH over - which is the official policy of the Lakeway PD - is pretty much the standard across this state, and nowhere near "draconian".

Frankly, I wish there were cops "all over the place" in my neighborhood. Speed limits exist for a reason, and if one can't even get within 5 MPH of 30, then they deserve to be stopped. Every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin