U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2015, 10:11 AM

115 posts, read 181,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel_Austin View Post
Commute from Rough Hollow to downtown is an easy 45 minutes. Rough Hollow is set back from 71 and 620 and takes time just to get out onto those two roads with 620 being the rougher of the two traffic wise. Areas to look are Lake Pointe, Uplands, and Preserve at Barton Creek. All of these are zoned to Lake Pointe Elementary, Lake Travis Middle School, and Lake Travis High School. Rough Hollow is zoned to Serene Hills Elementary which, this year and likely next year, is the largest elementary school in the district.
All of those areas are super nice. They're maybe a little bit pricy, but they're nice. I'm watching the real estate in those places and it's definitely an option.

Schools are definitely a plus, but is Serene Hills all that different? Lake Pointe is rated higher, but they both look like good schools.

Another reason why we may do Rough Hollow is we can build a new home, for about the same as a home in Lake Pointe. Maybe less if we remodel a Lake Pointe home. That's a totally a personal thing, but it's a factor we're considering.

The 45 minute commute obviously doesn't sound like fun, but it's better than the Steiner commute, no?

Old 04-29-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossh0g View Post
what are the million pros?

heat - its tx, its hot.. drink plenty of water.. i use to bike 20 miles during peak heat.. while those Minnesotans out on a jog were being picked up by ambulance..

location - if you want beaches and mountains, move to a beach or the mountains. most ppl dont even leave their houses. if you can afford to, just jump on a plane and go wherever you want.

traffic - ppl actually want to get to and from work.. surprise.. non rush hour i could fly around austin in no time.. i mean its not like the city of austin ever tries to make traffic worse.. i mean they would never shut a bridge down on a weekday during the day for some naming ceremony or something.

too small? didnt you know that everything is bigger in texas.. you failed the test, please stay where you are.

Ha! Well played!

There ARE a million pros to Austin and we're really excited! It's all but done, we're moving out there, super excited about it! We're just trying to figure out exactly out which neighborhood, schools, what culture we want, if we want a new build vs. existing home, etc.

It's great to know that almost everyone on this thread just deals with the heat. My thoughts on it was that Austin was built for the heat. It's not like it's going to be hot and be a total shock to everyone, ya know? People live there and people deal with it, I'm assuming (hoping) we do the same.

Good call on the Traffic/beach strategy. Then again, I live 25 minutes from Santa Cruz and we go about 3 times a year. And it's good to know that it's only a 3 hour flight to San Diego and Disneyland. (not disneyworld...we're keeping that part of California in us!!!)

I am not staying where I am! I'm coming to Austin and will live right next to you. And every day I'm going to complain about the heat and start every sentence with 'well, in the Bay Area.....' and I'm bringing all of my Silicon Valley friends with me and all we're going to talk about is how much better California is than Texas. But in all seriousness, I'm bringing my A's, Giants, 49ers and Sharks jerseys with me and I'll be rooting for them.....that's the one thing you're going to actually have to deal with!

thanks for the reply!

Old 04-29-2015, 10:38 AM

5,184 posts, read 5,723,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian12345 View Post
It's great to know that almost everyone on this thread just deals with the heat. My thoughts on it was that Austin was built for the heat. It's not like it's going to be hot and be a total shock to everyone, ya know? People live there and people deal with it, I'm assuming (hoping) we do the same.
Need to get the Austin male summer uniform -- Tommy Bahama shirts, shorts, and sandals. You can go almost anywhere in this town dressed like that.

And forget ever thinking about the "layered look" here.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Clearly you are a sucker for the big master planned, resort like communities! If that is your thing, then okay. But there is a price to be paid, especially in Rough Hollow. Austin-Steve has done some great writing on the cost-benefit analysis of such places. I'll try to find a link if he doesn't chime in.
I am. Well, my wife REALLY is!! Happy wife..... If you have some cost analysis of different areas, please send them my way! thank you!!

Old 04-29-2015, 12:43 PM

2,624 posts, read 5,597,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Need to get the Austin male summer uniform -- Tommy Bahama shirts, shorts, and sandals. You can go almost anywhere in this town dressed like that.
And you can substitute an Under Armour dry fit golf polo shirt in place of the Tommy Bahama shirt if you're under 45 years old to go with khaki shorts. Sandals of some sort are required unless you need to bring along a more specific athletic shoe.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:39 PM

14 posts, read 14,626 times
If commuting to work is a bother then Austin is not a good option for relocating. I live 11 miles from work and commute an hour each way (south to central).

There is a "Californians are ruining the city" mentality here but to be honest, we have people move here from all around the world and the city was never built to accommodate the growth. I'm not discouraging the move (I'm actually wanting to relocate to Northern CA next year) but the city feels like it is imploding with people and cars.

Cost of living
It's getting ridiculous even with two decent salaried jobs. The cost of living is less than California but so is the pay.

Summer Activities
There are a bunch of beautiful hiking trails and water holes to visit. This is a definite plus in the Austin area. We love to visit Krause springs (out near spicewood, TX about an hour away from central ATX).

Old 04-29-2015, 05:05 PM

1,791 posts, read 2,434,246 times
Austin feels more and more like Dallas each day.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:45 PM

5,184 posts, read 5,723,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
While I completely agree, you do realize some see that as a feature and not a bug?

Old 04-29-2015, 07:58 PM

268 posts, read 922,168 times
Quote:
So true..... I hope it will not become another Dallas completely

Old 04-29-2015, 08:28 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,154,728 times
Quote:
This is almost too crazy to engage, but someone needs to insert a few FACTS into this nonsense. Of course, Dallas and Austin will have similarities, both being Texas cities, BUT

1. Malls are dying in Austin, we have one left - they are thriving and growing in Dallas.
2. DFW is a multinodal place: less than 10% of all jobs in Dallas are located downtown. Austin has a thriving downtown, the core of Austin has nearly 30% of all jobs in the MSA, the highest concentration in the entire United States. Downtown Austin is the only real live, work, play neighborhood in the state of Texas, which is why I find the idiocy of people claiming that the growth in downtown in Austin is making Austin more like Dallas particularly hilarious. Downtown growth is structurally making Austin less like Dallas.
3. There was ONE, yes count it ONE restaurant in the Austin MSA with a dress-code; it closed on February 15! There are dozens in Dallas and more coming…

If anything in certain ways, Dallas is trying to become more like Austin and not vice-versa: food trucks, hipster neighborhoods, trying to get rid of or build parks over the highways that decimated that city that Austin was lucky enough never to have built! I wish Austin had the diversity and cultural institutions of Dallas, but it does not.

To say that Austin is becoming more like Dallas is to rely on a risible set of outdated stereotypes about both cities, but given the demographics of those making the claim, it is hardly surprising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin