U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2015, 10:47 PM

8,068 posts, read 13,438,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
This is almost too crazy to engage, but someone needs to insert a few FACTS into this nonsense.

1. Malls are dying in Austin, we have one left -
Unless you know something they don't...the folks at Barton Creek Square and Lakeline Mall would like a chat with you.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:15 PM

126 posts, read 114,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian12345 View Post
Ha! Well played!

There ARE a million pros to Austin and we're really excited! It's all but done, we're moving out there, super excited about it! We're just trying to figure out exactly out which neighborhood, schools, what culture we want, if we want a new build vs. existing home, etc.

It's great to know that almost everyone on this thread just deals with the heat. My thoughts on it was that Austin was built for the heat. It's not like it's going to be hot and be a total shock to everyone, ya know? People live there and people deal with it, I'm assuming (hoping) we do the same.

Good call on the Traffic/beach strategy. Then again, I live 25 minutes from Santa Cruz and we go about 3 times a year. And it's good to know that it's only a 3 hour flight to San Diego and Disneyland. (not disneyworld...we're keeping that part of California in us!!!)

I am not staying where I am! I'm coming to Austin and will live right next to you. And every day I'm going to complain about the heat and start every sentence with 'well, in the Bay Area.....' and I'm bringing all of my Silicon Valley friends with me and all we're going to talk about is how much better California is than Texas. But in all seriousness, I'm bringing my A's, Giants, 49ers and Sharks jerseys with me and I'll be rooting for them.....that's the one thing you're going to actually have to deal with!

thanks for the reply!
Well if you are moving to austin good luck. Its a decent place, i still have love for Austin. However, i wouldnt move back there if i ever moved back to the states. Thats more because i would prefer the hill country, or just rural texas in general.

Some people never acclimate to new climates, so if youre not a heat person, i dont know what to tell you other than to stay inside the AC. A long stretch of 100 plus days will crack some people for good. I love the AC myself, but I also love training in extreme heat. Just lower you diuretic intake in the summer and drink plenty of water. At the same time, winter is great imo, well unless you are wanting real snowfall.

Yeah the airport is handy tool to escape if you need to. Just dont become one of those people who only leave their house to buy goods, go to work and then complain about its locale - like my sister who moved up to "Pflugerville" 15 years ago to escape central austin... haha theres no escape. Damn, its been 15 years.. Anyway, shes having revelations now and according to her facebook pics is rediscovering Austin a snap at a time, so good for her.

On the other hand, my brother lives on the East Side and rarely complains about Austins location. The only itch he does get is to gamble, so he'll head to vegas, a reservation or some boat. BUT there are MEMBER ONLY type card venues in austin too if youre in the know.

As far as traffic during rush hour, i would advise you to either live closer to work or just deal with it. I would recommend looking for short cuts, but there really arent many anymore, since tons of people know them too. i still know a couple of unknowns but in the scheme of things.. eh. If its not rush hour, huge game/festival etc, you really can fly around austin in no time at all.

Bring youre teams with you, it doesnt matter. Hell, bring your love for Ca leaf fa with you to, its cool. However, if you need to **** all over texas and tell me how much better the bay area is, well then...take your arse back to the bay.

Last edited by bossh0g; 04-29-2015 at 11:41 PM..

Old 04-30-2015, 04:21 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,430,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
While I completely agree, you do realize some see that as a feature and not a bug?
Exactly, so why not just move to Dallas? I thought the point of this thread was reasons not to move to Austin?

Old 04-30-2015, 04:24 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,430,079 times
Quote:
This is almost too crazy to engage, but someone needs to insert a few FACTS into this nonsense. Of course, Dallas and Austin will have similarities, both being Texas cities, BUT

1. Malls are dying in Austin, we have one left - they are thriving and growing in Dallas.
2. DFW is a multinodal place: less than 10% of all jobs in Dallas are located downtown. Austin has a thriving downtown, the core of Austin has nearly 30% of all jobs in the MSA, the highest concentration in the entire United States. Downtown Austin is the only real live, work, play neighborhood in the state of Texas, which is why I find the idiocy of people claiming that the growth in downtown in Austin is making Austin more like Dallas particularly hilarious. Downtown growth is structurally making Austin less like Dallas.
3. There was ONE, yes count it ONE restaurant in the Austin MSA with a dress-code; it closed on February 15! There are dozens in Dallas and more coming…

If anything in certain ways, Dallas is trying to become more like Austin and not vice-versa: food trucks, hipster neighborhoods, trying to get rid of or build parks over the highways that decimated that city that Austin was lucky enough never to have built! I wish Austin had the diversity and cultural institutions of Dallas, but it does not.

To say that Austin is becoming more like Dallas is to rely on a risible set of outdated stereotypes about both cities, but given the demographics of those making the claim, it is hardly surprising.
Austin has become keeping up with Joneses. Just like how Dallas is.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:52 AM

5,184 posts, read 5,714,968 times
Quote:
This is almost too crazy to engage, but someone needs to insert a few FACTS into this nonsense. Of course, Dallas and Austin will have similarities, both being Texas cities, BUT ...
I'm not going to get into the sophistry of comparing absolute numbers of anything between a metro area of 6.3 M and one of 1.8M because that isn't the point. The numbers of this or that isn't how Austin is becoming like Dallas, but rather in the previously unknown phenomenons of crass materialism, conspicuous consumption, status chasing and the flaunting of wealth.

Oh, and there's one other completely Dallas characteristic now on display in Austin I had forgotten about - snobbery.

Last edited by scm53; 04-30-2015 at 06:09 AM..

Old 04-30-2015, 06:57 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,377,609 times
comments in post.

Quote:
Ha! Well played!

There ARE a million pros to Austin and we're really excited! It's all but done, we're moving out there, super excited about it! We're just trying to figure out exactly out which neighborhood, schools, what culture we want, if we want a new build vs. existing home, etc.

So did you dump the Golf Course community data point? (still not sure why Lost Creek, Great Hills & Riverplace weren't discussed further (& over Steiner and Lakeway) given your budget & data points).

It's great to know that almost everyone on this thread just deals with the heat. My thoughts on it was that Austin was built for the heat. It's not like it's going to be hot and be a total shock to everyone, ya know? People live there and people deal with it, I'm assuming (hoping) we do the same.

It'll suck the energy out of you. Go to NorCal or Colorado for a week (or a month) in late July each year.

Good call on the Traffic/beach strategy. Then again, I live 25 minutes from Santa Cruz and we go about 3 times a year. And it's good to know that it's only a 3 hour flight to San Diego and Disneyland. (not disneyworld...we're keeping that part of California in us!!!)

Walt's park is superior to the "Resort in the Swamp" in a number of ways. Kind of like a smaller (neat) city is superior to a larger, generic metropolis in a number of ways.

I am not staying where I am! I'm coming to Austin and will live right next to you. And every day I'm going to complain about the heat and start every sentence with 'well, in the Bay Area.....' and I'm bringing all of my Silicon Valley friends with me and all we're going to talk about is how much better California is than Texas. But in all seriousness, I'm bringing my A's, Giants, 49ers and Sharks jerseys with me and I'll be rooting for them.....that's the one thing you're going to actually have to deal with!

What's a "Shark"? Is it a swimming team?

thanks for the reply!
You'll do fine, but at 750-800K, I'd pick a place that has your data points AND will be closer to work.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
I'm not going to get into the sophistry of comparing absolute numbers of anything between a metro area of 6.3 M and one of 1.8M because that isn't the point. The numbers of this or that isn't how Austin is becoming like Dallas, but rather in the previously unknown phenomenons of crass materialism, conspicuous consumption, status chasing and the flaunting of wealth.....
I'm in Dallas every 60 days & agree that Austin is becoming more like Dallas (& to a smaller degree Dallas is moving more like Austin) for the reasons given above. I have no comment about the "shopping" & have never understood the recreational aspect of what should be a utilitarian activity anyway. Also, Schools & kids are similar (academically, athletically and in general behavior) as well. I notice this at monthly statewide athletic events (& the academic similarities are published at various places). Plano West is similar to Westwood. WL is similar to HP. SLC is similar to LT.

What I really wish that Austin had copied Dallas on, was the way the metroplex anticipated the population growth & they would build major (non freeway) streets with 6 lanes (& a turn median) where new development occurred. It's much easier to travel 3-6 miles in (north) Dallas & it's Suburbs because you don't need to get on a freeway/highway. (& because of this, the highways themselves are less crowded with short hoppers). I've noticed this forward thinking road building in PHX, OKC & northern SD County as well. Makes for much less stressful daily living.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:31 PM

115 posts, read 181,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
comments in post.

You'll do fine, but at 750-800K, I'd pick a place that has your data points AND will be closer to work.

Thanks for the reply. I think golf IS big data point (a very selfish one at that!) is that we're likely looking for a new build (we have the attitude if we're going to do it....build a brand new home). Another big data point is the amenities - we want the community atmosphere, pools, a community center where we'll meet people who also have kids and a place where we'd easily make friends pretty quickly.

The places mentioned previously in this thread (Lake Pointe, Uplands, Barton area, West Lake, etc.) are beautiful areas and good schools and closer to DT for work. From my research, they are the more established homes and they may or may not be the exact home we're looking for, and potentially not with the amenities of a Lakeway or a Steiner. And the price points are about the same. So we're faced with Rough Hollow (that's the winner today...tomorrow may be different) where we can build a brand new home, have the amenities, but be further out and a sucky commute (but not as bad as steiner) and not get the UT golf community. OR be closer to DT in Lake Pointe, for example, have a great home (but not necessarily the way we want it), not the amenities, for about the same price point.

Also, no UT golf community. I may have to let that one go - I honestly don't know how much we'd use the UT golf club if we're in Rough Hollow. Dont know if we'd be there every day, or just once a week and if that's really worth it. It looks like a bit of a trek to get there? I mean, that's a LOT of golf to have it pay for itself. Suggestions on other clubs in the area, selfishly...golf clubs! Just curious what else is out there.

So I see the pros/cons to both. I kind of get the sense that there's not one glaring 'oh my god don't do that' over the other - it's personal opinion. You have a longer commute and a big, new home. Ofr you're in an established community with a better commute and proximity to downtown. Both good schools in the area (looks like Lake Pointe is 'better' in terms of ranking, but they all look like good schools at the end of the day) I see both and both are great options, depending on who you are. Me, personally, I like the 'new' feel and the amenities. And I'll deal with the commute (I'm used to it) That's why we're leaning towards Rough Hollow - But I understand the appeal to other places, with that same price point.
thoughts?

Old 04-30-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I think golf IS big data point (a very selfish one at that!) is that we're likely looking for a new build (we have the attitude if we're going to do it....build a brand new home). Another big data point is the amenities - we want the community atmosphere, pools, a community center where we'll meet people who also have kids and a place where we'd easily make friends pretty quickly.

The places mentioned previously in this thread (Lake Pointe, Uplands, Barton area, West Lake, etc.) are beautiful areas and good schools and closer to DT for work. From my research, they are the more established homes and they may or may not be the exact home we're looking for, and potentially not with the amenities of a Lakeway or a Steiner. And the price points are about the same. So we're faced with Rough Hollow (that's the winner today...tomorrow may be different) where we can build a brand new home, have the amenities, but be further out and a sucky commute (but not as bad as steiner) and not get the UT golf community. OR be closer to DT in Lake Pointe, for example, have a great home (but not necessarily the way we want it), not the amenities, for about the same price point.

Also, no UT golf community. I may have to let that one go - I honestly don't know how much we'd use the UT golf club if we're in Rough Hollow. Dont know if we'd be there every day, or just once a week and if that's really worth it. It looks like a bit of a trek to get there? I mean, that's a LOT of golf to have it pay for itself. Suggestions on other clubs in the area, selfishly...golf clubs! Just curious what else is out there.

So I see the pros/cons to both. I kind of get the sense that there's not one glaring 'oh my god don't do that' over the other - it's personal opinion. You have a longer commute and a big, new home. Ofr you're in an established community with a better commute and proximity to downtown. Both good schools in the area (looks like Lake Pointe is 'better' in terms of ranking, but they all look like good schools at the end of the day) I see both and both are great options, depending on who you are. Me, personally, I like the 'new' feel and the amenities. And I'll deal with the commute (I'm used to it) That's why we're leaning towards Rough Hollow - But I understand the appeal to other places, with that same price point.
thoughts?
I'm not recommending Steiner & Lakeway (golf communities). I'm recommending Lost Creek (maybe a no because of age), Riverplace and Great Hills golf communites (& possibly Barton Creek). Which are all closer to downtown than Rough Hollow, Steiner and the rest of Lakeway.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:23 PM

614 posts, read 589,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Unless you know something they don't...the folks at Barton Creek Square and Lakeline Mall would like a chat with you.
homeinatx said, "Malls are dying in Austin ..."

Last time I checked, the Lakeline Mall is in Cedar Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin