U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2015, 02:32 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,195,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
homeinatx said, "Malls are dying in Austin ..."

Last time I checked, the Lakeline Mall is in Cedar Park.
You checked wrong. Lakeline Mall is in Austin. Council District 6, specifically.

Jurisdictions WebMap

Old 04-30-2015, 02:35 PM

5,407 posts, read 6,661,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian12345 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I think golf IS big data point (a very selfish one at that!) is that we're likely looking for a new build (we have the attitude if we're going to do it....build a brand new home). Another big data point is the amenities - we want the community atmosphere, pools, a community center where we'll meet people who also have kids and a place where we'd easily make friends pretty quickly.

The places mentioned previously in this thread (Lake Pointe, Uplands, Barton area, West Lake, etc.) are beautiful areas and good schools and closer to DT for work. From my research, they are the more established homes and they may or may not be the exact home we're looking for, and potentially not with the amenities of a Lakeway or a Steiner. And the price points are about the same. So we're faced with Rough Hollow (that's the winner today...tomorrow may be different) where we can build a brand new home, have the amenities, but be further out and a sucky commute (but not as bad as steiner) and not get the UT golf community. OR be closer to DT in Lake Pointe, for example, have a great home (but not necessarily the way we want it), not the amenities, for about the same price point.

Also, no UT golf community. I may have to let that one go - I honestly don't know how much we'd use the UT golf club if we're in Rough Hollow. Dont know if we'd be there every day, or just once a week and if that's really worth it. It looks like a bit of a trek to get there? I mean, that's a LOT of golf to have it pay for itself. Suggestions on other clubs in the area, selfishly...golf clubs! Just curious what else is out there.

So I see the pros/cons to both. I kind of get the sense that there's not one glaring 'oh my god don't do that' over the other - it's personal opinion. You have a longer commute and a big, new home. Ofr you're in an established community with a better commute and proximity to downtown. Both good schools in the area (looks like Lake Pointe is 'better' in terms of ranking, but they all look like good schools at the end of the day) I see both and both are great options, depending on who you are. Me, personally, I like the 'new' feel and the amenities. And I'll deal with the commute (I'm used to it) That's why we're leaning towards Rough Hollow - But I understand the appeal to other places, with that same price point.
thoughts?
Riverplace is a also a golf community with pretty much the same amenities and community feel as Steiner. So is Lost Creek. I don't know where you are getting that Steiner (or Rough Hollow) has all of these things that no other place does. Have you driven through River Place? Have you visited it's country club? Or are you just going by info you see on the internet?

I kind of get the new build, but honestly, even in Steiner, you get way more for your money with a resale, some of which are only a few years old. There is currently a brand new build in Steiner that is the same exact floor plan as my house. It is probably also $200K more than I would sell my house for. Yet my house has a lot that is twice as big, at the end of a cul-de-sac, backing up to a greenbelt, with a view. The new build is on a postage-stamp lot backing up to the neighbors postage-stamp lot, with a view of the back of their house. You could by a house like mine, put $100K into it, if you really wanted to (it's not even that old), and have the same house, on a much, much better lot, that's even nicer than the new build, and save yourself $100K.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:37 PM

614 posts, read 592,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
You checked wrong. Lakeline Mall is in Austin. Council District 6, specifically.

Jurisdictions WebMap
You can say Austin all you like, but it's located in Cedar Park.

11200 Lakeline Mall Dr, Cedar Park, TX 78613-1501

Old 04-30-2015, 02:41 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,195,088 times
Quote:

No, it's not. It has a Cedar Park mailing address.

It is located in Austin. All sales tax that is collected there goes to Austin. Austin sets the development rules.

The post office doesn't know, and doesn't care. They just care where the closest post office is. They don't update mailing addresses when annexation occurs.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:44 PM

1,553 posts, read 916,693 times
Quote:

Might have a Cedar Park address, but it is within Austin city limits.

Nobody said the world is supposed to make sense.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
No, it's not. It has a Cedar Park mailing address.

It is located in Austin. All sales tax that is collected there goes to Austin. Austin sets the development rules.

The post office doesn't know, and doesn't care. They just care where the closest post office is. They don't update mailing addresses when annexation occurs.
By "mailing address" you actually mean "street address." And I don't care where the tax dollars go. The mall is in Cedar Park. homeinatx's point about malls in Austin stands.

In related news, a mall that is actually located in Austin, closed it's doors for good today.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:48 PM

5,407 posts, read 6,661,466 times
Quote:

The others are right, it's actually in Austin.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:52 PM

329 posts, read 201,781 times
Quote:

Kinda nit picky, but yeah, Lakeline Mall is right on the Cedar Park/Austin line. Just across the street from the mall Lakeline HEB is on the Austin side.
Can't remember the last time I went to a mall? Does the Domain count?

Old 04-30-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tams here View Post
Kinda nit picky, but yeah, Lakeline Mall is right on the Cedar Park/Austin line. Just across the street from the mall Lakeline HEB is on the Austin side.
Can't remember the last time I went to a mall? Does the Domain count?
This I agree with. But, you won't find anything on the Lakeline Mall website claiming to be located in Austin. And saying it is an Austin shopping mall because it's located literally on the very edge of town is a very weak argument.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:05 PM

1,792 posts, read 2,442,766 times
Quote:
This I agree with. But, you won't find anything on the Lakeline Mall website claiming to be located in Austin. And saying it is an Austin shopping mall because it's located literally on the very edge of town is a very weak argument.
Geez guy! The mall is located in Austin! Just accept you're wrong. Who cares where in Austin it is located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin