Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2015, 10:59 PM

126 posts, read 150,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian12345 View Post
Ok, not to derail from this debate over which side of the city line a mall is located on, but I'm kinda trying to get some advice on what I'm doing with my life and about Austin and where I should move my wife and 2 kids

I actually feel like I got a pretty good sense from people in this thread about their recommendations and concerns, and what would be a good neighborhood to move to, based on my needs/wants. Thank you everyone for your advice and thoughts, it's MUCH appreciated.

if anyone has specific thoughts about the differences, pros, cons between Steiner and Rough Hollow, please DM me, happy to get any and all feedback and suggestions.
live around the westridge estates area.. it puts you in a position to easily get to several courses (barton, fazio, lost creek, falconhead, spanish oaks, the hills, lions, austin cc, live oak and west wood...

i looked real quick around the area and found the property below fairly cheap - for the area that is. considering your budget you could throw some money in it and flip it possibly?? Then you could move around the corner into the mil dollar bracket around tumbleweed. however, im not into real esate so i dont know what im talking about.

200 North Cuernavaca Drive, Austin TX For Sale | Trulia.com

Last edited by bossh0g; 04-30-2015 at 11:18 PM..

Old 04-30-2015, 11:01 PM

126 posts, read 150,837 times
also this is the map of homes in that area with home sale prices..

Austin Real Estate & Austin Homes For Sale | Trulia.com

Old 05-01-2015, 06:16 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Quote:
Ok, not to derail from this debate over which side of the city line a mall is located on, but I'm kinda trying to get some advice on what I'm doing with my life and about Austin and where I should move my wife and 2 kids

I actually feel like I got a pretty good sense from people in this thread about their recommendations and concerns, and what would be a good neighborhood to move to, based on my needs/wants. Thank you everyone for your advice and thoughts, it's MUCH appreciated.

if anyone has specific thoughts about the differences, pros, cons between Steiner and Rough Hollow, please DM me, happy to get any and all feedback and suggestions.
But here's the thing. Most people are telling you that you should NOT live in Steiner or Rough Hollow and giving you solid advice on other areas, and you seem to be completely ignoring it.

Steiner and Rough Hollow are basically the same. The only difference is that your commute will be horrible from Steiner and even more horrible from Rough Hollow. River Place is also just like Steiner and Rough Hollow, only it will cut your commute time down by as much as 30 minutes each way. But you don't seem to want to hear or believe that.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:26 AM

733 posts, read 852,840 times
I would always choose Raleigh over Austin. I lived in Austin decades ago and just got a job transfer offer to relocate there, but declined. It's too crowded, and to my mind, too full of itself. Always was. It's the "Portlandia" of Texas.

I grew up in humidity, and hate it. I think it's tolerable only if you are directly on a beach. If you do move to Austin, try to run your errands in the very early morning.

I really think that if you like to experience new things in terms of being able to get to mountains, the sea, the historic Eastern seaboard, down to the Deep South, over to the Midwest, all easily, Raleigh is the way to go. There is so much more to drive to. That's meaningful to me, but maybe not to others. I have people in NC in that area, but sadly can't make the move there myself due to committments to others who depend upon me and due to money. I'm priced out of everywhere. Priced out of life, ha ha.

Good luck to wherever you go.

Last edited by seasick; 05-01-2015 at 06:52 AM..

Old 05-01-2015, 07:07 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,979,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
I would always choose Raleigh over Austin. I lived in Austin decades ago and just got a job transfer offer to relocate there, but declined. It's too crowded, and to my mind, too full of itself. Always was. It's the "Portlandia" of Texas.

I grew up in humidity, and hate it. I think it's tolerable only if you are directly on a beach. If you do move to Austin, try to run your errands in the very early morning.

I really think that if you like to experience new things in terms of being able to get to mountains, the sea, the historic Eastern seaboard, down to the Deep South, over to the Midwest, all easily, Raleigh is the way to go. There is so much more to drive to. That's meaningful to me, but maybe not to others. I have people in NC in that area, but sadly can't make the move there myself due to committments to others who depend upon me and due to money. I'm priced out of everywhere. Priced out of life, ha ha.

Good luck to wherever you go.
Well, except for the fact that Raleigh is more humid than Austin.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:48 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,509,374 times
A blog that covers the gentrification happening-a factor in moving here.
Austin Housing Sucks

Old 05-01-2015, 10:55 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,136 times
From seasick, #154 above...

Quote:
It's too crowded, and to my mind, too full of itself. Always was. It's the "Portlandia" of Texas.
Having lived a few decades of my adult life in Houston, Dallas, and a few weeks working in Portland... I was about to move to Austin - mostly because I could. So I visited a few times only to discover the seasick guy (above) a few years later would have it covered.

Portlandia indeed, lulz

Old 06-01-2015, 10:23 PM

115 posts, read 230,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
But here's the thing. Most people are telling you that you should NOT live in Steiner or Rough Hollow and giving you solid advice on other areas, and you seem to be completely ignoring it.

Steiner and Rough Hollow are basically the same. The only difference is that your commute will be horrible from Steiner and even more horrible from Rough Hollow. River Place is also just like Steiner and Rough Hollow, only it will cut your commute time down by as much as 30 minutes each way. But you don't seem to want to hear or believe that.
I'm not quite sure what you want, or what you're looking for with that comment.

I'm not ignoring the advice on this forum, the reason why I started this forum was to seek advice. But at some point, we have to make a decision and weigh the pros and cons. People have suggested really nice areas, and I'm appreciative of the fact that everyone took the time to give advice on where I should re-locate my family when they (and you) don't know me nor really care. I mean honestly, no one is losing sleep over my decision other than me and my wife! lets be serious. and yet, people still gave their thoughts and thats awesome...thank you!

However, I can't 100% base my decision off of a forum where some says 'place x sucks, you should live in place y'. However, I DID take it into consideration, I wrote them down, looked them up, had my realtors pull available homes in the areas, looked at commute, schools, etc. etc. etc.

I think based on where we are in our lives and what's important to us, and what we can afford, RH and Steiner seem like awesome places to raise a family. The commute will suck, I know that. I get it. I'm going to have to wake up early, and leave at weird times. But you can't have it all. That is one con to RH or Steiner. But it's just 1 factor. There are many others. And I definitely considered other places, pretty much all of them were mentioned in this thread. But just because I chose RH or Steiner doesn't mean I 100% ignored other's opinions. Could I be totally wrong and wind up absolutely hating it? Sure. It's absolutely possible. But based on all of the factors that I know and based on what we want in a place to live, that's where we're choosing. I'm sorry if it's not the place you told me to live, and while I'm appreciative of the fact that you gave your advice (and I did listen, I swear), I'm weighing all of the factors.

PS - if RH falls through and if we don't get something we like in Steiner, River Place is the backup, someone mentioned it in this thread and I did some research and it looks nice and it's one of my stops in my next visit there.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:28 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,924,863 times
Quote:

I feel like Austin is this amazing place in the middle of 'not so amazing' places. Does anyone else feel like that and is it an issue with living there? Or am I over-analyzing it and it's totally fine and if you want to get out, you just jump on a plane???
The whole "Amazing place in the middle of not so amazing places" is a bit of a reach and a bit unfair. Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio all have their plusses over Austin, which I would no way describe as amazing. It is definitely a nice place to live though, but it has its problems. Even the plane is a pain..... you have to connect everywhere.

I'd pick North Carolina in a heartbeat based on what you seem to like to do.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:21 AM

10 posts, read 37,117 times
Quote:
every day I'm going to complain about the heat and start every sentence with 'well, in the Bay Area.....' and I'm bringing all of my Silicon Valley friends with me and all we're going to talk about is how much better California is than Texas.
Love your thread, how do I join this Bay Area expat society?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin