U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-03-2015, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Warrior Country
4,577 posts, read 5,407,710 times
Reputation: 3953

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian12345 View Post
I'm not quite sure what you want, or what you're looking for with that comment.

I'm not ignoring the advice on this forum, the reason why I started this forum was to seek advice. But at some point, we have to make a decision and weigh the pros and cons. People have suggested really nice areas, and I'm appreciative of the fact that everyone took the time to give advice on where I should re-locate my family when they (and you) don't know me nor really care. I mean honestly, no one is losing sleep over my decision other than me and my wife! lets be serious. and yet, people still gave their thoughts and thats awesome...thank you!

However, I can't 100% base my decision off of a forum where some says 'place x sucks, you should live in place y'. However, I DID take it into consideration, I wrote them down, looked them up, had my realtors pull available homes in the areas, looked at commute, schools, etc. etc. etc.

I think based on where we are in our lives and what's important to us, and what we can afford, RH and Steiner seem like awesome places to raise a family. The commute will suck, I know that. I get it. I'm going to have to wake up early, and leave at weird times. But you can't have it all. That is one con to RH or Steiner. But it's just 1 factor. There are many others. And I definitely considered other places, pretty much all of them were mentioned in this thread. But just because I chose RH or Steiner doesn't mean I 100% ignored other's opinions. Could I be totally wrong and wind up absolutely hating it? Sure. It's absolutely possible. But based on all of the factors that I know and based on what we want in a place to live, that's where we're choosing. I'm sorry if it's not the place you told me to live, and while I'm appreciative of the fact that you gave your advice (and I did listen, I swear), I'm weighing all of the factors.

PS - if RH falls through and if we don't get something we like in Steiner, River Place is the backup, someone mentioned it in this thread and I did some research and it looks nice and it's one of my stops in my next visit there.
What MM was saying is that if someone ELSE (not you ) is looking for:

- golf course community.
- good to great schools.
- a preferable commute to downtown.
- nice area, nice views.
- Budget of 800K

.....then there are several options (Lost Creek, Riverplace, Great Hills, possibly Barton Creek) that are better options (given the criteria) than Lakeway or Steiner.

& I was the one who mentioned RiverPlace.

 
Old 06-04-2015, 10:27 AM
 
5,407 posts, read 6,661,466 times
Reputation: 8654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian12345 View Post
I'm not quite sure what you want, or what you're looking for with that comment.

I'm not ignoring the advice on this forum, the reason why I started this forum was to seek advice. But at some point, we have to make a decision and weigh the pros and cons. People have suggested really nice areas, and I'm appreciative of the fact that everyone took the time to give advice on where I should re-locate my family when they (and you) don't know me nor really care. I mean honestly, no one is losing sleep over my decision other than me and my wife! lets be serious. and yet, people still gave their thoughts and thats awesome...thank you!

However, I can't 100% base my decision off of a forum where some says 'place x sucks, you should live in place y'. However, I DID take it into consideration, I wrote them down, looked them up, had my realtors pull available homes in the areas, looked at commute, schools, etc. etc. etc.

I think based on where we are in our lives and what's important to us, and what we can afford, RH and Steiner seem like awesome places to raise a family. The commute will suck, I know that. I get it. I'm going to have to wake up early, and leave at weird times. But you can't have it all. That is one con to RH or Steiner. But it's just 1 factor. There are many others. And I definitely considered other places, pretty much all of them were mentioned in this thread. But just because I chose RH or Steiner doesn't mean I 100% ignored other's opinions. Could I be totally wrong and wind up absolutely hating it? Sure. It's absolutely possible. But based on all of the factors that I know and based on what we want in a place to live, that's where we're choosing. I'm sorry if it's not the place you told me to live, and while I'm appreciative of the fact that you gave your advice (and I did listen, I swear), I'm weighing all of the factors.

PS - if RH falls through and if we don't get something we like in Steiner, River Place is the backup, someone mentioned it in this thread and I did some research and it looks nice and it's one of my stops in my next visit there.
Look, I get the appeal of Steiner - I LIVE THERE. My point was that people have pointed out that all the things you think are unique to Steiner Ranch really aren't. You can find them in lots of master planned communities in and around Austin. But you seem to be brushing those other suggestions off as not being the same as Steiner or Rough Hollow. It's like you just refuse to believe us.
 
Old 06-04-2015, 03:07 PM
 
1,045 posts, read 2,001,910 times
Reputation: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
A blog that covers the gentrification happening-a factor in moving here.
Austin Housing Sucks
Sorry, but I am going to have to call this post out, as a post that I disagree with 100%.

"Gentrification" does not exist.

"Revitalization" exists, though, and it is a good thing...and the fact that (formerly) run-down neighborhoods, whether they be in Austin, Chicago, NYC, or elsewhere, are being revitalized should not be a negative factor in anyone's mind.

Face it - people have re-discovered the value in urban living, and they are going to move there. It's not the fault of the Middle Class, that the people living in run-down neighborhoods allowed their neighborhood to get run-down for so many decades. It's also not the fault of the Middle Class, that the residents of previously undesirable areas, didn't buy those areas when they were cheap. If they had, then they would own those neighborhoods lock, stock, and barrel. Mortgage purchase assistance has been available for decades, and if people didn't buy when it was cheap, then they missed the boat.
 
Old 06-04-2015, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Austin, Tx
123 posts, read 89,045 times
Reputation: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
Sorry, but I am going to have to call this post out, as a post that I disagree with 100%.

"Gentrification" does not exist.

"Revitalization" exists, though, and it is a good thing...and the fact that (formerly) run-down neighborhoods, whether they be in Austin, Chicago, NYC, or elsewhere, are being revitalized should not be a negative factor in anyone's mind.

Face it - people have re-discovered the value in urban living, and they are going to move there. It's not the fault of the Middle Class, that the people living in run-down neighborhoods allowed their neighborhood to get run-down for so many decades. It's also not the fault of the Middle Class, that the residents of previously undesirable areas, didn't buy those areas when they were cheap. If they had, then they would own those neighborhoods lock, stock, and barrel. Mortgage purchase assistance has been available for decades, and if people didn't buy when it was cheap, then they missed the boat.

Really? Many residents DID purchase homes and expect to live their lives out in them, but due to rising property taxes are now unable to afford them.

In addition, the "middle class" locals of Austin, of which I consider myself one, are very often the ones that are being pushed out and can't purchase in the "revitalized" areas of Austin.
 
Old 06-04-2015, 07:57 PM
 
5,407 posts, read 6,661,466 times
Reputation: 8654
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
Sorry, but I am going to have to call this post out, as a post that I disagree with 100%.

"Gentrification" does not exist.

"Revitalization" exists, though, and it is a good thing...and the fact that (formerly) run-down neighborhoods, whether they be in Austin, Chicago, NYC, or elsewhere, are being revitalized should not be a negative factor in anyone's mind.

Face it - people have re-discovered the value in urban living, and they are going to move there. It's not the fault of the Middle Class, that the people living in run-down neighborhoods allowed their neighborhood to get run-down for so many decades. It's also not the fault of the Middle Class, that the residents of previously undesirable areas, didn't buy those areas when they were cheap. If they had, then they would own those neighborhoods lock, stock, and barrel. Mortgage purchase assistance has been available for decades, and if people didn't buy when it was cheap, then they missed the boat.
I agree with what you are saying to an extent, but like DMfan mentioned, the taxes will kill you. Someone on a limited income, and maybe even owns their house outright, can easily have a tax bill that is more than their mortgage ever was.
 
Old 06-04-2015, 10:35 PM
 
802 posts, read 555,822 times
Reputation: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
There are vineyards just west of Austin and there are even olive groves where you can get fresh extra virgin olive oil. Some of the wines rival Napa/Sonoma.
Too funny. Some of the wines rival Temecula. Let's not get carried away here.
 
Old 06-05-2015, 02:34 AM
 
Location: The People's Republic of Austin
5,184 posts, read 5,737,150 times
Reputation: 2553
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
Too funny. Some of the wines rival Temecula. Let's not get carried away here.
No, you're too funny.

Five Texas wineries grab double-gold with Texas wines (almost) at hot SF wine competition | | Dallas Morning News

There isn't a higher rating than what those wines won. If you'd actually had the Duchman Aglianico or the Pedernales Temperanillo, you might not make such an incorrect statement. Of course, we let the Temecula level wines go to you Dallasites and keep the good stuff for us. So your confusion is understandable.

Last edited by scm53; 06-05-2015 at 03:34 AM.. Reason: Typo
 
Old 06-05-2015, 07:55 AM
 
40 posts, read 36,763 times
Reputation: 40
here we go
 
Old 06-05-2015, 07:56 AM
 
2,878 posts, read 3,860,843 times
Reputation: 3080
Quote:
Originally Posted by worry_wort View Post
It has become Mexico.
It has a very greedy element to it now.
Too many below average people moving here.
Damn it, I missed the large sign on I-35 that says "Only Nobel laureates welcome".
 
Old 06-05-2015, 08:48 AM
 
802 posts, read 555,822 times
Reputation: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
No, you're too funny.

Five Texas wineries grab double-gold with Texas wines (almost) at hot SF wine competition | | Dallas Morning News

There isn't a higher rating than what those wines won. If you'd actually had the Duchman Aglianico or the Pedernales Temperanillo, you might not make such an incorrect statement. Of course, we let the Temecula level wines go to you Dallasites and keep the good stuff for us. So your confusion is understandable.
Like I said, let's not get carried away here. A total of 5 wines out of maybe 200 or so that got the best category and double medal. Yes, that's an up and comer, and I have had most of those. They are good wines, but again let's not get carried away. About 3 for Temecula in the same 200. Seems to rival Temecula, not Napa or even Paso Robles or Santa Barbara. But nice try.

You love to pontificate the greatness of Texas over California and act like you know everything from what 8 or so years you say you lived in SD. Good for you. Oh, and one of those wines was partly made from Temecula grapes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top