U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 10:56 AM

115 posts, read 182,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakely View Post
Made a similar move (from Northern California) many years ago, so here's my thoughts.This is a strange post to write because it's focusing on the negatives- which you asked for. Yet with all that I've written above, I'm so glad we made Austin our home and I wouldn't go back. I could write a much longer post about what's been good about the move. Interestingly, initially there was a time when I clamored to go back.... but no longer.
GREAT post, thank you! I DID ask for negatives. Mainly because I see SOOOOO many positives, and I feel like I have a grasp on the positives. If I asked for the 'whats great about Austin' this board would get out of control! So I'm not trying to be a negative OP about it, I'm trying to understand the whole picture, and no place is perfect, so I wanted thoughts. but your post felt really honest.

Professional sports teams.... ugh!!! If Austin gets a pro baseball team (I know, I know guys....I'm just saying, don't jump down my throat!!!), I'm there. done. see ya! I'm a huge baseball fan so this will be tough.

Again, thank you for this post!

Old 04-25-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post
It sounds like you are trying to talk yourself out of the move before you even get here. Keep and open mind, and I'm sure you'll end up loving it.
Good Luck!
Welcome to Texas...
Definitely not the case! My wife and I have been looking at this move for years and years. We've looked at multiple cities to relocate: stay in the bay but move to another city, Seattle, Portland, San Diego, Raleigh, Boulder, and Austin keeps coming up! I'm not trying to talk myself out of it, quite the opposite. I'm trying to understand if the 'bad' things are really bad, or just inconveniences. I've been researching, talking to friends, co-workers, etc. and Austin seems like an AMAZING place to live. I visit as often as I can and I love it every single time. I feel like I have a good handle on the good parts of Austin, but I'm trying to get a whole picture of it. And I feel that straight out asking 'whats bad about atx' will get some pretty honest answers From all of my research the pros definitely outweigh the cons. (which is good and bad, depending on who you are and how you feel about the austin growth)

thank you for the post!

Old 04-25-2015, 11:13 AM

7,144 posts, read 13,074,723 times
Don't forget the allergies! For some, paging Idlewilde, they can be debilitating. Austin has seasonal allergies 12 months of the year! With terrible peaks of cedar Nov-Feb, plus fall and spring trees and grasses and mold everyday.

Austin is fine but it is terribly oversold!

Old 04-25-2015, 11:28 AM

2,178 posts, read 6,444,432 times
We left Austin for California after 8 years, mainly because we kept going to California for vacation. Austin was a great place but just became too crowded. We were at the point where we just didn't feel like fighting the crowds and traffic just to go to an event. And yes, you can hop on a plane and go somewhere, but here in California I just look out my window and see beautiful scenery or drive a couple of hours to Big Sur. A two hour drive from Austin gets you Texas.

And I totally agree with centralaustinite's last sentence.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
We were at the point where we just didn't feel like fighting the crowds and traffic just to go to an event.
So you moved to California?!?!?!?

Old 04-25-2015, 11:50 AM

2,178 posts, read 6,444,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian12345 View Post
So you moved to California?!?!?!?
Not all of California is like the Bay area or L.A. We live on the Central Coast.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:55 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,407,710 times
Hoffdano asked if you were moving here for a job. You answered:

Quote:
So, I could go on and on (and on, and on, and on) about the negatives of living in the Bay Area. Feel free to message me and I'll give you my 2 cents. I was born and raised in San Jose/South Bay so I feel like I have a really good grasp on how things are now and the direction they're going.

Money - It's amazing how people who live here are literally millionaires and live like they're in college. The quality of life for the amount of money people have in the Bay is insane. There's no sign of it slowing down (even in the recession, the Bay area really wasn't hit all that hard, relatively speaking). We don't want to be a slave to our mortgage. If we moved out of the Bay, it immediately opens us up to not have to worry about money and we get the quality of life we want.

Traffic - we live in the South Bay, our jobs are in the peninsula, kids in daycare. It's 1.5 hours door to door every single day. That's 21 hours a week I'm not with my family. We can't afford to move up the peninsula. We would spend every single dime we have to get up in the San Carlos/Mountain View area. And spending $2m on a home that is built in 1950 and small and run-down is a hard pill to swallow.

People - Bay Area people are mean. (general statement of the year, I know). But if someone says hi to you and you don't know them, you're immediately suspicious. There is absolutely no sense of community (unless you buy a $5m house in Los Altos/Palo Alto/Hills. Combine that with the amount of money/self-privileged, and it's a bad mix.

Schools - where we are at least, the schools are not great. There ARE amazing public schools in the Bay. No doubt. But being that houses are SO expensive, there's no money to do things or send your kid to private school if you want. You are a slave to your mortgage and if your school is pub-par, you're screwed.

Many, many, many more reasons and I'm happy to go in-depth about it. there are many amazing things about the Bay, but you asked for the cons.
I think more about Galveston Bay & Corpus Christi Bay (& Baffin Bay) than I do about some bay or bay area located west of the Rocky Mountains. Many of us don't care how good or bad it is, don't care how much things cost or what there is to do there.

But...I'll ask again. Do you have a job lined up? (Is that why you're having to commute downtown?) If you do, where downtown is it located.....or is "downtown" more of a theoretical destination?

Old 04-25-2015, 12:08 PM

10,775 posts, read 9,406,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janejanejanejanejane View Post
Texas beaches are disgusting. Don't let anyone try to convince you otherwise. Otherwise, Texas is the best. The end.
My son got a tarball at Huntington Beach in LA last year.

The fact is that unless you are going to Hawaii, the Florida Panhandle, or the Caribbean, the beaches are not perfect.

I honestly think TX beaches hold a candle to California. CA beaches are cold, at least I can comfortably stay in the Gulf for long periods. And don't say they're cleaner, like I said my son got a tarball at a CA beach last year.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
In Sacramento, you can go to Tahoe and Reno rather quickly just like going to the ocean. Wine country is nice as well.
There are vineyards just west of Austin and there are even olive groves where you can get fresh extra virgin olive oil. Some of the wines rival Napa/Sonoma.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
LOL. fair enough. I see your point. But at least in the Bay Area, if you want to get out, you can (fairly) easily and drive just a few hours to AMAZING, world-known places. I feel like you don't get that in Austin (or really, much other places now that I think about....it's a downside to moving away from the Bay I suppose).

I guess have you ever been unhappy with your decision to live in Austin because you're in the middle of Texas?? I don't mean that in a bad way....but looking a map, there aren't a lot of appealing places/states around there. Again, please take my comments with a grain of salt - I'm born/raised in Bay area and I realize my comment is likely offensive and I absolutely could be wrong, but please don't take it that way. Personally, I don't have any desire to go to Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, New Mex, Kansas. I've never been to San Antonio (i hear good things), I've been to Dallas, and if I never go back, I'm cool with that!

I feel like Austin is this amazing place in the middle of 'not so amazing' places. Does anyone else feel like that and is it an issue with living there? Or am I over-analyzing it and it's totally fine and if you want to get out, you just jump on a plane???
If this is your feeling, you will probably not be happy here. There are very pretty places in New Mexico like Santa Fe and in Louisiana like Cajun Country and New Orleans. If you have not the least bit inclination to visit those destinations, you will probably not like it here. There are some southern-ish qualities here that if you have no desire to experience it, you will not be happy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin