U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 12:32 PM

268 posts, read 872,835 times

Advertisements

1. Allergy
2. Terrible traffic but it's common in big cities as well. The main problem here is a city is growing without a proper plan. Austin's mayor, counselors and others whoever in charge need to learn a lot of things (Learn from San Antonio) and react accordingly and promptly. So going forward nothing will change, it will be getting much worse day by day.
3. COL is getting higher significantly, so if someone is moving to Austin for lower COL, be careful. Since it's the fastest growing city, so living cost will grow accordingly.
4. Pretty boring landscape and surrounding travel spots specially if you are coming from CA.

But still Austin has a lot to offer. And it's far better than other Texas cities.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:49 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,134,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian12345 View Post
LOL. fair enough. I see your point. But at least in the Bay Area, if you want to get out, you can (fairly) easily and drive just a few hours to AMAZING, world-known places. I feel like you don't get that in Austin (or really, much other places now that I think about....it's a downside to moving away from the Bay I suppose).

I guess have you ever been unhappy with your decision to live in Austin because you're in the middle of Texas?? I don't mean that in a bad way....but looking a map, there aren't a lot of appealing places/states around there. Again, please take my comments with a grain of salt - I'm born/raised in Bay area and I realize my comment is likely offensive and I absolutely could be wrong, but please don't take it that way. Personally, I don't have any desire to go to Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, New Mex, Kansas. I've never been to San Antonio (i hear good things), I've been to Dallas, and if I never go back, I'm cool with that!

I feel like Austin is this amazing place in the middle of 'not so amazing' places. Does anyone else feel like that and is it an issue with living there? Or am I over-analyzing it and it's totally fine and if you want to get out, you just jump on a plane???
Strange post.

I've visited CA 30-40 times in the past 30 years. The "world renowned" places (whatever the heck that means) are probably the last places I'd like to visit now. (Except for maybe the Central Coast, a couple days at Walt's park & Yosemite during the off season).

There are LOTS (weeks & weeks of trips & activities) to see in NM, LA, Ark, & OK. We could fill threads discussing far more interesting things to see in these states than in 99% of California.

But that would require a long drive (to visit those states). Closer to home there's lots to see. San Antonio (along with Boston & New Orleans) is one of the coolest cities to "Visit" in the US, (& we do so at least 3 times a year). New Braunfels has so many activites in the summer, spring & summer (& winter) that it's at least a 2-3 times a year destination for us (Google New Braunfels and Gruene). Got Presidential Libraries in Austin, College Station and Dallas. Ft. Worth is a great destination for museums & 6 other reasons. Houston for food & museums (& baseball). Corpus & Port A for a shot of Tex/Mex & pokey gulf & beach activities.

A month ago, I spent the better part of a day hearing about San Diego & California history from a tour guide. This dude was going on & on pontificating about California History. (Guess what, nothing really happened). Here we have the Alamo, Goliad (cool little town), Gonzales, San Jacinto (but wear a mask from the petro fumes). Real sh*t happened. We fought a war, won independence, became a real country. We had a politician who knew his job was as important as "a warm bucket of spit". Had another one who liked to show off his surgery scars. Another one who came up with the line "You can dress up a pig and call her Monique....but she's still a pig". Politicians & actors (same thing?) from other parts of the country take themselves so seriously....in Texas, they know they aren't as important as a Pit master or a football coach....so they don't. (Heck, it's only a part time job for state reps)

Three times as many interesting musical artists come from Texas (in all genres) than California. Look it up. Go to some places where they've played, check out the next generation of "important" artists. Go climb a rock outside Fburg. Spend a weekend at Horseshoe Bay. Spend a day on a BBQ tour in Taylor, Elgin (pronounce it right), Lockhart & Luling. (or do a BBQ tour right here in Austin). Chilispiel in Flatonia, Wurstfest in NB, drive out west (or east) & check out the Bluebonnets each April. Enjoy dozens of festivals right here in Austin. Take a week off & check out Ft. Davis & Big Bend. If you end up in Steiner, check out the Vipers some Friday night (seriously...do this) or check out 10 other Friday night light venues. Check out some quality tennis as 4 of the top 15 HS teams in the state are located south of 183, west of Mopac & North of 71. Play golf (but finish before 11:30am between May & October).

And seriously...our beaches, mountains & wine areas suck compared to California...we've got some, but don't compare them (just like we won't compare California BBQ to Texas). We don't have the Sierras...nothing really like them (hop on a plane to see them or the Rockies). No pro baseball (go to Houston or Dallas for a weekend to get your baseball/museum & fine dining fix). But no matter how many of you guys move down, We're not "CA third-coast" & we DO NOT want to be. Some of us drive trucks....because our dads did, & we like them....deal with it. Austin is "more humid" than west of the Rockies....but we are "less humid" than 2/3rds of the country that is EAST of the Rockies. (Hey Cali transplants...Stop being whiny little ethnocentrics.) & it absolutely will be HOT as HELL for 4 months (especially late july & august). Deal with it...it's a badge of honor. My kid plays 3 hours a day in it. He's tougher than 98% of the guys in national tournaments that he competes with.

Seriously dude. (I'm smiling as I say this btw...) Chunk your Sunset Magazines away & get adjusted. Pick up a few Texas Monthly's, Peruse Austin 360. Get a Texas Travel Guide from the Highway Dept. Pick up some Doug Sahm, SRV & Steve Earle CDs. Don't multi task when you listen to them. Learn how to make chili (no freaking beans). & for goodness sakes, Know your sh*t before you claim there isn't anything to do here.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:58 PM

4,585 posts, read 2,966,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Strange post.

I've visited CA 30-40 times in the past 30 years. The "world renowned" places (whatever the heck that means) are probably the last places I'd like to visit now. (Except for maybe the Central Coast, a couple days at Walt's park & Yosemite during the off season).

There are LOTS (weeks & weeks of trips & activities) to see in NM, LA, Ark, & OK. We could fill threads discussing far more interesting things to see in these states than in 99% of California.

But that would require a long drive (to visit those states). Closer to home there's lots to see. San Antonio (along with Boston & New Orleans) is one of the coolest cities to "Visit" in the US, (& we do so at least 3 times a year). New Braunfels has so many activites in the summer, spring & summer (& winter) that it's at least a 2-3 times a year destination for us (Google New Braunfels and Gruene). Got Presidential Libraries in Austin, College Station and Dallas. Ft. Worth is a great destination for museums & 6 other reasons. Houston for food & museums (& baseball). Corpus & Port A for a shot of Tex/Mex & pokey gulf & beach activities.

A month ago, I spent the better part of a day hearing about San Diego & California history from a tour guide. This dude was going on & on pontificating about California History. (Guess what, nothing really happened). Here we have the Alamo, Goliad (cool little town), Gonzales, San Jacinto (but wear a mask from the petro fumes). Real sh*t happened. We fought a war, won independence, became a real country. We had a politician who knew his job was as important as "a warm bucket of spit". Had another one who liked to show off his surgery scars. Another one who came up with the line "You can dress up a pig and call her Monique....but she's still a pig". Politicians & actors (same thing?) from other parts of the country take themselves so seriously....in Texas, they know they aren't as important as a Pit master or a football coach....so they don't. (Heck, it's only a part time job for state reps)

Three times as many interesting musical artists come from Texas (in all genres) than California. Look it up. Go to some places where they've played, check out the next generation of "important" artists. Go climb a rock outside Fburg. Spend a weekend at Horseshoe Bay. Spend a day on a BBQ tour in Taylor, Elgin (pronounce it right), Lockhart & Luling. (or do a BBQ tour right here in Austin). Chilispiel in Flatonia, Wurstfest in NB, drive out west (or east) & check out the Bluebonnets each April. Enjoy dozens of festivals right here in Austin. Take a week off & check out Ft. Davis & Big Bend. If you end up in Steiner, check out the Vipers some Friday night (seriously...do this) or check out 10 other Friday night light venues. Check out some quality tennis as 4 of the top 15 HS teams in the state are located south of 183, west of Mopac & North of 71. Play golf (but finish before 11:30am between May & October).

And seriously...our beaches, mountains & wine areas suck compared to California...we've got some, but don't compare them (just like we won't compare California BBQ to Texas). We don't have the Sierras...nothing really like them (hop on a plane to see them or the Rockies). No pro baseball (go to Houston or Dallas for a weekend to get your baseball/museum & fine dining fix). But no matter how many of you guys move down, We're not "CA third-coast" & we DO NOT want to be. Some of us drive trucks....because our dads did, & we like them....deal with it. Austin is "more humid" than west of the Rockies....but we are "less humid" than 2/3rds of the country that is EAST of the Rockies. (Hey Cali transplants...Stop being whiny little ethnocentrics.) & it absolutely will be HOT as HELL for 4 months (especially late july & august). Deal with it...it's a badge of honor. My kid plays 3 hours a day in it. He's tougher than 98% of the guys in national tournaments that he competes with.

Seriously dude. (I'm smiling as I say this btw...) Chunk your Sunset Magazines away & get adjusted. Pick up a few Texas Monthly's, Peruse Austin 360. Get a Texas Travel Guide from the Highway Dept. Pick up some Doug Sahm, SRV & Steve Earle CDs. Don't multi task when you listen to them. Learn how to make chili (no freaking beans). & for goodness sakes, Know your sh*t before you claim there isn't anything to do here.
Now that's some serious flag-waving sass right there. Hope you feel better, getting that all off your chest. Whew.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
If this is your feeling, you will probably not be happy here. There are very pretty places in New Mexico like Santa Fe and in Louisiana like Cajun Country and New Orleans. If you have not the least bit inclination to visit those destinations, you will probably not like it here. There are some southern-ish qualities here that if you have no desire to experience it, you will not be happy here.
Yeah, the "nothing to do in NM & Louisiana" comment was what threw me. I could put together a list of 100 amazing things to do in each of these states. And there are lots places/towns in western Ark and eastern OK that are worth visiting.

But I think the guy will be OK...he "knows not what he says" now, but he'll be dancing to a Zydeco washboard rub band within a year or two (after sucking on a head or two).

Last edited by hound 109; 04-25-2015 at 01:14 PM..

Old 04-25-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Now that's some serious flag-waving sass right there. Hope you feel better, getting that all off your chest. Whew.
Just informing the poster that there are a couple of activities & places both in and outside of Austin that might occupy one's time here.....if he was inclined to venture out.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:01 PM

41 posts, read 38,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
?

Austin (both the city and the metro) are larger than Raleigh.
The biggest con of Austin is the traffic. You will get nowhere fast, and forget it if there's an accident somewhere, which happen a lot. There are no plans to fix the traffic situation until year 2040. It's bad and only getting worse with all the sky rise condos being built downtown. The traffic is getting even worse in surrounding cities as well. We are leaving Austin for this reason.

Also, the water here is almost as expensive as your electric bill because we have been in a drought for nearly 6 years.

It's hot and overcrowded and everywhere you go is infested with people.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:13 PM

41 posts, read 38,382 times
The biggest con of Austin is the traffic. I know you already mentioned it. You will get nowhere fast, and forget it if there's an accident somewhere, which happen a lot. The worst part is, there are no plans to fix the traffic situation until year 2040. It's bad and only getting worse with all the sky rise condos being built downtown. The traffic is getting even worse in surrounding cities as well. Public transportation here is a joke.

Also, the water here is almost as expensive as your electric bill because we have been in a drought for nearly 6 years.

It's hot and overcrowded and everywhere you go is infested with people, but I suppose you are probably used to that coming from California.

PROS: The food here is amazing. Tons of good restaurants to check out. Lively nightlife. A lot of tourism. ACL, SxSW, car shows, motorcycle rallies, you name it.

I don't know whether this is a pro or a con for you, but Austinites LOVE to drink. A bar and/or liquor store on every street corner. People here work hard, and play harder. Lake Austin is beautiful. If you have a boat or plan to have a boat, lake Austin and Lake Travis are both easily accessible from Steiner Ranch, although Lake Travis is basically a puddle right now. Lake Austin can be accessed from Quinlan Park Road straight from Steiner, and that lake is maintained.

I don't know much about Raliegh, but we plan on moving to NC next year (Asheville). We are ready to escape the heat and have some real places to hike. Nothing in Austin compares. The greenbelts are overcrowded, tons of bugs and snakes, mountain bikers nearly plowing you over ever 10 seconds...

Old 04-25-2015, 10:40 PM

115 posts, read 170,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Strange post.

I've visited CA 30-40 times in the past 30 years. The "world renowned" places (whatever the heck that means) are probably the last places I'd like to visit now.
Not to get off topic, but yes. World famous destinations all around. Go north, you run in to San Francisco. I personally am not an SF person and I try to avoid it as much as possible. BUUUUUUT, it is beautiful and if you stick to the touristy stuff, it's fine. Further north is Napa and Sonoma. Go east you run into the Sierras, definitely world famous. Lake Tahoe. Go south.... you get Monterrey, Pebble Beach, 17 mile drive. Go west you get Santa Crruz, Mavericks. ok, you have to drive south for a while, but you get Santa Barbara, and further down you get Disneyland (about a 5.5 hour drive from san jose). There's Yosemite not that far away. The point is, you can get to every different landscape within a few hours. I'm not sure that's the feeling in Austin.

Again, it's totally fine, and being from California, I know I'm spoiled in the weather and topography. My question is simply around - do you ever find yourself saying to yourself "we can't do a day trip anywhere because there's no where to go?" If yes, that's good to know and understand going in. If no, why not and what do people do? that's all

Old 04-26-2015, 12:01 AM

319 posts, read 463,837 times
Why Steiner ranch? You've likely got budget to live much closer. There's really nice teardowns in urban areas with good to great schools.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:32 AM

2,623 posts, read 5,451,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian12345 View Post
Again, it's totally fine, and being from California, I know I'm spoiled in the weather and topography. My question is simply around - do you ever find yourself saying to yourself "we can't do a day trip anywhere because there's no where to go?" If yes, that's good to know and understand going in. If no, why not and what do people do? that's all
Yes, you can run out of day trips after a while because there are less "repeat" destinations compared to CA. Having grown up in CA, I've gone snowboarding in the morning, surfing in the afternoon, and then to the horse races and a concert that evening all on the same day. CA is a unique place for day and weekend trips. Sure there are things to do here, but you won't be able to get a season ski pass within daily driving distance even though you live on the beach.

It's just different activities, but I was much more suited to Southern CA as a single guy in my 20's. Now with a family, I won't be deciding to drive to Vegas on a Friday afternoon on a whim so I don't care as much. Honestly, when I lived in the South Bay for two years, it seemed like the day trips that I wanted to do were very far away compared to living in San Diego so it somewhat depends on what you're used to. Living in the Bay Area didn't allow me to do a half day of snowboarding while still having my evening free to do other things. It seemed like the Bay Area was really far away from Vegas because you can't leave work at 5:30 on a Friday and be checking into your Vegas hotel by 10pm. Sure there were other things to do, but I missed the things that I had always done on a regular basis. You need to adjust to different activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin