U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-26-2015, 06:57 PM
 
40 posts, read 36,763 times
Reputation: 40

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian12345 View Post
Steiner seems to have the best mix for us in terms of community, schools, the golf club is right there. We are debating between a new build in the back of Steiner (brand new big house vs. getting in and out of Steiner every day could get old really fast) vs. finding something near the golf course and remodeling the inside if needed.

The big thing for Steiner is schools. I've looked at Lakeway and based on research and talking to some friends who live there, the middle/high schools are not as good as Steiner/Vandergrift. please, please, PLEASE, tell me if this is totally inaccurate!!!!

Where else should we be looking if not Steiner? Family/community (we have 2 small kids and we'd need to make friends pretty quickly). Are there pockets in Lakeway that feed into really good schools? (again, based on rankings and what I've heard from people, Lake Travis HS is ok, not great...true?)

Budget would be in the 800's.

Hit me with it!! Where else should we be looking?!?
Mueller and private schools. Golf course is across the street.

 
Old 04-26-2015, 07:07 PM
 
143 posts, read 87,076 times
Reputation: 155
800,000 gets you into Westlake, why oh why would you live in Steiner?
 
Old 04-26-2015, 07:37 PM
 
147 posts, read 162,584 times
Reputation: 234
Temecula. Believe me, everything you're explaining as a priority is there.

As was the case in your other thread, it's not here.
 
Old 04-26-2015, 08:26 PM
 
115 posts, read 182,800 times
Reputation: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.adams33 View Post
Man. If this is the info driving your decision making, you need to erase and start over.

Where is your job? Is it an actual job offer, or imaginary?
Why? What glaring problems am I seeing that I should??


I'm looking at state/national rankings and Steiner has good schools, statistically. Looking at Lake Travis, it looks like Elementary is great, middle is ok, and Lake Travis HS is just ok. when compared nationally to Vandergrift, Vandergrift wins - ive seen the school and sports, looks very nice.

Why are people anti-Vandergrift?

I mean honestly, my kids are 4 and 2. Pretty the HS issue will change in the next 10 years so while we're thinking about districts, its not a huge deal now. We just want to stay put - my wife moved when she was in HS and it was really hard on her so we'd like to avoid that.

Short term - elementary is SUPER important, middle is important too, and HS is a bit further out - but no one know what the future holds for HS.


I'm in tech in the Bay Area and there is an office in Downtown Austin, I dont recall the streets, but it's walking distance from the W, which is on Lavaca. I'd be able to get a straight transfer - no pay cut. So, it's basically a raise given there's no state income tax (close to 10% in California). I'd also likely build out the team so while not guaranteed, its likely a path to promotion. There are also lots of companies that I'm networked pretty well in, so even if I decide to leave my job in the future, I'd have options in pretty much the same area. (downtown). In the Silicon Valley, Austin is seen as Silicon Valley part 2 - if there's a hot startup here, once it gets enough capital to move operations to Austin they do. It's happened at the last 3 companies I've worked for. I guess, what I'm saying is get ready for more transplants - as the cost of living goes up and with price per square feet hovering around 800-1000/sq. ft for homes, people will get pushed out. Everyone is in tech - austin is the 'cool' place to be with the same tech companies. this is good or really bad, depending on your thoughts about Austin growth. sorry off topic, but important info nonetheless!

We have a house in San Jose, which we're debating renting out or straight selling now.
 
Old 04-26-2015, 08:29 PM
 
115 posts, read 182,800 times
Reputation: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.adams33 View Post
Temecula. Believe me, everything you're explaining as a priority is there.

As was the case in your other thread, it's not here.
as in San Diego?
 
Old 04-26-2015, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
10,779 posts, read 9,406,760 times
Reputation: 6137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian12345 View Post
Why? What glaring problems am I seeing that I should??


I'm looking at state/national rankings and Steiner has good schools, statistically. Looking at Lake Travis, it looks like Elementary is great, middle is ok, and Lake Travis HS is just ok. when compared nationally to Vandergrift, Vandergrift wins - ive seen the school and sports, looks very nice.

Why are people anti-Vandergrift?

I mean honestly, my kids are 4 and 2. Pretty the HS issue will change in the next 10 years so while we're thinking about districts, its not a huge deal now. We just want to stay put - my wife moved when she was in HS and it was really hard on her so we'd like to avoid that.

Short term - elementary is SUPER important, middle is important too, and HS is a bit further out - but no one know what the future holds for HS.


I'm in tech in the Bay Area and there is an office in Downtown Austin, I dont recall the streets, but it's walking distance from the W, which is on Lavaca. I'd be able to get a straight transfer - no pay cut. So, it's basically a raise given there's no state income tax (close to 10% in California). I'd also likely build out the team so while not guaranteed, its likely a path to promotion. There are also lots of companies that I'm networked pretty well in, so even if I decide to leave my job in the future, I'd have options in pretty much the same area. (downtown). In the Silicon Valley, Austin is seen as Silicon Valley part 2 - if there's a hot startup here, once it gets enough capital to move operations to Austin they do. It's happened at the last 3 companies I've worked for. I guess, what I'm saying is get ready for more transplants - as the cost of living goes up and with price per square feet hovering around 800-1000/sq. ft for homes, people will get pushed out. Everyone is in tech - austin is the 'cool' place to be with the same tech companies. this is good or really bad, depending on your thoughts about Austin growth. sorry off topic, but important info nonetheless!

We have a house in San Jose, which we're debating renting out or straight selling now.
When it comes to elementary schools, Steiner Ranch Elementary, Laura Bush, and River Ridge are probably better than anything in LT ISD, and CRMS is better than anything in LT ISD. However, you wanted to argue high school, and they are two worlds apart. Most of the reason is LTHS has had longer time to get established. But for you with a 4 year old, SRE, LB, or RR will be fine.

From what I hear, there's a large drug problem at Vandegrift. My ex also used to teach at Vandegrift, so I can tell you many stories as well. All is not right there. Listen, you can either listen to locals who are "in the know" or you can go by what you read on some blog or whatever. I'm telling you, LTHS is superior to Vandegrift in just about everything, from sports to teachers to academics.

For $800K you can do well in Steiner but even at that price you won't be on the water. Most of the homes at the end of Flat Top Ranch start at over $1M and are 1-3M price range. But you can get a really nice house for that price, non-waterfront.
 
Old 04-26-2015, 08:32 PM
 
115 posts, read 182,800 times
Reputation: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaggie View Post
Your budget is $800,000 and you are looking in Steiner. Seriously? Dude, the world is your oyster.
I said that and I realize it sounds super snooty. I'm sorry. I'm not loaded.....well, I'm not loaded here, at least. In the Bay Area, 800k gets you a box, that you'd have to split rent with a homeless dude. Seriously, look it up, palo alto, los altos, san carlos, belmont - go to redfin, get a single family home and max 800k. If nothing comes up, it's not an error....it doesnt exist!
 
Old 04-26-2015, 08:34 PM
 
115 posts, read 182,800 times
Reputation: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Listen, you can either listen to locals who are "in the know" or you can go by what you read on some blog or whatever. I'm telling you, LTHS is superior to Vandegrift in just about everything, from sports to teachers to academics.
that's why I'm asking on this thread! thank you! I realize that national stats are not the end-all-be-all. in a lot of cases, they're total crap and mostly skewed. i figured you guys would be in the know, and be honest

thanks for the response!
 
Old 04-26-2015, 08:41 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
10,779 posts, read 9,406,760 times
Reputation: 6137
LTHS offers the "real" Texas high school experience with football looming large, school pride, traditions, history, dedicated teachers, involved parents, good curriculum, and many other things.
 
Old 04-26-2015, 09:02 PM
 
147 posts, read 162,584 times
Reputation: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian12345 View Post
that's why I'm asking on this thread! thank you! I realize that national stats are not the end-all-be-all. in a lot of cases, they're total crap and mostly skewed. i figured you guys would be in the know, and be honest

thanks for the response!
And there's not a single national stat that's going to put VHS above

LASA
Westwood
Westlake
Anderson
LTHS
DSHS

And their associated tracks. But go ahead, Californian, move to Steiner despite every single person that's weighed in saying that every data point you're using to validate this decision being flawed.

$800K will get you into Eanes, and a twenty minute commute. Maybe you can prove to those kids that they're so important by actually being there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top