U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 11:11 AM

913 posts, read 986,888 times

Advertisements

You can choose to be north of Austin if you settle somewhere that is very close to 183, 45, or 130. You can make the airport in 30 minutes off peak if you are close to one of those highways. Otherwise it is not doable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 11:32 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,391,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmer View Post
You can choose to be north of Austin if you settle somewhere that is very close to 183, 45, or 130. You can make the airport in 30 minutes off peak if you are close to one of those highways. Otherwise it is not doable.
I agree, new areas in P'ville and east RR would hit most of the items on the OPs data point list.

Given what you are looking for, I would look at the P'ville/East RR area mentioned above, or SW Austin (feeding into Bowie HS).

Or if a 10-20 min. further Airport commute isn't bothersome, look at NW Austin (feeding into Anderson, McNeil, WWHS...or possibly into CPHS & Vista Ridge HS)

Old 04-25-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
I agree, new areas in P'ville and east RR would hit most of the items on the OPs data point list.

Given what you are looking for, I would look at the P'ville/East RR area mentioned above, or SW Austin (feeding into Bowie HS).

Or if a 10-20 min. further Airport commute isn't bothersome, look at NW Austin (feeding into Anderson, McNeil, WWHS...or possibly into CPHS & Vista Ridge HS)
It's not 10-20 minutes further in NW Austin, so long as you stay near or south of 45 and get as close to 183 as possible. Maybe 5 minutes at most. 183 is actually pretty fast to the airport if you're the type to fly out at 6am. But 130 is definitely faster. I think you can get from blackhawk or falcon ridge to the airport in almost 20 minutes. But even something like Highland Horizon or any of the neighborhoods along Gattis School will get you onto 45/130 fast enough. 40 minutes would get you Avery Ranch, I think.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:52 PM

700 posts, read 669,381 times
We live in Avery Ranch and get to the airport off- peak in 30 minutes every single time

Old 04-25-2015, 05:53 PM

5,184 posts, read 5,724,158 times
The difference is, from 78749, it is 25 min to or from the airport, whether it is 4 AM or 4 PM, 8 AM or 8 PM. Try that any place else.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
The difference is, from 78749, it is 25 min to or from the airport, whether it is 4 AM or 4 PM, 8 AM or 8 PM. Try that any place else.
The poster specifically asked for off peak times. I know someone who lives waaay out of the city they fly in/out of, but it works for them because their job requires flying out at 5am and back at 8pm or later. They think the schools are worth it and they never deal with traffic, just straight travel time. It's possible that the poster of this thread is in a similar situation. Both areas are worth considering if they are.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:20 PM

10,722 posts, read 10,114,434 times
I've resided in Pflugerville for ten plus years, and RRE for under a month. I think both would work for you for the following reasons:

-- newer sections of Pflugerville definitely check off what you're looking for, plus the school track is solid. The elementary and middle schools are particularly strong. The high school is not as strong as either of them but it does offer a solid education and offers AP courses. It definitely isn't Ghetto High.

--Sorento is a new development that features the higher end homes (above $400k). There are also parts of Blackhawk and Falcon Pointe that are in that range.

--It is a pretty straightforward drive to the airport. not sure if it is under 30 mins though.

--While yes, there are chains and the like, there is a sense of community and lots of local establishments. Truth is, though, many people prefer and patronize chains. That's just the reality. Also, for a long time the area was underserved by retail period, so the presence of so many familiar chains is actually a boon for the economy (thereby lowering your tax rate).

--low crime.

I would have loved to continue living in Pflugerville, but I wanted a larger lot and frankly, more trees. Older Pflugerville has the trees, but the schools aren't as good and the lots aren't as big. Plus those homes are never for sale. Round Rock East, particularly south of 79 and north of Gattis School Road is pretty scenic, if you ask me. School track, like Pville's, is solid, but the high school (Cedar Ridge) isn't the best of RRISD. That probably drags things down a bit but the elementary and middle are still good. Plenty of neighborhood kids still go to the public schools, so obviously people around here aren't caught up with school ratings all that much.

I would suggest our neighborhood to you, just because it's nothing short of awesome, and is anything but "you've seen one, you've seen them all". Yet it's still close to lots of things. Here's a home for sale at $525k...there are those that are lower, including a one story. Good luck. We're very happy here and intend to move nowhere else until we're old.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
The poster specifically asked for off peak times. I know someone who lives waaay out of the city they fly in/out of, but it works for them because their job requires flying out at 5am and back at 8pm or later. They think the schools are worth it and they never deal with traffic, just straight travel time. It's possible that the poster of this thread is in a similar situation. Both areas are worth considering if they are.
Absolutely, you can. But why would you?

If anyone thinks they are in control of one's arrival of departure times, then they don't fly the 125,000+ miles I've flown for each of the last ten years. You might have a plan, you might have a preference. Weather has something to say about it - on a pretty consistent basis - especially in a town like Austin that is so dependent on connecting flights.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Absolutely, you can. But why would you?
People make decisions based on the way they feeeeel about a place all the time. So if for some reason they don't feel about SW Austin they way you do, there are other somewhat reasonable alternatives for them offered in this thread. I couldn't tell you why people put their hearts over their heads when buying a home, but I'm sure some real estate agents could chime in and give you their theories.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
So if for some reason they don't feel about SW Austin they way you do, there are other somewhat reasonable alternatives for them offered in this thread.
It doesn't have anything to do with how I "feel" about anyplace. It has to do with the fact that the drive from ABIA to Westwood HS can take up to an hour, when the same drive, at the same time, to 78749 never takes more than 28 minutes.

As I said, why would anyone want to do that to themselves, when they don't have to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or