U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 01:15 PM

78 posts, read 77,454 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move to Austin next summer bc my husband was relocated for his job. I'm starting to look at the various towns around Austin to live. He will be working downtown on Brazos St. I really like Round Rock and see that there's the Lakeline MetroRail station right near there. Is this an easy commute? Right now we take the train from the Philly suburbs to the city and it takes about 40 min, so that isn't the issue for us. Just want to make sure that it's reliable over there. Any insight or experiences you have would be great!

Also, are they planning to expand the rail to other parts of the surrounding areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 06:09 PM

8,116 posts, read 13,478,621 times
"Right near" Round Rock might be a little misleading. Depending on 'where' in Round Rock, you could easily be a half hour away from the Lakeline Station. Even the RR ETJ on Avery Ranch Blvd/O'Connor could be twenty minutes by the time you get through the school zones and the intersection of AR Blvd and Parmer.

Not sure what you find interesting about Round Rock; but its proximity to the Lakeline Station shouldn't be a main factor.

I don't expect Round Rock to have direct rail to Austin in this century(I would say in my lifetime; but that may not be much of a window...given my advanced age )

Old 04-27-2015, 04:54 AM

The Westwood High School side of RR is about 4-5 miles from the station. The ranking of the school appeals to me as well as the proximity to the rail. We are used to public transit so I thought that would be better for us than driving from a closer distance, bc I have heard traffic is awful there.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:10 AM

41 posts, read 48,490 times
Leander has a metro station and good schools. Also is right off 183 which isn't nearly as bad as taking 35.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:43 AM

3,567 posts, read 5,291,899 times
Wells Branch area has good access to the Howard Station in North Austin. Not sure about the parking situation at Howard, but I have heard the Lakeline station lot fills up.

Also don't forget about rapid and express bus services, they can be just as quick as the train depending on your origin and destination.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:00 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,462,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesslauren310 View Post
The Westwood High School side of RR is about 4-5 miles from the station. The ranking of the school appeals to me as well as the proximity to the rail. We are used to public transit so I thought that would be better for us than driving from a closer distance, bc I have heard traffic is awful there.
4-5 miles can sometimes take 25-30 minutes in itself, during rush hour. I live 5 miles from that Metrorail station and on the rare occasion that I'm able to ride it to something downtown for work, I have to allow at least 30-40 minutes just to get there because of traffic and then finding a place to park at the Lakeline Station.

Someone had mentioned Howard Station. From my experience, it fills up too during rush hour commute. I don't know about the Leander Station, though.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:06 AM

5,184 posts, read 5,725,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Also don't forget about rapid and express bus services, they can be just as quick as the train depending on your origin and destination.
I'm betting that when the Mopac toll lanes open in September, Express Busses will beat rail because they won't be stuck in the traffic and are moving at 60 MPH, almost non-stop from their origin.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:09 AM

147 posts, read 161,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesslauren310 View Post
Westwood HS is not in Round Rock. If you're looking for that attendance zone, and the possible use of the rail:

1. Budget?
2. Work location (rail drops off on the SE corner of Downtown, if you're working at 15th and Lavaca, it's not really much of an option.)
3. Housing needs/wants

Old 04-27-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Wells Branch area has good access to the Howard Station in North Austin. Not sure about the parking situation at Howard, but I have heard the Lakeline station lot fills up.

I don't know anything about the rapid/express bus services. Is that on the scheduling website? And I'd just look to see where the station stops are?

Old 04-27-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.adams33 View Post
Westwood HS is not in Round Rock. If you're looking for that attendance zone, and the possible use of the rail:

1. Budget?
2. Work location (rail drops off on the SE corner of Downtown, if you're working at 15th and Lavaca, it's not really much of an option.)
3. Housing needs/wants
1. Budget is up to 500k, would prefer to stick around 450k
2. Work location is excellent for the rail. It drops him off at 0.4 miles from his office
3. 4 bedroom, 2.5+ bathroom. 2500-3000 square feet max, don't want anything above that. and we'd prefer updated/pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or