U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 09:58 PM

3,108 posts, read 6,480,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangergrit View Post
Are you aware the majority opinion in AUS is "Interning" is the the privileged taking advantage of the oppressed? Unions and others are trying to make that illegal.
Internships vary anywhere from being paid $60/hour in Midtown Manhattan to volunteering at a women's shelter. Because of the oversaturation of the liberal arts field, many unfortunately are effectively obligated to sacrifice pay in order to get the experience that will distinguish themselves. It's a reality that many in previous generations are unaware of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 10:21 PM

2,090 posts, read 2,018,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Internships vary anywhere from being paid $60/hour in Midtown Manhattan to volunteering at a women's shelter. Because of the oversaturation of the liberal arts field, many unfortunately are effectively obligated to sacrifice pay in order to get the experience that will distinguish themselves. It's a reality that many in previous generations are unaware of.
It's a reality that many in previous generations avoided by (A) picking a major that ended with a marketable skill or (B) taking a job that paid in spite of being outside the course of study or being underemployed.

Volunteering in a women's shelter or other worthwhile endeavor is something many in previous generations sacrificed for because it was a good thing to do, in addition to working those pesky jobs to pay the bills.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
It's a reality that many in previous generations avoided by (A) picking a major that ended with a marketable skill or (B) taking a job that paid in spite of being outside the course of study or being underemployed.

Volunteering in a women's shelter or other worthwhile endeavor is something many in previous generations sacrificed for because it was a good thing to do, in addition to working those pesky jobs to pay the bills.
This is quickly getting off topic, but you can't deny that both college and the "follow your passion" narrative were pushed on Milennials pretty hard at a very impressionable age. The world is way more competitive than it used to be.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:00 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,395,690 times
Quote:
It wasn't unheard of at all 20 and 30 years ago either. Many of the internships available to those in "marketable" degree programs were unpaid or had a sub-living wages. One took them to gain experience and make contacts within their chosen industry. We made it work then, and there's no reason people can't make it work now.

Quote:
This is quickly getting off topic, but you can't deny that both college and the "follow your passion" narrative were pushed on Milennials pretty hard at a very impressionable age. The world is way more competitive than it used to be.
No it isn't. There's just a larger group of people who are now unwilling to do the work it takes and make the sacrifices that are required to get ahead in this world. And the internet gives them a much bigger platform upon which to display their angst.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:36 AM

6,096 posts, read 15,359,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
No it isn't [more competitive world now]. There's just a larger group of people who are now unwilling to do the work it takes and make the sacrifices that are required to get ahead in this world. And the internet gives them a much bigger platform upon which to display their angst.
I agree with this. If the world is more competitive it's because people are trying to get ahead and win with less meaningful effort. It's not enough to think of oneself as deserving, which is what a lot of the younger generation seem to do. One must be deemed worthy by those who hire.

That said, I have a daughter interviewing as she graduates this year from college. She checked all the "treadmill" checkboxes - internships every summer (all unpaid), Honors Graduate, high GPA, worked for the school newspaper, etc. Many of the Entry Level jobs in which she is interested have been retitled "Paid Internship".

It seems as if maybe businesses are doing away with the 90 day probationary period for new hires and just calling them 'paid interns' instead. If traced backwards, I'll bet this policy has something to do with legal considerations, and job classifications and employee count, perhaps as it relates to ObamaCare, but it's probably more than just that. It's a litigious world, and interns are probably less of a liability than employees, and it's a buyer's market for entry level employees.

Steve

Old 05-01-2015, 06:46 AM

2,090 posts, read 2,018,615 times
Quote:
Think for a moment about that statement. You believe the world today is more competitive than at the end of WWII when our GI's came home? You believe that there is more competition today than when our forefathers traveled west to the frontiers of this country, or left Europe to risk everything at a chance for a dream?

The problem is that today our children's generation is replacing "the right to the pursuit of happiness" with the entitlement to be made happy. I worked to put myself through college while raising a family and changed careers a couple different times before learning to be satisfied with where I am. If a young adult today needs to intern for awhile at the same time they work a second shift or drive a few extra hours - hop to it.

It's time to tell the kids that it is a tough life out there and employers don't really care about making you feel valuable like the tenured profs did in school where you pursued a worthless degree program.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Think for a moment about that statement. You believe the world today is more competitive than at the end of WWII when our GI's came home? You believe that there is more competition today than when our forefathers traveled west to the frontiers of this country, or left Europe to risk everything at a chance for a dream?

The problem is that today our children's generation is replacing "the right to the pursuit of happiness" with the entitlement to be made happy. I worked to put myself through college while raising a family and changed careers a couple different times before learning to be satisfied with where I am. If a young adult today needs to intern for awhile at the same time they work a second shift or drive a few extra hours - hop to it.

It's time to tell the kids that it is a tough life out there and employers don't really care about making you feel valuable like the tenured profs did in school where you pursued a worthless degree program.
Ah, the old "This generation is more entitled than previous ones" line. I have no idea what your age is, but anecdotally speaking, both my parents and my grandparents, as well as friends within their generation are often bewildered at the hours and difficulty of work that they see me and my friends put in just to have job security. I won't deny that the "Greatest Generation" that you speak of worked harder than all of us and we still reap the benefits. But you'll have to excuse me when I say that the generations that were able to pay off their car and tuition with a weekend or summer job, and effectively be guaranteed a job with benefits upon graduation (i.e. People like my parents and grandparents) generally aren't very good at measuring competitiveness.

But hey, I'm just a whiny entitled 20-something who shouldn't be taken seriously anyway. So is the OP, who is doing his best to boost his chances at getting a job and being told by others on this forum he should just get a job.

Last edited by Westerner92; 05-01-2015 at 07:31 AM..

Old 05-01-2015, 07:51 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,395,690 times
Quote:
Ah, the old "This generation is more entitled than previous ones" line. I have no idea what your age is, but anecdotally speaking, both my parents and my grandparents, as well as friends within their generation are often bewildered at the hours and difficulty of work that they see me and my friends put in just to have job security. I won't deny that the "Greatest Generation" that you speak of worked harder than all of us and we still reap the benefits. But you'll have to excuse me when I say that the generations that were able to pay off their car and tuition with a weekend or summer job, and effectively be guaranteed a job with benefits upon graduation (i.e. People like my parents and grandparents) generally aren't very good at measuring competitiveness.

But hey, I'm just a whiny entitled 20-something who shouldn't be taken seriously anyway.
This is completely revisionist history. Everyone -- and I mean everyone -- I know worked their way through college. Not a one of us moved back home afterwards --- all in spite of the fact that we graduated during the thick of the great recession of the early 80s. There were no "guaranteed jobs" and everyone I know had and continues to have a strong work ethic. Sixty to eighty hour weeks are the norm for us and have been throughout our careers.

My opinion is based on years of experience, particularly in the hiring of recent college grads. I realize how difficult it can be when the real world lets them know they aren't the super special snowflake their parents have told them they are since birth and that a competitive workplace is the norm --- just like it was 20 and more years ago.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
This is completely revisionist history. Everyone -- and I mean everyone -- I know worked their way through college. Not a one of us moved back home afterwards --- all in spite of the fact that we graduated during the thick of the great recession of the early 80s. There were no "guaranteed jobs" and everyone I know had and continues to have a strong work ethic. Sixty to eighty hour weeks are the norm for us and have been throughout our careers.
Duly noted. That's quite a different story than what others have told me. I'm just floored at the flippant "just get a job" mentality that so many people have as if opportunities are readily handed out.

I really wish I had more time to discuss how entitled me and my generation are, but alas, I don't. OP, you really should just get a job. Hope I see you on the same side of the widening wage gap.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:37 PM

11 posts, read 8,264 times
Wow didn't meant to spark this whole internship vs job and entitled millennials debate I just wanted to know if it'd be feasible making the commute from SA to Austin for an internship or not. And obviously I do really want a job but I'd like some resume boosters too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin