U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 07:14 AM

5,184 posts, read 5,743,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
In the year 2525, if man is still alive
If woman can survive, they may find...
Well, since we are on prophetic song lyrics, ...

"Don't it always seem to go.
That you don't know what you've got.
Till it's gone"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 10:09 AM

1,593 posts, read 1,830,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Well, since we are on prophetic song lyrics, ...

"Don't it always seem to go.
That you don't know what you've got.
Till it's gone"
Gather 'round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown

And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone
If your time to you
Is worth savin'

Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'

Old 04-29-2015, 10:25 AM

6,100 posts, read 15,398,626 times
There is no pain you are receding
A distant ship smoke on the horizon
You are only coming through in waves
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying
When I was a child
I caught a fleeting glimpse
Out of the corner of my eye
I turned to look but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown
The dream is gone
I have become comfortably numb.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:35 AM

5,184 posts, read 5,743,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
For the times they are a-changin'
Dylan himself has said that song was about the passage of the Civil Rights Act earlier that year in '63. But if you want to make it about a pell mell rush for "change", who am I to stop you?

Old 04-29-2015, 10:54 AM

1,593 posts, read 1,830,688 times
Quote:
Dylan himself has said that song was about the passage of the Civil Rights Act earlier that year in '63. But if you want to make it about a pell mell rush for "change", who am I to stop you?
Not a rush for change the fear of change is what I'm getting at.

Eh, one of the stories I remember was that Joni was writing about a parking lot at a hotel where she was staying in Hawaii or Thailand or someplace leafy, now in theory she parked her car in that very lot to stay at said hotel.

I suspect that both parking lot and hotel were once paradise.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:56 AM

677 posts, read 492,501 times
Quote:
No one is "rushing for change" to the city. It is just a natural fact of life. You can live miserable that what you "lost" is "gone" or you can appreciate the city for what it is - which is a pretty amazing place to live. Life is change, all cities change all the time. Growing or dieing. One way or another everything is changing.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:38 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,415,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddATX View Post
No one is "rushing for change" to the city. It is just a natural fact of life. You can live miserable that what you "lost" is "gone" or you can appreciate the city for what it is - which is a pretty amazing place to live. Life is change, all cities change all the time. Growing or dieing. One way or another everything is changing.
Change is inevitable. Those of us who have been here awhile will make adjustments, or are possibly contemplating plan B options for the future.... but we respectfully suggest to the highly educated & progressive newcomers that they not toss the baby out with the bathwater.

What is amusing is that not only do change agents want long time Austinites to embrace change....they want us to LIKE change (even when it affects us negatively) & they expect us to PAY for all the new public wants & infrastructure needs (caused by the change) ....and then (by god) we better be happy about paying for it. Less we be called miserable grumps for not appreciating the change that's being shoved up our.....er', I mean shoved down our throats.

Last edited by hound 109; 04-29-2015 at 11:59 AM..

Old 04-29-2015, 01:18 PM

6,383 posts, read 11,540,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddATX View Post
This is key. It is almost impossible for a city to stay static.

A city is either growing or dying. If a city is growing at a typical rate of 3%/year then in 25 years it will double. 3% is just from people reproducing.

If a city is staying static that means people are leaving to balance off reproduction and so the average age will keep going up.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:20 PM

6,383 posts, read 11,540,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Change is inevitable. Those of us who have been here awhile will make adjustments, or are possibly contemplating plan B options for the future.... but we respectfully suggest to the highly educated & progressive newcomers that they not toss the baby out with the bathwater.

What is amusing is that not only do change agents want long time Austinites to embrace change....they want us to LIKE change (even when it affects us negatively) & they expect us to PAY for all the new public wants & infrastructure needs (caused by the change) ....and then (by god) we better be happy about paying for it. Less we be called miserable grumps for not appreciating the change that's being shoved up our.....er', I mean shoved down our throats.
Keep in mind the change agents might be the children. A fact of growing old is not understanding the new generations and the change they want to make. Historically children always want to live differently than their parents.

It is easy to blame it on the transplants, but a lot of it is the children who are now adults.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:39 PM

1,428 posts, read 839,757 times
The biggest bunch of grumblers, generally speaking, seem to be those who lived or wanted to live in the suburbs 30 or 40 years ago (when Round Rock, et al. was a small town) and who STILL want to live that way. The degradation of the highways and arterial roads that made this possible in the past is the big news and the "change" that many decry. The refusal to accept mass transit for the metro area is head-in-the-sand thinking, but whatever.
For the rest of us, those who couldn't or wouldn't live in those suburban/close in small towns for whatever reasons in the past, the change has been more nuanced. The fact that city streets are somewhat more crowded and parking downtown is more dear, don't make that big a whoop to me. In fact, I suspect the "hipsters" contribute less to this phenomenon than do the huge number of goobers who have choked the suburbs. Rent is up, sure. But that plays out both ways, how many people who have been here for more than a year or two haven't bought something, and profited by it, just because it's obvious housing costs escalate in a growing city?
A static city is a dead city and Texas has plenty of them; take your pick. But leave Austin alone to do it's thing. Most Texans (and others) like it, that's why they move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or