U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 01:34 PM

78 posts, read 77,416 times

Advertisements

Also considering Cedar Park HS and Vista Ridge per your suggestions. Out of all of these, though, which is the easiest area to commute to the MetroRail? That is another huge, huge priority for us since my husband will be going in M-Th. He can set his own hours but they should primarily be during business hours. He can do 8-4, 9-5, 10-6, for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 01:57 PM

171 posts, read 156,795 times
Jess,

I would urge you to first take a look at the objective ratings that the Texas Education Agency does, along with the college test scores, to give yourself an objective baseline with which to compare schools. From there I would take a look at each school and reach out to parents from those schools. Finally, I would take time to come see the schools first hand to make a better informed decision about where to focus your search. 2014 TEA Accountability Summaries for some of the schools mentioned follows:

McNeil HS: http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/perfre...c246909004.pdf

Westwood HS: http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/perfre...c246909003.pdf

Round Rock HS: http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/perfre...c246909001.pdf

Vista Ridge HS: http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/perfre...c246913003.pdf

Cedar Park HS: http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/perfre...c246913002.pdf

I wouldn't rely on the TEA Ratings, or college test scores, on their own, but they are often better than looking at Great Schools, Niche, etc. which are often much more subjective.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:08 PM

78 posts, read 77,416 times
Ariel, THANK YOU SO MUCH for those links!!!!

Old 04-27-2015, 02:15 PM

2,624 posts, read 5,597,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesslauren310 View Post
Also considering Cedar Park HS and Vista Ridge per your suggestions. Out of all of these, though, which is the easiest area to commute to the MetroRail? That is another huge, huge priority for us since my husband will be going in M-Th. He can set his own hours but they should primarily be during business hours. He can do 8-4, 9-5, 10-6, for example.
The Lakeline station is at 13625 Lyndhurst Blvd, Austin, TX. So, you can bring that up on Google maps to see the surrounding areas. When looking at the map, Cedar Park High School is at Anderson Mill and Cypress Creek Rd to the West of Lakeline Station. Vista Ridge is directly North of Lakeline Station up the map at Vista Ridge and Park. Pretty much any of the areas that feed into those schools can get to Lakeline Station pretty easily. Avery Ranch is very close, but there are quite a few neighborhoods that would work for you.

And remember Austin97's quote when looking at the TEA links above "Agreed, the thing that makes it such a pressure cooker is the Asians. They come from a background of lack of diverse activities. Some kids in kindergarten work until 8:00 at night on extra classes." That quote just shows that some of those very high test scores and achievements aren't from well rounded students that participate in sports and other extra-curricular activities but students that are putting 100% of their childhoods into studying and achieving the highest levels of their educations. It's not the case for all of them, but it's one of those things that can't be mentioned by Realtors for example.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
The Lakeline station is at 13625 Lyndhurst Blvd, Austin, TX. So, you can bring that up on Google maps to see the surrounding areas. When looking at the map, Cedar Park High School is at Anderson Mill and Cypress Creek Rd to the West of Lakeline Station. Vista Ridge is directly North of Lakeline Station up the map at Vista Ridge and Park. Pretty much any of the areas that feed into those schools can get to Lakeline Station pretty easily. Avery Ranch is very close, but there are quite a few neighborhoods that would work for you.

And remember Austin97's quote when looking at the TEA links above "Agreed, the thing that makes it such a pressure cooker is the Asians. They come from a background of lack of diverse activities. Some kids in kindergarten work until 8:00 at night on extra classes."
Ascribing certain behaviors and lifestyle assumptions wholesale to an entire group is poor form. Seriously, there is absolutely no need for that.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:49 PM

2,624 posts, read 5,597,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel_Austin View Post
Ascribing certain behaviors and lifestyle assumptions wholesale to an entire group is poor form. Seriously, there is absolutely no need for that.
Not sure why you cut off the last sentence of "It's not the case for all of them, but it's one of those things that can't be mentioned by Realtors for example." This is a board of opinion as well as facts and we have already established that it's illegal for realtors to dive into demographics. A lot of us are able to dive into that legally here.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:56 PM

I didn't purposely cut off any of the quote. I care not to misrepresent anyone's opinion or otherwise.

While Realtors don't get into the specific demographics of places -- I would not make such wholesale comments about any group, whether it be race, religion, or just about anything else, even if I were not a Realtor. There are many people of different groups that value the entire child's educational process vs just academics, etc.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:07 PM

642 posts, read 490,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel_Austin View Post
I didn't purposely cut off any of the quote. I care not to misrepresent anyone's opinion or otherwise.

While Realtors don't get into the specific demographics of places -- I would not make such wholesale comments about any group, whether it be race, religion, or just about anything else, even if I were not a Realtor. There are many people of different groups that value the entire child's educational process vs just academics, etc.
That is all entirely true. All of that said, the school tracks that feed into Westwood DO have a higher percentage of Asian and South Asian parents who subscribe to the achievement model that foregoes most extracurricular activities, etc. in favor of early, extensive extra academic focus and preparation. That's simply the truth; my goddaughters attend Westwood and they've discussed this openly with me. One of my close friends is a 1st generation Japanese American whose kids attended Westwood and she told me the exact same thing; her kids' kindergarten classmates at Laurel Mountain were going to Kumon after school.

Asian and South Asian parents don't have the market on this kind of behavior covered by any stretch and I don't think that was what was implied. It is a significant contributor to the success of Westwood, though.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:15 PM

10,720 posts, read 10,111,524 times
My ex-boyfriend is Japanese. I can tell you first hand that what was said is very true. Though he did take kendo...if anything to de-stress from all of the studying.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:26 PM

6,336 posts, read 11,480,370 times
Yes in fact if you look at the orchestra, it is virtually all asians. They do afterschool activities but not generally sports. In asian cultures athletes are generally not looked at very positively. Not at all like in the US.

You will see them represented in a lot of clubs, but much less in sports

If you go to kumon at braker lane, you will see the waiting room pretty much only has asians in it.

Laurel mountain has a program called clusters where kids can try lots of different things once a week. The kids get to pick what they do .My daughter is doing paper doll houses and doll house furniture. In another one, kids have to locate things around the school using maps and a compass. There are all kinds of things (legos, photography etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or