U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 12:12 PM

10,766 posts, read 10,176,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
Austin sucks these days. It's like someone took Portland or Seattle and stuck them in the middle of Texas. It's crawling with hipsters. Everything from their stupid fixie bike culture to those retarded glasses they all wear has turned Austin into a carbon copy city.

There is nothing original about Austin anymore. I blame the Internet. Back in the day, there were huge differences between different parts of the country. Going from San Francisco to Chicago was like going to different countries. Now days it's not really like that, as you will see the same stupid people drinking $5 coffees while staring at their smart phones all day in any city that's not completely hood. Austin is a perfect example of this, as it used to still have somewhat of a Texas feel to it..............Not so much anymore.
Thank you!
That is one of the things that I miss about the "old(er" Austin...there was way more Texas friendliness, less pretention, men still believing in holding the door for women instead of letting it slam in your face, more Texas and less carbon copy of any other decent city. I'm a transplant myself, but one of the things I loved about this place was the laid back, friendly nature of the populace. Maybe that's why I really like small town Texas things/festivities...those seem way more real to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 12:34 PM

1,198 posts, read 961,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Thank you!
That is one of the things that I miss about the "old(er" Austin...there was way more Texas friendliness, less pretention, men still believing in holding the door for women instead of letting it slam in your face, more Texas and less carbon copy of any other decent city. I'm a transplant myself, but one of the things I loved about this place was the laid back, friendly nature of the populace. Maybe that's why I really like small town Texas things/festivities...those seem way more real to me.
Yeah, I'm originally from South Texas, and Boy has Austin changed. I really miss the Texas culture that no longer exists there. 30 years ago you would still see old timers wearing cowboy hats and Texas ties to professional jobs. When you hired an attorney or saw a dentist, they spoke with a southern accent. And as you pointed out, there was still southern hospitality.

I sure do miss it when I go home to visit. I hear people on the east coast say the same thing about places like Philly or Boston. The culture just isn't the same anymore because of all the transplants and national TV, news, radio, Internet ect......

Old 04-29-2015, 01:03 PM

614 posts, read 592,751 times
Nice to see the same 3 people turn this thread into yet another pity party... most of which, don't even live in Austin.

Beleive me, Austinites are doing just fine without your negativity.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
Nice to see the same 3 people turn this thread into yet another pity party... most of which, don't even live in Austin.

Beleive me, Austinites are doing just fine without your negativity.
I don't need to LIVE in Austin to make comments about it. I spend enough time here by default. And I can post whatever I like. If you don't care for it, just keep scrollin'.....

You're not even an Austinite anyway but some Beantowner who thinks he's a local, so what do you know about Austinites? That's the irony of this entire thread, which I didn't even deign with a response until now. But I did agree with that poster because he is so spot on.

It's a message board. People can use it however they see fit. If their words poop on your sunshine and unicorns, you know what to do.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:38 PM

614 posts, read 592,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I don't need to LIVE in Austin to make comments about it. I spend enough time here by default. And I can post whatever I like. If you don't care for it, just keep scrollin'.....

You're not even an Austinite anyway but some Beantowner who thinks he's a local, so what do you know about Austinites? That's the irony of this entire thread, which I didn't even deign with a response until now. But I did agree with that poster because he is so spot on.

It's a message board. People can use it however they see fit. If their words poop on your sunshine and unicorns, you know what to do.
Call me what you like, but my 11 years in Austin have been absolute bliss. So, I'd rather be a transplant who appreciates and takes advantage of what Austin has to offer, than a bitter Austin ex-pat who lives in Round Rock and spends their time whining on the Internet.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:47 PM

3,850 posts, read 9,437,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
Austin sucks these days. It's like someone took Portland or Seattle and stuck them in the middle of Texas. It's crawling with hipsters. Everything from their stupid fixie bike culture to those retarded glasses they all wear has turned Austin into a carbon copy city.

There is nothing original about Austin anymore. I blame the Internet. Back in the day, there were huge differences between different parts of the country. Going from San Francisco to Chicago was like going to different countries. Now days it's not really like that, as you will see the same stupid people drinking $5 coffees while staring at their smart phones all day in any city that's not completely hood. Austin is a perfect example of this, as it used to still have somewhat of a Texas feel to it..............Not so much anymore.
I'm pretty sure that 40 years ago (in 1975), the locals were complaining about all the damn hippies that had invaded their nice conservative town with their crazy clothes, long hair, oversized glasses and that loud rock and roll music. They were probably trying to turn it into another San Francisco or something.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:54 PM

2,984 posts, read 2,137,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysmiling View Post
The conclusion to be had here is that you can't let what is said on this forum frame your experience. The majority of the people on this thing are older and Austin is a very young city. Everyone I know is out there having a good time, not whining and bitching on the Internet.... That's for losers... Take the negative posters viewpoint with a grain of salt. You'll be better off for it, and people can take offense if they want. It's the truth...
Great post. One of the best and most brutally honest I've ever read in this forum. Wish I could rep ya more points.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
Call me what you like, but my 11 years in Austin have been absolute bliss. So, I'd rather be a transplant who appreciates and takes advantage of what Austin has to offer, than a bitter Austin ex-pat who lives in Round Rock and spends their time whining on the Internet.
LOL, you're so wrong on so many levels. One, I'm not an Austin ex-pat. What ever gave you that idea? I lived in the City of Austin for a total of one year. I wasn't priced out, if that's what you're trying to allude. But I am here enough to speak. Two, what do I have to be bitter about, really? I'm not about to give you a tour of my awesome life because you're just an internet random, but let me say this -- I never lack, that's for sure. As for taking advantage of what Austin has to offer, been there. Done that. When I choose to do it again, it's just minutes away. No big deal. In addition to what Austin has to offer, I've enjoyed what Marble Falls has to offer, what Bertram has to offer, what Georgetown has to offer, and I can go on and on. And of course, Round Rock has a lot to offer as well. As for the typical "spends their time whining on the Internet", a few minutes here and there commenting on drivel like this while resting after a hard day of unpacking hardly constitutes "spending my time". That's about the same amount of time as passing gas give or take. You post quite a bit yourself, so for some person who fancies himself as a bon vivant, you obviously have time as well.

Lastly, some dude posts a random, silly counter-point topic -- what do you expect?

And this is in response to the assumption that someone who doesn't post flowers and sunshine all of the time about Austin is "old". I am still in my 30s, so I am definitely not old. In addition, I don't rag on Austin all that much. It's the city where I work and sometimes play in and I still like it. But there are things that aren't so rosy anymore, and I'd more than say that to someone's face. In fact, many Austinites that I know talk about changes good and bad off the computer. And whatever is said is said and then you keep on drinking your drink.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:22 PM

2,984 posts, read 2,137,389 times
From the late 70's until about 1987 or 88, I use to like to go out to Volente Point back when most people didn't really know about it, not like they do today. I liked going out there on my days off thru the week and drink beer and smoke weed and float on an air mattress all afternnoon and drift away. Some days I would be the only one out there and I had the entire little cove to myself. It really was like a little piece of paradise for me.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:33 PM

5,184 posts, read 5,737,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I'm pretty sure that 40 years ago (in 1975), the locals were complaining about all the damn hippies that had invaded their nice conservative town with their crazy clothes, long hair, oversized glasses and that loud rock and roll music. They were probably trying to turn it into another San Francisco or something.
Since you weren't here then, let someone who was tell you that you couldn't be further from the truth. Number one -- Austin has NEVER been a "nice conservative town". It has always been the outcast in the state - from time immemorial.

Austin has always had a deep appreciation for music -- starting with Dessau Hall, the Skyline club (where both Hank Williams and Johnny Horton had their last public appearance), and Threadgill's. The east side's Victory Grill was a regular stop on the chitlin' circuit. So music - of many different types - has always been a rich part of Austin's cultural identity. And widely accepted.

As far as "trying to turn it into another San Francisco" -- another misnomer. If anything, San Francisco, as far as pop culture went, became another Austin. When Thirteenth Floor Elevators (first band ever labeled as psychedelic) went to SF in the summer of '66, there was nothing like them there. Folk music and coffee houses dominated the musical landscape. Most music historians will tell you that without them, there would have never been the rise of Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver Messenger Service and Big Brother and the Holding Company (featuring lead singer Janis Joplin, who started her musical career at Austin's Threadgill's). SF's music scene didn't really take off until '68 -- well after the Elevators were already national names.

Also, much of what became the art associated with "hippie" SF came from Austinites Gilbert Shelton and Jim Franklin. Shelton, former art director of Vulcan Gas Company (the first Austin "psychedelic" venue) moved to SF in '68 to do more poster work -- but his real claim to fame was as the creator of the seminal Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers comic series. Franklin and Shelton worked together at the Vulcan, but it was Franklin's concert poster work that was widely emulated in SF for the Fillmore and Avalon ballrooms.

Now, despite being pretty welcoming of the dress and music and art, the acceptance of mind altering substances was quite a different thing ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or