U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 01:40 PM

41 posts, read 53,303 times

Advertisements

So I've been in Austin nearly 2 and a half years after moving from the Midwest. I just joined he site and in reading some of he posts and past posts around here it seems everyone is complaining about how Austin is changing or has changed.

How has Austin changed negatively to you? Because there is more people which means more traffic? Well maybe the city and surrounding areas should planned better- you can look at most of the areas and they have all been growing year by year for years and years and years.

Because the cost of living is highest ever? Yeah when an area becomes more desirable to a great amount of people this will happen. Austin could be like some cities (Memphis, Detroit) and have the opposite. I'm sure you'd all be more happy then? If it's unaffordable then do what others do.. Get a better paying job, move to a more affordable part of town, or like others in other cities move to an area you can afford. Cities grow and areas become more expensive it happens everywhere.

Because Austin isn't Austin anymore? How so? Because companies want to build high rises here because it's lucrative financially and because there's a market for the residentialffice:hotel high rises all the sudden it's a different city? Austin from when I've been here in he past doesn't feel any different. It's a city. It's got a college. It has a high concentration of bars on 6th at (every city has its version of 6th st). There's music still found all over. There's funky local shops still throughout the city. I've never been to an area that is like Austin in regards to people complaining about others wanting a certain food or business to come to town.. Who cares? What do you care if a new place opens up? It's another place to dine or shop that isn't normally available. Where I grew up we had people from all over move in and could careless if a new place from out of town opened up-. Here it's like you have to love Austin for everything it is and is not or your not accepted. Get over it. Some people found a career here, found love here, went to school here, started a family here and some of those people might now want Austin to have a museum that is respectable, or a water park, a zoo-aquarium, or a pro sports team, or whatever. Then the older folk on the west side have to complain about everything coming from their wallets as if they are footing the bill for any public transportation improvements or improvement to the city. Its sad.

I love Austin- but man some of the people here are unreal. It's unlike anything I've seen elsewhere and luckily you don't run into these people but on a website such as this- but as evidenced by everything that gets turned away (see public transportation etc) they are out there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 02:56 PM

614 posts, read 639,036 times
Nice to see a counterpoint to the Austin pity-party threads that are all too common here.

Austin is as amazing as ever. In some ways, it's even better than when I moved here a decade ago.

Another forum member collected some great quotes on the topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
Nostalgia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days.
Doug Larson

Nostalgia is a powerful feeling; it can drown out anything.
Terrence Malick

It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice. There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia.
Frank Zappa

Old 04-27-2015, 04:00 PM

677 posts, read 542,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
Nice to see a counterpoint to the Austin pity-party threads that are all too common here.

Austin is as amazing as ever. In some ways, it's even better than when I moved here a decade ago.

Another forum member collected some great quotes on the topic...
I'm with both of you. I have lived all over this country, and there are prescious few places I would rather live than Austin. It is amazing here. People, regardless of where they are, always have this longing for a great-golden-era past that they are upset that is being lost, but for some reason that sentiment is dialed up to 11 here in this city, and held by a much larger percentage. I'm not quite sure why, it's one thing I haven't figured out.

That said, as I said in another thread, essentially all cities are either growing or dieing, change is a part of life it's as simple as that. This is still an absolutely amazing town to live in.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:02 PM

198 posts, read 260,696 times
As another transplant. I agree. Natives like to whine while transplant wish Austin would grow up and become like Dallas. We can always move to Dallas though .

Old 04-27-2015, 05:36 PM

614 posts, read 639,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinDude360 View Post
As another transplant. I agree. Natives like to whine while transplant wish Austin would grow up and become like Dallas. We can always move to Dallas though .
Speak for yourself. I definitely don't want Austin to become Dallas. Gross.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:18 PM

147 posts, read 180,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
Speak for yourself. I definitely don't want Austin to become Dallas. Gross.
Yeah. Agreed.

That said, the "real" Austin isn't represented on an Internet message board.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:41 PM

213 posts, read 250,384 times
The conclusion to be had here is that you can't let what is said on this forum frame your experience. The majority of the people on this thing are older and Austin is a very young city. Everyone I know is out there having a good time, not whining and bitching on the Internet.... That's for losers... Take the negative posters viewpoint with a grain of salt. You'll be better off for it, and people can take offense if they want. It's the truth...

Old 04-27-2015, 08:35 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,414,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysmiling View Post
The conclusion to be had here is that you can't let what is said on this forum frame your experience. The majority of the people on this thing are older and Austin is a very young city. Everyone I know is out there having a good time, not whining and bitching on the Internet.... That's for losers... Take the negative posters viewpoint with a grain of salt. You'll be better off for it, and people can take offense if they want. It's the truth...
That statement is disrespectful of longtime Austinites. People should be able to express their concerns without being labeled. This is a city that has undergone major changes in infrastructure, economy, as well as population. Middle-class persons are being squeezed out of city center. Retirees are being forced to sell their homes because of property-taxes. Whole ethnic communities are being priced out of longtime, traditional neighborhoods (African-Americans, Hispanics) and out of Austin altogether. Just last week the City of Austin confirmed the rates of poverty are falling in the city because of the escalating price of rent and lack of available housing to SE Travis, Bastrop Counties or beyond. As a result, Austin is becoming less diverse, not more.

What makes a city is not infrastructure, it's people. I love Austin as much as the next person, but I am not blind to fact that we are seeing not just population displacement, but replacement. And that's worth talking about - without name calling.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:35 PM

213 posts, read 250,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
That statement is disrespectful of longtime Austinites. People should be able to express their concerns without being labeled. This is a city that has undergone major changes in infrastructure, economy, as well as population. Middle-class persons are being squeezed out of city center. Retirees are being forced to sell their homes because of property-taxes. Whole ethnic communities are being priced out of longtime, traditional neighborhoods (African-Americans, Hispanics) and out of Austin altogether. Just last week the City of Austin confirmed the rates of poverty are falling in the city because of the escalating price of rent and lack of available housing to SE Travis, Bastrop Counties or beyond. As a result, Austin is becoming less diverse, not more.

What makes a city is not infrastructure, it's people. I love Austin as much as the next person, but I am not blind to fact that we are seeing not just population displacement, but replacement. And that's worth talking about - without name calling.
It's everyone's responsibility to take care of themselves. These issues have been discussed...

Don't protest density and then complain about affordability.

Don't move off of 620 and then complain about commute times to DT.

If your taxes are too high, cash out on your (assumably) highly appreciated property and downsize.

If you're priced out of the city center, it's been noted that you can't have a 4000 sqft new home walking distance to DT for 350k. Be 5-10 mins to city center or accept less square footage.

Not everyone can have everything. Its simply a balance, and there are options out there for every budget. The Mexican bakeries are still here. The graffiti is still here. The bands, the bars and old haunts while ever changing are still here. The traffic is still here (its been that way as long as any of us can remember). For every 1 person/place/thing/idea that disappears 2 take it's place. It's an evolutionary process that you embrace, and as the OP stated, it seems the attitude of this forum (and hopefully not the city as a whole) has become a negative, ranting, pitiful, unattractive, party is over, was better then, we hate outsiders, life sucks now, type of thing... People read these threads and make judgements about us Austinites. Read other city threads and then think about the way we're being perceived.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:55 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,414,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysmiling View Post
It's everyone's responsibility to take care of themselves. These issues have been discussed...

Not everyone can have everything. Its simply a balance, and there are options out there for every budget. The Mexican bakeries are still here. The graffiti is still here. The bands, the bars and old haunts while ever changing are still here. The traffic is still here (its been that way as long as any of us can remember). For every 1 person/place/thing/idea that disappears 2 take it's place. It's an evolutionary process that you embrace, and as the OP stated, it seems the attitude of this forum (and hopefully not the city as a whole) has become a negative, ranting, pitiful, unattractive, party is over, was better then, we hate outsiders, life sucks now, type of thing... People read these threads and make judgements about us Austinites. Read other city threads and then think about the way we're being perceived.
And until someone invents the solution, they will continue to be discussed. That's what people do.

I never heard the majority of Austin posters react in the way you are suggesting. Overly broad generalization with an equally overly broad, narrow-minding conclusion to just "with deal it". Especially, you are not the ones affected.

Part of Austin's charm is that it has an active-citizen engagement process. The City of Austin government runs on a citizen board and commission model. On and off the dais, citizens are encouraged to speak their minds with respect and decorum. I'd like to think that same spirit exists on the Austin forum. I believe it is part of the charm of Austin's tough, independent, and "weird" thinking which reflects how the Texas capital city continues to attract record new arrivals to the Austin metro area. How long that movement lasts often depends on rent and housing prices? How much is too much? The first sign may be the mass movement of poor, and lower middle-class (whites and minorities) moving with their feet - out of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin