U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 02:38 AM

7 posts, read 8,142 times

Advertisements

Hello! Myself and my wife are moving to Austin August 1st. We found an apartment already in our range we are both in school online I am in software development and my wife is going for a masters in Human Resources. I'm sure you folks don't like when people up and move to your city like how I dislike it's happening where I am (Pittsburgh) but we've recently took a road trip for our honeymoon and visited a few friends in Texas (Houston/Austin/Tyler) and really enjoyed our time in Austin.
We saved a bunch of wedding money and saved money over the past few months to up and move and just get away from PA for at least a year, all I want is maybe a text buddy or Facebook friend I can network with and maybe flood them with various questions before we move in August 1st. If anyone would be so kind feel free to msg me! Also and HR or tech support in leads would of course be appreciated!
A little about us - mid-twenties I am a Star Trek/geeky guy who is into video games and bicycling as well as hoping to get into motorcycling soon, also love southern bbq and hanging out watching movies. My wife's hobbies are all things paranormal as well as comedy movies and spending time outdoors when possible.
I feel awkward posting this in a way but I am just very interested in making new friends before we make the move in August, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 02:42 AM

768 posts, read 979,048 times
Don't move here

Old 04-30-2015, 02:48 AM

I'm off to a good start

Old 04-30-2015, 07:04 AM

6,088 posts, read 15,347,809 times
What questions would you possibly have that haven't already been crowd sourced here in the forums. Grab a cup of coffee, use the search feature, and get to researching. You'll get a wider array of opinion that way also, rather than the opinion of just the only person kooky enough to accept your weird "chat buddy" request.

Happy reading!

Old 04-30-2015, 08:10 AM

1,762 posts, read 2,149,994 times
Sorry, most of us would chuckle a little bit if our real-world social lives suddenly got replaced with our C-D neighbors.

You'll have no trouble meeting people with similar interests here. Just better to do it in person, or in specific on-line groups for your area or your interests, than casting a net on a general forum like this. You don't know where we've been!

Old 04-30-2015, 08:40 AM

6,339 posts, read 11,482,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeniwea View Post
Hello! Myself and my wife are moving to Austin August 1st. We found an apartment already in our range we are both in school online I am in software development and my wife is going for a masters in Human Resources. I'm sure you folks don't like when people up and move to your city like how I dislike it's happening where I am (Pittsburgh) but we've recently took a road trip for our honeymoon and visited a few friends in Texas (Houston/Austin/Tyler) and really enjoyed our time in Austin.
We saved a bunch of wedding money and saved money over the past few months to up and move and just get away from PA for at least a year, all I want is maybe a text buddy or Facebook friend I can network with and maybe flood them with various questions before we move in August 1st. If anyone would be so kind feel free to msg me! Also and HR or tech support in leads would of course be appreciated!
A little about us - mid-twenties I am a Star Trek/geeky guy who is into video games and bicycling as well as hoping to get into motorcycling soon, also love southern bbq and hanging out watching movies. My wife's hobbies are all things paranormal as well as comedy movies and spending time outdoors when possible.
I feel awkward posting this in a way but I am just very interested in making new friends before we make the move in August, thanks!
You are funny I think you will fit in just fine with the nerdy crowd here.

Just post your questions here and we will answer as best we can.

There are local meetups for just about anything. Maybe take a look at meetups around your hobbies/interests

Old 04-30-2015, 09:06 AM

198 posts, read 233,729 times
What coding languages do you specialize in? Looking for a job?

Lots of software developer opportunity here for the experienced. I live in NW and I play video games so feel free to connect when you get down here. I am a transplant from the dreaded state of California .

HR Roles are a bit harder to find because companies here tend to be smaller and will only need 1 or 2 HR people.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:57 AM

Thanks guys, yeah sorry I'm kinda awkward haha. I am focused in Java but not experienced enough to do it professionally. Would be interested in interning at some of the tech companies around the city.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:26 PM

2,008 posts, read 2,181,406 times
several of the big companies/institutions in town (and there are not many) have large HR departments - Dell, UT, Whole Foods, National Instruments. Austin Tech Happy Hour

Old 04-30-2015, 02:27 PM

16,722 posts, read 40,841,034 times
Read the sticky: Welcome to Austin Info Thread... There is not much to know about Austin that isn't captured there.

And then ask questions if you still have some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin