U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 09:32 PM

6 posts, read 3,636 times

Advertisements

Good day everyone!

I would like to ask how many people (max) can live in a 6 Bedroom house? Because now we are more than 12 people here. For as far as I am concern for me the more the merrier because I live continent away from here. Is there any law saying that there is that maximum person per room in an apartment/house that is for rent/lease?

Because we have the problem that our landlord is like getting the most from us like. Charging more than they should charge us. For example the electricity bill higher than what it should be. I haven't seen the proof (bill) that this amount and kWh is the meter reading. Ive been here for 2 weeks already. and s/he charging us more or less $10 per person.

They are also our transportation because our group does not even have a car or we dont have other option. But we are planning to buy our own car. They also don't like us joining free rides from our co-workers and they are charging us $5 one way, $10 back and forth. You do the math times then number of people they are getting per day and its just 8 to 10 miles per ride. The rent is also for 200/month.

Thank you all for all your answer! And may you can help us out to find a better place.

All best!
RJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 10:54 AM

7,140 posts, read 13,049,272 times
If it is a single family house no more than 4 unrelated adults can live in the house in the city of Austin, the number of bedrooms has nothing to do with it.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:38 PM

14 posts, read 13,275 times
Regarding what your landlord's charging you: is the $10/month for utilities included in the rent, or is he charging each of you a flat $10? Either way, twelve people in one house are going to use a LOT of power. For comparison, the average utility bill for a 4-person, single family home around here seems to be somewhere in the $150-$250 a month range. $120/month sounds shockingly cheap to me, but he knows his business best.

Which brings me to my second point: renting is a business. The only way you're going to live somewhere "at cost" is if you own your own home. When you've got a landlord, they have to pay for insurance, repairs, taxes, the mortgage, general upkeep, and a half dozen other expenses that come with owning a property. And they have to make a profit on top of that, otherwise there's no point to doing it. While I can't make a comment on the actual living conditions, from a pure price perspective $210/month sounds pretty damn fair.

As for transportation, $5/person sounds like less than what most shuttle services would charge. And don't forget you're not just paying for the distance, you're paying for the convenience, the gas, and the driver's time. If the cost is a big concern to you, 8 - 10 miles is easily bikeable, and public transportation can get you around downtown decently. What you save in cash you'll be losing in time, however.

Last edited by DangerousBeans; 05-03-2015 at 01:05 PM..

Old 05-03-2015, 10:34 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,370,321 times
Anyone else getting a "human trafficing" vibe from this thread? 12 people in a 6 bedroom home, rental of $210 per person, landlord providing transportation to and from work for a fee

Old 05-04-2015, 08:37 AM

164 posts, read 272,510 times
Might want to invest in some bunk beds

Old 05-04-2015, 06:42 PM

6 posts, read 3,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousBeans View Post
Regarding what your landlord's charging you: is the $10/month for utilities included in the rent, or is he charging each of you a flat $10? Either way, twelve people in one house are going to use a LOT of power. For comparison, the average utility bill for a 4-person, single family home around here seems to be somewhere in the $150-$250 a month range. $120/month sounds shockingly cheap to me, but he knows his business best.

Which brings me to my second point: renting is a business. The only way you're going to live somewhere "at cost" is if you own your own home. When you've got a landlord, they have to pay for insurance, repairs, taxes, the mortgage, general upkeep, and a half dozen other expenses that come with owning a property. And they have to make a profit on top of that, otherwise there's no point to doing it. While I can't make a comment on the actual living conditions, from a pure price perspective $210/month sounds pretty damn fair.

As for transportation, $5/person sounds like less than what most shuttle services would charge. And don't forget you're not just paying for the distance, you're paying for the convenience, the gas, and the driver's time. If the cost is a big concern to you, 8 - 10 miles is easily bikeable, and public transportation can get you around downtown decently. What you save in cash you'll be losing in time, however.
That $10 is charge to us individually. Its not a fix price and it will go more than that anyway. We also have a garbage fee that cost $5 every 2 weeks. We are more than 12 here fyi. we are outside of Austin that is why I said we have no other option with the transportation. My landlord is our only way of gettin out. Because if you walk youre gonna travel like 4miles of dirt road. That's why we are now looking to buy a large car that can seat at least 8 people.

This house is not fully furnished we only have lights and not more than 4 ceiling fan and imagine that we only do laundry during the weekends and most the day is spent at work. so we don't do so much activity. we are just there to sleep, take a bath, do a little laundry.

beds are not a problem. our company provides us a free beds and some toiletries that i think good for a month.

and may I ask if we bought a car what else do we need? or it is okay that we are taking our landlords rides? where can we save more? Because after a year. we are the one who will pay for our flight tickets and we all want to atleast have a savings of $3000 when we go back to our home country. That I think is the breakeven of the cost of getting here.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:26 AM

3 posts, read 2,757 times
This whole situation sounds very questionable. What is your "home country"? What are you doing for work? What is "The cost of getting here?". I agree with the human trafficking vibe, this is bizarre.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:34 AM

8,124 posts, read 13,489,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbones View Post
This whole situation sounds very questionable. What is your "home country"? What are you doing for work? What is "The cost of getting here?". I agree with the human trafficking vibe, this is bizarre.

Or the group panhandling vibe...or the 'selling magazines for credits' vibe.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:40 AM

164 posts, read 272,510 times
This whole thing sounds weird.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:09 PM

845 posts, read 1,699,889 times
What company do you work for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or