Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 01:07 AM

440 posts, read 714,472 times

Advertisements

Proof that AISD can provide quality education. It's competitive entry, but it's a great school.

http://www.newsweek.com/high-schools...0-schools-2014

I understand that there are many lists that don't agree and one size does not fit all, but would encourage people not to write off AISD for the suburbs simply based upon the district's performance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 01:14 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,284 times
I've always thought of LASA as the best high school in Central Texas. Best in Texas doesn't surprise me either.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:53 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,285 times
I agree - AISD is worth attending. Austin is not Dallas, not Chicago, not LA, etc.

The part of the problem is the people moving here bring their I-must-live-in-the-suburbs baggage from other places when they move to Austin, and they blow off AISD.

Dear transplants: when moving here, look in Austin first - if you don't find what you want, THEN look at the suburbs. If you want suburbs, move to Dallas - their suburbs are the same as ours - AND they have the highways already built that you want.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:00 AM

206 posts, read 298,967 times
LASA is not a typical high school which a student can attend because of their property address or the home values around LASA will probably be higher than Westlake Hills... You actually have to apply to LASA, qualify and pass to attend.

There are many school districts offering this under random names such as college prepatory, magnet, charter schools, etc.

LASA is doing a pretty fine job getting the scores, but since you need those scores to attend the school in the first place, results are like comparing Ferrari to Saturn in the racetrack.

All schools on the list should be praised. Schools that you have to apply to and qualify should be on their own list in my opinion.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm doubt a straight D/C score student or one without any family support can attend LASA. LASA shows if you group students who want to learn together without any distractions, it will let their potential shine.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:31 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
LASA is designed for the top ten percent of students in the district and as you noted it is competitive entry as is Kealing Middle School.

A not uncommon pattern is for a family to live in a cheaper house in AISD (due to the poor school assigned by address) and then either use the transfer program to have their kids in a better elementary school or go private for K-8th, and then apply and go to LASA.

LASA is not for everyone, not even everyone who is in the top ten percent of their grade. It requires a bit of a cut-throat, competitive nature and broad academic skills.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:46 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
the school I went to is selective entry and is specifically excluded from the newsweek rankings. Im surprised lasa isnt. I wish more districts had those kind of magnets. They exclude schools that have an average SAT that is too far above the national average.

I dont know if newsweek is still excluding the following schools from the main list:

http://www.newsweek.com/nations-most...-schools-73623

Old 09-11-2014, 09:40 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,780,446 times
LASA is a great school. I know several kids who attend and they are great kids (& smart kids). A couple of comments:

- It's not designed for the "top 10%"....more like the Top 4%. (under 1K students at LASA, AISD has 25-30K HS Students). They're taking the cream of the cream.

- There are many students who live "in Austin", attend public school and are NOT in AISD. (& some of these kids are even in the burbs. Ironically, some of AISD is also technically in the "burbs") Heck, some of LASA's students might come from a burb. (So it's not a burb vrs. inner city thang.)

- I agree that for 90% of newbies, looking at the District is mistake. One should look at the school track.

- I agree that it's a Ferrari vrs. Saturn comparison. Charters should have their own ranking. Comparing schools who educate all comers (like WW, WL & Anderson) to one that skims the top 4% is a misleading (& stupid) ranking list. Not every kid is in the top 4% & not every parent would want their kid at this type of school.

LASA is a great academic High School, but it isn't a real Texas High School. Not only does it cherry pick the top 4% (& is NOT open to everyone)....it doesn't even have a football team.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:54 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
Dear transplants: when moving here, look in Austin first - if you don't find what you want, THEN look at the suburbs. If you want suburbs, move to Dallas - their suburbs are the same as ours - AND they have the highways already built that you want.
It's really arrogant for you to suggest that *you* know best what people want and even further, to attempt to steer them in a direction of your own choosing. How about we all mind our own business when it comes to other people's housing choices? If everyone took your advice and moved into already-crowded Austin proper, the schools would burst at the seams, and then you'd be right back here, complaining about overcrowded schools.

That out of the way, congrats to LASA/AISD! It's great recognition of a great school district.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:34 AM
hts

762 posts, read 2,162,860 times
Congrats to LASA!!

I didn't realize it was a magnet (ie., competitive admission), I just thought it was just a normal charter.

Nevertheless, good on them for the accomplishment and subsequent recognition!!

Old 09-11-2014, 10:53 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,855,492 times
Any school would be incredibly highly rated if they only used the top 10% to determine rank.

This whole "school ranking" thing is a crock. All it does is highlight schools with homogenous populations of above-average socioeconomic status. Just because your Billy or Sally attends the "best" school doesn't guarantee them anything, not does their attendance of a "lesser" school. Parenting is what creates effective students and learners - not schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin