U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-22-2015, 03:12 PM
 
15 posts, read 15,783 times
Reputation: 20

Advertisements

Thanks for input centraluastinite. I do agree with a lot of the points you made. In all honestly I wouldn't mind buying an older home but looking at the prices around South Austin it doesn't really give me a lot of extra money to do any renovations since almost all the houses I've seen are outdated. I'm looking for 3 bed 2 bath and majority of the houses in South Austin are already in mid 200s and if after putting some money it it I'm most likely gonna past the 300s after. Also in majority the homes in South Austin is not my taste. I lean towards modern look and I want something that looks different that the regular homes. I grew up in SoCal and all the homes here are exactly the same. I would probably entertain a condo that needs updating in the SoCo area if it's a good deal and the HOA is not insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-22-2015, 05:07 PM
 
Location: central Austin
7,140 posts, read 13,049,272 times
Reputation: 3745
I was thinking about already built SE Austin, say out 969 but INSIDE 183. Or off Burleson, or even into parts of Dove Springs.

As long as you are aware of the risks and don't plan to sell in the short or medium term, you'll probably be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2015, 05:19 PM
 
55 posts, read 88,681 times
Reputation: 29
If we had the money, we would have loved to buy in our area where we rent right now but with the very high prices of real estate in 78704, even the highest point of our budget would not make it. Would have been more affordable 3 years ago when we just moved to Austin, but at that point, we were not ready to buy a home, much less not even sure we were going to stay.

So we bought in Addison which was the best compromise we had for location and proximity to 78704 and especially our church. We could have bought something closer to Manchaca Road but my better half is not into fixer uppers and is not handy as I would want him to be so old houses were ruled out. And we did not want to max out our budget also since we did not want to work just to pay for a mortgage.

We also knew of Easton Park which will be a very large community and probably at a better location, but then, you would have to live with construction for quite a while. Addison will just have 3 phases, I believe. Phase 1 is almost sold out. Phase 3 is actually in a nicer location because it sits higher up, elevation wise, and you can have a view of downtown from a second floor. But that can be 2 years down the road.

We have been moving a lot also for the past 10 years and I am just about done with the packing and unpacking so this will be home for us until we retire. No kids either so schools are not an issue.

I will just be happy to come home to a place of our own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2015, 10:51 AM
 
68 posts, read 66,545 times
Reputation: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrmnop View Post
Just recently looked at the Addison. Mainly the homes by Milestone because in all honestly I can't stand the other homes by the other builders. For the most part I really like their floorplans and they offer 11 at the moment (considering 4 of them) and to me the prices are great roughly around low 200s to 250s. I'm still living in SoCal but really want to move in ASAP before it starts getting out of control. (Been wanting to move to Austin for almost 2 years just hasn't happen quite yet) I'm a first time home buyer so having a brand new home really gives me that peace of mind. I could probably afford something above 300s but really don't want to be paying that much plus as the previous post mentioned the taxes are a much lower.
Rent in Austin before buying here. You're correct that home prices are going up quite a lot (largely due to people moving here from California!), but it's not worth it to save a little money only to discover you don't like it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2015, 05:10 PM
 
15 posts, read 15,783 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOut2012 View Post
If we had the money, we would have loved to buy in our area where we rent right now but with the very high prices of real estate in 78704, even the highest point of our budget would not make it. Would have been more affordable 3 years ago when we just moved to Austin, but at that point, we were not ready to buy a home, much less not even sure we were going to stay.

So we bought in Addison which was the best compromise we had for location and proximity to 78704 and especially our church. We could have bought something closer to Manchaca Road but my better half is not into fixer uppers and is not handy as I would want him to be so old houses were ruled out. And we did not want to max out our budget also since we did not want to work just to pay for a mortgage.

We also knew of Easton Park which will be a very large community and probably at a better location, but then, you would have to live with construction for quite a while. Addison will just have 3 phases, I believe. Phase 1 is almost sold out. Phase 3 is actually in a nicer location because it sits higher up, elevation wise, and you can have a view of downtown from a second floor. But that can be 2 years down the road.

We have been moving a lot also for the past 10 years and I am just about done with the packing and unpacking so this will be home for us until we retire. No kids either so schools are not an issue.

I will just be happy to come home to a place of our own.
Thank you so much of your input. I really appreciate it and puts my mind at ease a bit. Yeah and I'm with you about getting tired of moving to one place or the next for pretty on a yearly bases. Just want somewhere I can go home to and call it my own. I could do a fixer upper as I'm pretty handy and can do most of the work myself but after all the time and money spend I probably be well over my max budget. And who knows what other issues might arise with a fixer upper. Yeah Phase 1 is almost sold out and I hear phase 2 is about to start building. If you don't mind me asking which builder did you go with? I would love to wait for Easton Park but I feel that it's going to be a while till models homes are available to look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanAgain15 View Post
Rent in Austin before buying here. You're correct that home prices are going up quite a lot (largely due to people moving here from California!), but it's not worth it to save a little money only to discover you don't like it here.
I totally agree with you on this. I might just rent on a short term but I'm pretty dead set on living in Austin. I've actually moved out of Socal over 2 years ago and just temporarily living back in SoCal. Just completely done with SoCal prices of cost of living. I have some friends that move out there and been almost there for a year so I'm really looking forward to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2015, 08:34 PM
 
55 posts, read 88,681 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrmnop View Post
Thank you so much of your input. I really appreciate it and puts my mind at ease a bit. Yeah and I'm with you about getting tired of moving to one place or the next for pretty on a yearly bases. Just want somewhere I can go home to and call it my own. I could do a fixer upper as I'm pretty handy and can do most of the work myself but after all the time and money spend I probably be well over my max budget. And who knows what other issues might arise with a fixer upper. Yeah Phase 1 is almost sold out and I hear phase 2 is about to start building. If you don't mind me asking which builder did you go with? I would love to wait for Easton Park but I feel that it's going to be a while till models homes are available to look at.
We went with Buffington. I was leaning towards Pacesetter, but they only had 1 model of a two story home. I really liked the high ceilings and lots of windows but my better half was not too impressed. It did have the contemporary look though.

We went for a 2 story with masters down, about 1800 sq feet. Traditional layout inside but our choice of finishes will lean towards a more contemporary look.

If you like modern, you would probably like Milestone Builders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2015, 12:43 AM
 
15 posts, read 15,783 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOut2012 View Post
We went with Buffington. I was leaning towards Pacesetter, but they only had 1 model of a two story home. I really liked the high ceilings and lots of windows but my better half was not too impressed. It did have the contemporary look though.

We went for a 2 story with masters down, about 1800 sq feet. Traditional layout inside but our choice of finishes will lean towards a more contemporary look.

If you like modern, you would probably like Milestone Builders.
Thanks again. Yeah I been mainly looking at Milestones. I've looked at their other several communities in Austin and Addison to me is the choice for us. I pretty much have the floor plan picked out. Now I just need the wife to take a look at it in person before we move forward. We both currently don't live in Austin (me in SoCal, her in Houston). I feel like I maybe rushing things not having lived at all in Austin but I do love the city and the longer we wait the less possibility of us not being able to afford a nice home if we purchase say next year. I have a feeling these homes will go up almost between $80-100k by the end of next year.

Did Buffington give you any pitch about the appreciation number in Addison?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2015, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
10,729 posts, read 10,131,970 times
Reputation: 14214
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrmnop View Post
Thanks again. Yeah I been mainly looking at Milestones. I've looked at their other several communities in Austin and Addison to me is the choice for us. I pretty much have the floor plan picked out. Now I just need the wife to take a look at it in person before we move forward. We both currently don't live in Austin (me in SoCal, her in Houston). I feel like I maybe rushing things not having lived at all in Austin but I do love the city and the longer we wait the less possibility of us not being able to afford a nice home if we purchase say next year. I have a feeling these homes will go up almost between $80-100k by the end of next year.

Did Buffington give you any pitch about the appreciation number in Addison?
I don't know. Just because some place is in the city of Austin doesn't mean it will stratospherically appreciate. That area of town is not the greatest. There are few amenities, the airport is too close, the area is still largely mobile homes and lower-end tract housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2015, 02:20 PM
 
Location: home
1,235 posts, read 1,126,275 times
Reputation: 1068
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I don't know. Just because some place is in the city of Austin doesn't mean it will stratospherically appreciate. That area of town is not the greatest. There are few amenities, the airport is too close, the area is still largely mobile homes and lower-end tract housing.
I don't think it will shoot up either, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth it - you will get a nice house in a convenient location. If that is important to you, then that is what matters. You can find resale homes a little further out in McKinney Heights, Bradshaw Crossing, etc. for the same price, but you won't get what you are looking for - new construction, modern design.

Of course, you can look in 78745 for 250K houses, but then you might end up living in a small house, with a bad floor plan, that's falling down that you can't afford to fix, but HEY! after 5 years of living in a house you don't like, you may have better resale than a home in Addison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2015, 03:07 PM
 
198 posts, read 234,000 times
Reputation: 104
Is there a particular reason to stay south? You could get pre-existing and nice up north.

Listen to these posters. I made the mistake buying in a master planned community that had nothing else around it because we wanted nice, new, master-planned, and a high end builder (Wilshire) and didn't benefit from the Austin appreciation boom. Fortunately, we saved up over time and got the hell out of there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:32 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top