Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 08:03 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
This is the learning curve. Those people do not realize how a CFI works and thought they could left turn right at 71 instead of a ways back where you cross over. They'll either get the hang of it or crash.
Even knowing what the flow is suppose to be like, it can catch you off-guard. Hopefully, the 'regulars' will have it down shortly, but will always be a problem for the random traveler unless there is better signage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 09:29 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Even knowing what the flow is suppose to be like, it can catch you off-guard. Hopefully, the 'regulars' will have it down shortly, but will always be a problem for the random traveler unless there is better signage.
Well the regulars is why the intersection was redone, not the tourists or travelers through. I reckon the regulars are about 90-95% of the traffic during rush hour, which is what this intersection was designed for.

Some Sunday drivers making U-turns are not nearly as dangerous as on Monday morning rush hour and let's hope that is minimized for sure.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:45 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
I'll bet tonight's storms helped a LOT !

Old 09-10-2015, 01:05 PM

Well, they were showing footage of the area this morning and the traffic was actually moving at rush hour! Instead of waiting 4 lights most people were only waiting one in the main lanes or two for turning because now you have to wait two to turn.

So, significant improvements already!!!

I guess proper engineering of intersections may end up saving our behind.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Well, they were showing footage of the area this morning and the traffic was actually moving at rush hour! Instead of waiting 4 lights most people were only waiting one in the main lanes or two for turning because now you have to wait two to turn.

So, significant improvements already!!!

I guess proper engineering of intersections may end up saving our behind.
Maybe. My wife's commute to work has doubled in duration so far . The cross traffic (Wm Cannon heading north across 290) was backed up well beyond Escarpment, and back up Escarpment besides. Apparently, only about 6 cars were getting through during the light change. My wife called 3-1-1, who indicated that they would forward the comment to TxDOT, but they had apparently gotten quite a few calls.

In short, the flow improvement may be more to changing the duration of the lights than the new left turns. Or maybe not. We'll wait and see .

Old 09-10-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Maybe. My wife's commute to work has doubled in duration so far . The cross traffic (Wm Cannon heading north across 290) was backed up well beyond Escarpment, and back up Escarpment besides. Apparently, only about 6 cars were getting through during the light change. My wife called 3-1-1, who indicated that they would forward the comment to TxDOT, but they had apparently gotten quite a few calls.

In short, the flow improvement may be more to changing the duration of the lights than the new left turns. Or maybe not. We'll wait and see .
I don't think you or your wife understand the improvements. And frankly calling 311 was a mistake because if she understood it, she'd realize her portion of the commute was never slated to improve.

There wasn't enough room to make CFI left turns from Wm Cannon to 290, so that obstacle remains. The improvements are on 290. So 290 will be flowing smoothly and it was, I saw the footage. In the footage Wm Cannon was backed up, as usual.

In order to fix Wm Cannon they'd have to do CFI's onto 290 and there is no room to do that.

But the people they talked to said that 290 was moving faster than it ever had.

Also, right turns are moving nicely in all directions.

Overall I'd have to say this intersection has been a very good use of money.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:31 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
I drove through today midday. First westbound on Wm Cannon and rt (east) onto 290. The right turn was fine, then stopped at the red light. That stop seemed to be forever. Had I known it would be so long, I would have timed it.

When the light turned green, the front left car pulled ahead and was almost hit by a car that I guess was running the light it was supposed to stop at on 290. So now I know not to simply look forward and go on green, but to look backward over the left shoulder first.

Coming back, westbound 290 onto eastbound Wm Cannon, the left turn lane queues up in a left turn lane in the middle of the road. I don't think that lane is long enough to hold as many cars as needed, so we'll see how it does in afternoon traffic. That light was also really, really long it seemed. When it did turn green, as I approached Wm Cannon and slowed, my left turn light was red, but then turned into flashing yellow arrows, so I continued nicely without stopping.

Maybe there wil be measurable metrics showing this is all better, but I don't see it from those two anecdotal run throughs. Didn't seem faster or better and I think wrecks will ensue shortly, if not already. Especially if people run those holding lights on 290.

My daughter was with me and I had her record videos but there doesn't seem to be a way to upload/post.

Steve

Old 09-10-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I don't think you or your wife understand the improvements. And frankly calling 311 was a mistake because if she understood it, she'd realize her portion of the commute was never slated to improve.
On the contrary, we do understand the intent - improve 290 flow through the Wm Cannon intersection. But if all they had to do was shorten the Wm Cannon light and lengthen the 290 lights, then they could have skipped the whole construction thing. Don't know how calling 311 is a 'mistake' - all she did was tell them that the light was letting 5-6 cars through at a time and that there was a very large back-up. If that is as intended, they will ignore it. If it is an error, at least they will know.

Quote:
In the footage Wm Cannon was backed up, as usual.
Although only base on two days and four observations (mine and my wife's), Wm Cannon was backed up worse than normal for the time of day that we go through it.

Quote:
The right turn was fine, then stopped at the red light. That stop seemed to be forever. Had I known it would be so long, I would have timed it.
The Wm. Cannon north across 290 light is essentially the same length as the light leading from Wm Cannon to East bound 290 - so the shortening of lights occurs in both places. Fortunately, the right turn is a double lane, so it essentially cancels out and, on average, will probably be about the same as it was before.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:50 PM

71 posts, read 167,802 times
they need to adjust the timing of that stop light. they fixed the back up along 290 but created this mess on Wm Cannon

Old 09-11-2015, 07:35 AM

The north-south light has been lengthened, it appears. Within a few minutes of the same time as yesterday, my wife traveled through the intersection. Yesterday, 6 cars go through. Today, she was eighth in line but got through, as well as maybe 5 or 6 behind her. Traffic was improved enormously. Some co-workers experienced a 40 minute delay yesterday at the light, but presumably that is no longer an issue. I don't know if that affected E-W traffic, but hopefully not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin