Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 08:16 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
The north-south light has been lengthened, it appears. Within a few minutes of the same time as yesterday, my wife traveled through the intersection. Yesterday, 6 cars go through. Today, she was eighth in line but got through, as well as maybe 5 or 6 behind her. Traffic was improved enormously. Some co-workers experienced a 40 minute delay yesterday at the light, but presumably that is no longer an issue. I don't know if that affected E-W traffic, but hopefully not.
I think it would necessarily have to slow the E-W traffic as fewer get through with shortened green.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 08:33 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I think it would necessarily have to slow the E-W traffic as fewer get through with shortened green.
I should have said 'significantly' affected E-W traffic. I suspect that there are non-linear variables when tuning an intersection. For example, during the first few seconds a light turns green, very few (if any cars) pass through the intersection. Then there is a period of time where each unit of time results in an increase in cars passing through the intersection as the traffic approaches free-flow. Once free flow is established, there is a potential drop-off in cars passing an intersection, as there may now be gaps in traffic. Apply this to multiple directions and various turn lanes, and it can get quite complex.

So, a minor increase in length of light one way may have a much greater impact than the minor decrease in another direction.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:47 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
I should have said 'significantly' affected E-W traffic. I suspect that there are non-linear variables when tuning an intersection. For example, during the first few seconds a light turns green, very few (if any cars) pass through the intersection. Then there is a period of time where each unit of time results in an increase in cars passing through the intersection as the traffic approaches free-flow. Once free flow is established, there is a potential drop-off in cars passing an intersection, as there may now be gaps in traffic. Apply this to multiple directions and various turn lanes, and it can get quite complex.

So, a minor increase in length of light one way may have a much greater impact than the minor decrease in another direction.
That makes sense.

I normally go Mopac/Davis but I'm going to start popping out at Convict Hill or Wm Cannon on 290 more often to check how things are moving.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
That makes sense.

I normally go Mopac/Davis but I'm going to start popping out at Convict Hill or Wm Cannon on 290 more often to check how things are moving.
To get to work, I need to get to the 360 Exit off of MoPac. I gave up the David>MoPac route years ago, so maybe it has changed, but Escarpment>Wm Cannon>290>MoPac was always, ALWAYS faster than David>MoPac when I was trying out alternatives many years ago. The Escarpment route has seen an increase in traffic over the years, but MoPac has, as well.

Stress-wise, the Escarpment route is much nicer - I can stop for gas (Escarpment/Wm Cannon) or stop at Wal-greens if I need to pick up something quick. Also, it is a set number of 'stops' with pretty much moving traffic in-between, while MoPac is slow-n-go for a long while, which is much more 'painful' in my book .

Old 09-11-2015, 09:02 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Interesting data Trainwreck20 & austin-steve. Hopefully they'll tune things if they need to.

Right now there are a few things that are complicating things:
1. Some people didn't know this was going to be a CFI and so when it changed they missed the turns. They probably now understand the changes.
2. People haven't developed a "system" about which lanes are best. You know it's something you figure out over time (i.e. get in this left lane after this street, this right lane after this street). I figure 1-2 more months for people to figure out the flow.
3. TxDot will need to adjust the timing of the signals to tune everything. This will take time.

We just need to have patience. This is pure engineering and engineering rules!

Old 09-13-2015, 07:54 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
I drove through tonight coming east on 290 turning onto William Cannon north. It was completely weird and I'm fairly sure there will be accidents.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:32 AM

I went through it rush hour on Friday. It was moving fairly well for eastbound. That's the first time I ever saw it moving like that.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:25 AM

Neither me or my wife travel E-W through that intersection, so it is hard for me to tell how much it may have improved; however, if I had to guess, I would think it must have improved it quite a bit - mainly based on the additional traffic piling up on the 290E to MoPacN flyover .

Old 09-14-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Neither me or my wife travel E-W through that intersection, so it is hard for me to tell how much it may have improved; however, if I had to guess, I would think it must have improved it quite a bit - mainly based on the additional traffic piling up on the 290E to MoPacN flyover .
Yep, improve it one place and it just kicks the bucket down the road to the next bottleneck.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:14 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
It's like the old POlice chief once said, "We can't eliminate crime; but we can sure send it somewhere ELSE!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin