Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 04:12 PM

2 posts, read 3,129 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating home to Texas this year and wanted to gain more insight on areas I may have overlooked regarding schools and quality of life. My husband works remote with travel required 2-3 days a week. Our budget is 500k-600k and we have 3 kiddos ages 6, 3, and 1 so schools are pretty important.

We have previously lived in Dallas but are looking at Austin as a strong option since I have family there. What is Barton Hills like? And Bryker Woods? Are those the two most family friendly neighborhoods closer in? Would those be smart regarding real estate investments?

Any info regarding those or any others closer in would be helpful!! Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 04:19 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlady82 View Post
My family and I are relocating home to Texas this year and wanted to gain more insight on areas I may have overlooked regarding schools and quality of life. My husband works remote with travel required 2-3 days a week. Our budget is 500k-600k and we have 3 kiddos ages 6, 3, and 1 so schools are pretty important.

We have previously lived in Dallas but are looking at Austin as a strong option since I have family there. What is Barton Hills like? And Bryker Woods? Are those the two most family friendly neighborhoods closer in? Would those be smart regarding real estate investments?

Any info regarding those or any others closer in would be helpful!! Many thanks!
- Where will he be traveling "2-3 days a week".

- There are dozens of "family friendly" neighborhoods that flow into great school feeders. Most are in or under your budget.

- Where would you live in Dallas if you were spending 500-700K?

- But most importantly where will he be traveling....to the airport? Dallas? NW Austin?

No, Bryker Woods & Barton Hills aren't the two most family friendly neighborhoods.
They're the 3rd & 9th.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,129 times
Sorry, I should have been clearer! 😄 His travel will vary from east coast to some international a few times a year. We previously lived in the M streets area and while we loved it, we've decided to go the public school route. Carroll ISD has been thrown around as an option bc of the schools and proximity to airport but we prefer older established neighborhoods with more character. HP is another option but we would be just barely squeezing in waiting for the right home to come on the market which would most likely be a tear down or need extensive work.

My family in Austin is in Eanes ISD but I think price wise, it would be a similar situation to HP in Dallas. We've looked in Lake Travis but my concern would be the traffic. I'm not as familiar with Austin schools but I did live in Austin prior to having children.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:22 PM

147 posts, read 212,581 times
As someone who regularly travels east, you'll want to check the flight schedules to see if Austin will even work for you, then realize you're going to be adding at least 2 hours onto every trip versus a "hub" city like DFW or IAH.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:17 PM

390 posts, read 671,022 times
Unfortunately, I think 500-600K isn't going to get you much in Barton Hills or Bryker Woods unless you want a smaller home (and that might even be difficult). What sized home are you looking for?

Old 05-07-2015, 08:44 AM

92 posts, read 113,519 times
Alright so based on Dallas you are looking for a comparable neighborhood, in the city and not in the suburbs, with cool funky houses / parks / decent school options. I'm a little less familiar with the house size that $500-700 will get you in that part of Dallas but definitely in Bryker Woods/Barton Hills/Zilker areas the house sizes will be in the <2K sqft range and likely fixers to a certain extent. Any 4bed assuming everyone in your family would want their own room would be squeezy.

I feel like a good next tier of neighborhoods to check out if you did not have airport proximity in the mix would be the Crestwood/Allandales/Brentwoods....but getting to the airport from there is no fun at all.

Other parts of South Austin could work. Maybe the Sherwood area just S of Oltorf. Homes there tend to be a little larger and a little less expensive than Barton/Zilker/Travis Heights. Plus you'd be super close to 290/71 for a quick jaunt to the airport. I am pretty sure the elementary school is decent but you'd have to keep an eye on the middle/high schools.

Also consider the Cherrywood/French Place section of East Austin. I've heard that Maplewood elementary is pretty good plus it would feel to Kealing for middle school which is great and you'd be close to all the shops / restaurants on Manor. Or Mueller although you'd be giving up some of the neighborhood charm. The trade off would be a LEED certified neighborhood which is cool in its own way. Plus Bartholomew Pool right across the street and the huge park on 51st which would be great for the kids. And from there you can hop down 183 to the airport with little trouble.

If you're willing to give up some of the neighborhood walkability maybe think about the areas just off Southwest Parkway around Oak Hill. There's a great neighborhood pool, greenbelt access and lots of families for the kiddos. And close to 290/71 for quick airport commutes. Pretty sure it's the same schools as Barton Hills/Zilker which is either a plus or an annoyance bc you have to cross over Mopac to get there. And it would be close to your relatives in Eanes at a friendlier price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.adams33 View Post
As someone who regularly travels east, you'll want to check the flight schedules to see if Austin will even work for you, then realize you're going to be adding at least 2 hours onto every trip versus a "hub" city like DFW or IAH.
I would agree with this bc I have to fly to Philadelphia once a month & there's only one daily nonstop

Old 05-09-2015, 12:17 AM

151 posts, read 238,492 times
Yes, can you tell about what house size you want/bedrooms. With three children, what is available in your price range in Bryker Woods/Barton Hills might be pushing it a bit. Price per square feet in these two neighborhoods are much higher than much of Eanes ISD. In fact, going out to the most western portion of Eanes you will be able to find some three bedroom homes in your price range, maybe a 4 bedroom! Mostly older, 1970/80s ranch style homes.

Neighborhoods for thought: Northwest Hills, Allendale, Hyde Park, Great Hills, Travis Country, and Lost Creek. Great Hills might be a bit new for you, but schools are top notch and gives you hill country views! Circle C would be nice but it is going to be a newer housing stock too. If you say around the size of house you want, we might be able to help narrow the neighborhood choices down.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:16 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centraleastaustinite View Post
If you're willing to give up some of the neighborhood walkability maybe think about the areas just off Southwest Parkway around Oak Hill. There's a great neighborhood pool, greenbelt access and lots of families for the kiddos. And close to 290/71 for quick airport commutes. Pretty sure it's the same schools as Barton Hills/Zilker which is either a plus or an annoyance bc you have to cross over Mopac to get there. And it would be close to your relatives in Eanes at a friendlier price point.
Oak Hill Elem/Small MS (if S of SW Pkwy), O Henry MS (if N of SW Pkwy)/Austin HS. Personally, if I lived S of the river (and I do) there is no way I'd live in an attendance zone that tracked to a school N of the river - like O Henry or Austin High. The traffic is bad, and will just get worse (and if the S Austin haters that were out in force at Council Thursday night have their way, it will get worse, faster).

Another area to look is in Western Oaks - not The Village of WO, but WO. Late seventies, early eighties, bigger lots, more individualized homes, and easy walk/bike ride to shops, including WF. Big regional park with a good pool, and the only library SW, all w/in biking distance. Easy drive to the a/p - 20, 25 minutes max, at any hour. Almost zero traffic.

But, as a road warrior for multiple years, I'd encourage you to reconsider living in Austin. The advantages of not having to connect are immeasurable - if only for the three or four times a year you are so late getting to your connection that you miss the last plane out. Or your earlier flight is delayed, and all the later connections are sold out, and you get a night at the Atlanta Airport Marriott (DL FF here, if you couldn't tell). There is something nice about landing at DFW, getting in your car, and driving 20 minutes to your house in Southlake. And as you know, great schools and fantastic shopping. Just not as cool as the M Streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin