U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 07:46 PM

40 posts, read 34,977 times

Advertisements

Flatonia was mentioned here recently as having decent schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 08:43 PM

10,073 posts, read 9,313,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass hole in Cali View Post
Somewhere safe, good schools for someone who would like to purchase a 3/1 ranch for less than $150k. Comparison to Houston would be Pearland or Friendswood. I am coming from Lakeside, CA but raised in Boston and born in Ireland. I have two kids and we are a moderate/republican/libertarian family, I drive a truck, I'm a firearm owner, I like nature (I am telling you this so we can fit in somewhere).

Austin would probably be more to our liking than Houston from a weather standpoint. Thanks.
I was going to suggest Pflugerville just because it used to give you a good bang for your buck - schools (at least those in Pflugerville) decent to good, affordable, and now with amenities but looking at the MLS it's become increasingly unaffordable with that housing budget. OUt of the 17 listings (and the areas, while decent, aren't the "best of" Pville) with a max $150k budget, all of them with the exception of 1 are pending. The sub $200k market is on fire it looks like. I would suggest some areas in RRE but the places with that budget don't track to good schools at all. The elementary and middle will be below average. Cedar Ridge is above average, since it also pulls from some higher income nabes, but Voight, CD Faulkes, and a few other schools immediately next to I-35 are some of the poorest performing RRISD schools.

You'll have to raise your budget by at least another 10-30k. Good schools you're looking at $200k and up in Pflugerville. My former neighborhood had a few small starter homes that were below $200k that tracked to good schools but there is little inventory available there now.

Maybe there are some places in Leander, Bastrop, Buda, but chances are they'll be pretty far out.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:53 PM

14 posts, read 12,651 times
As someone who was also shopping in the sub $200k market recently, I can tell you don't bother unless you have a downpayment that's 20% or more (and are willing to waive an appraisal contingency), or cash. Homes listed at that price tend to need some work, so they're very attractive to investors who swoop in and snatch them up pretty much the day the houses hit the MLS. It's crazy out there.

So yeah, agree about the budget thing. At less than 200k you might be able to get a condo or townhome fairly painlessly, but a house is going to be a tall order.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:39 PM

5 posts, read 5,999 times
I would suggest Manor. It's going to be closer to downtown than Round Rock (or north), Leander, etc. With the recent 290 toll road, I'm betting we're going to see a lot more development in the Northeast.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:01 PM

614 posts, read 565,664 times
Quote:
Dude you kind of sound like one of those people who are trying to keep others from moving to your state woth the "Texas is purple" crapola. I bet your answer would have been different if I mentioned that I am a left wing NAMBLA member or something lol
Actually, no. I was just responding to your list of reasons for moving here with facts. But, think whatever you like...

Old 05-14-2015, 11:26 PM

1,474 posts, read 1,297,661 times
Quote:
Dude you kind of sound like one of those people who are trying to keep others from moving to your state woth the "Texas is purple" crapola. I bet your answer would have been different if I mentioned that I am a left wing NAMBLA member or something lol
Good grief. People are telling you the truth and there's no reason to get testy just because it doesn't jive with your highly idealized version of Texas.

Quote:
I am seeing some homes around that on zillow, I would also look into foreclosures cause that's how we got our home here.

I'm thinking that Houston would be more Humid like New Orleans since its on the water, Austin is inland and more west.

As for good schools, they don't have to be A plus just safe, not too much ESL and a decent quality of education and that stuff, we aren't tiger parents
You will find the weather difference between Houston and Austin negligible. They are both much hotter and more humid than you can imagine. Forgetting about the hear for a moment, the thing a lot of people don't quite understand is how cold it gets here in the winter. We get snow. Ice storms close down the city. The winter nights are frequently below 30 degrees and can get into the teens easily.

Now to the financial aspect. The greater Austin area is no longer a comfortable place for the lower middle class. The droves of people migrating here after having cashing out in more expensive locales have driven up the prices in even the most formerly humble of spots. Your $150K won't get you much of anything unless you're willing to give up a lot in terms of safety, schools, and/or quality of life. You're about 10 years too late. Foreclosures? There aren't many here, and the competition for that small inventory is significant. We simply haven't had the kind of economic issues other parts of the country have had that make foreclosures and short sales plentiful.

Quote:
The draws for Texas for us area:

No income tax
Lots of expansive and diverse scenery
Red state
Good economy

Phoenix also works but it's just so hot there i cannot live in 9 months of 100 degrees

I have also heard that CA and Texas are like twins and that TX is what CA would be if it were a red state and vice versa
Texas and California are nothing alike. Nothing.

As others have mentioned, the no income tax is completely wiped out by high property taxes. And guess what? If you don't have income because you're unemployed, ill, retired or otherwise not working, that property tax bill is still due. It never goes away.

Texas is expansive but has far from diverse scenery. The hill country's nice by Texas standards but doesn't compare to similar areas in other states. The gulf coast beaches are nothing like the ocean beaches you're used to.

Texas may still be a red state, but Austin is blue. Based on everything you've said here, you will find it infuriatingly blue.

Good economy? Sure. If you're educated and possess certain skills. But Austin's a miserably expensive place to live for people who don't have those financial resources.

The Austin area is the wrong place for you to move. You might look at San Antonio, which is less expensive and tends to be more blue collar --- although your ESL quip leads me to believe you might not be open minded enough to live there. Houston is also so big that there are a lot more housing opportunities at lower income levels. Look at the Dallas burbs and further out.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:27 PM

1,474 posts, read 1,297,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadzero View Post
I would suggest Manor. It's going to be closer to downtown than Round Rock (or north), Leander, etc. With the recent 290 toll road, I'm betting we're going to see a lot more development in the Northeast.
And horrible schools.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:05 AM

5,184 posts, read 5,521,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
Actually, no. I was just responding to your list of reasons for moving here with facts. But, think whatever you like...
At least one of your "facts" is pretty questionable - personal opinion at best.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:19 AM

614 posts, read 565,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Oh a link to a random internet infographic. I stand corrected. You really showed me.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:46 AM

1,751 posts, read 2,044,830 times
Quote:
As others have mentioned, the no income tax is completely wiped out by high property taxes.
This is a discussion for another post, but I wouldn't say that at all. One is an increasingly punitive measure as you work more or become more successful, and which requires considerable time and energy to document and file. The other is a bill whose amount, while certainly not fixed (as we've all seen!), can be anticipated and doesn't change based on your own economic output.

That may seem like six of one and half a dozen of the other to some of you, but after NYC, I'll take TCAD any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or