U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 05:51 PM

87 posts, read 98,852 times

Advertisements

Somewhere safe, good schools for someone who would like to purchase a 3/1 ranch for less than $150k. Comparison to Houston would be Pearland or Friendswood. I am coming from Lakeside, CA but raised in Boston and born in Ireland. I have two kids and we are a moderate/republican/libertarian family, I drive a truck, I'm a firearm owner, I like nature (I am telling you this so we can fit in somewhere).

Austin would probably be more to our liking than Houston from a weather standpoint. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 05:52 PM

Places we have heard about are Leander, Buda and Bastrop would these fit?

Old 05-14-2015, 06:02 PM

7,138 posts, read 13,038,219 times
Austin and Houston have virtually identical weather, $150,000 won't get you much even in Bastrop or Buda and the schools would be average.

Liberty Hill, maybe? but even there, $150,000 won't go far. No acreage for sure.

You may have much better luck in around Houston, I don't know. Why Texas? Plenty of cheaper places in the US that are warm and republican/libertarian

Old 05-14-2015, 06:16 PM

I am seeing some homes around that on zillow, I would also look into foreclosures cause that's how we got our home here.

I'm thinking that Houston would be more Humid like New Orleans since its on the water, Austin is inland and more west.

As for good schools, they don't have to be A plus just safe, not too much ESL and a decent quality of education and that stuff, we aren't tiger parents

Old 05-14-2015, 06:20 PM

The draws for Texas for us area:

No income tax
Lots of expansive and diverse scenery
Red state
Good economy

Phoenix also works but it's just so hot there i cannot live in 9 months of 100 degrees

I have also heard that CA and Texas are like twins and that TX is what CA would be if it were a red state and vice versa

Old 05-14-2015, 07:03 PM

614 posts, read 590,917 times
Comments below are specifically for Austin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass hole in Cali View Post

No income tax - That's more than made up for in property taxes.
Lots of expansive and diverse scenery - Is there? We have hill country, but there are other cities/states that have much more to offer in this area.
Red state - Austin is definitely blue. And while Texas on the whole is currently red, it used to be blue, and is trending purple.
Good economy - It's a good economy if you are in the tech or finiancial sector. The divide between rich and poor is extremely evident here.

Phoenix also works but it's just so hot there i cannot live in 9 months of 100 degrees

I have also heard that CA and Texas are like twins and that TX is what CA would be if it were a red state and vice versa - If you do move here, I wouldn't ever say that to any Texans. And definitely don't ever compare Austin to California—that would not go well. It's a sore spot with all the Californians who have been coming here in recent years.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:13 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,970,238 times
Quote:

Well how about 4 months of 100 degrees and 78% humidity?

Old 05-14-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
Comments below are specifically for Austin...
Dude you kind of sound like one of those people who are trying to keep others from moving to your state woth the "Texas is purple" crapola. I bet your answer would have been different if I mentioned that I am a left wing NAMBLA member or something lol

Old 05-14-2015, 07:22 PM

Don't use Zillow, it is nearly useless. Texas is a non-disclosure state so sold prices are not public. Zillow is often out of date.

Use Austin home search, it is the public side of the central Texas MLS. I search for 3/1 homes with a top price and found about 300. BUT that is in the entire (HUGE) area. Most were in small towns like Smithville, Lockhart, Elgin, McDade, places that are 40+ miles from Austin and with less than stellar schools. You can find something in Manor or Del Valle but not on any sort of acreage and it would be a stretch to call the schools good, lots of ESL and you say you don't want that. Some of the listings at that price are for old mobile homes and places that are in disrepair.

Have you looked at the Texas Panhandle? Oklahoma City also meets all of your criteria, even better than Austin does.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Dude you kind of sound like one of those people who are trying to keep others from moving to your state woth the "Texas is purple" crapola. I bet your answer would have been different if I mentioned that I am a left wing NAMBLA member or something lol
I don't think so. We tell plenty of Northeasterners that liberal in Austin means something different than liberal in Boston! Plenty of vegan lesbians who own guns for example. As well as atheists who are fiscally conservative and LOTS of people who just don't care what someone's political leanings are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or