Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2015, 11:21 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,735,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post
Anyone who tries to go thru a low water crossing with a high water marker deserves to get washed away... Don't try to save these ppl!...
Absolutely unacceptable sentiments - on so many levels. There is no way of knowing whether the person knew what they were driving into, esp. during poor visability during severe weather or at night!

The only thing this comment tell us (if we could read minds)..is who not to save!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 12:46 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,541,345 times
Sure hope those folks were smart enough to move their cars away from the Lake Travis shoreline. Hard to believe people were still parking there last night. With the nearby and upstream deluge today, I reckon some of those cars are now boats(or reefs).

Old 05-25-2015, 02:33 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,325,753 times
Those idiotic morons who went tubing in Barton Creek and the stupid Kayaker up in Georgetown deserve to get a hefty bill from the fire departments that rescued their dumb butts.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:35 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,776,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
Absolutely unacceptable sentiments - on so many levels. There is no way of knowing whether the person knew what they were driving into, esp. during poor visability during severe weather or at night!

The only thing this comment tell us (if we could read minds)..is who not to save!

It was a hypothetical...

Most of these ppl who go thru low water can see what's going on but just go for it... Same piggies who try to go around traffic in the merge lane... Wash them away!...

Old 05-25-2015, 02:36 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,776,452 times
BTW lake is going up faster again...

Old 05-25-2015, 02:41 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I have a high water marker two doors down from me at the end of my road and see them all over the place out here.

I mean no disrespect, but wringing hands and proposing multi-million dollar solutions to solve rare occurrences of flood damage and save Darwin candidates from themselves is exactly the extreme nannyism that folks here complain endlessly about other states *coughCaliforniacough* subjecting residents to. That's not the Texas way.
I don't it as many state-ism. I find it pathetic that apparently a slightly above average amount of rain can shut down a significant part of the road system around here.

Now blasting "Turn around. Don't drown" does come off as a nanny state thing. They even made it rhyme so the LCD could remember it.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:54 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,879,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I don't it as many state-ism. I find it pathetic that apparently a slightly above average amount of rain can shut down a significant part of the road system around here.

Now blasting "Turn around. Don't drown" does come off as a nanny state thing. They even made it rhyme so the LCD could remember it.
+10000

Yep, I had a friend that lived in San Antonio for a few years and he finally returned to the Midwest. His final sentiments were "I got tired of fire ants, lack of rain and when it did rain just a bit everything flooded. It seemed the infrastructure was like something you'd have in a 3rd world country. Adios, you can have it but I will miss the authentic Mexican in San Antonio."

Old 05-25-2015, 02:54 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,615,889 times
Quote:
I find it pathetic that apparently a slightly above average amount of rain can shut down a significant part of the road system around here.
I takes more than 'slightly above average' for many of the LWCs, and it is not a 'significant part of the road system'.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:55 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,274,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
So I guess all the EMS personnel that die trying to save the people trapped in their cars at low water crossings is also "thinning the herd" because they shouldn't have chosen a profession in which their lives are at danger?
What a complete nonsequiteur. Pointless comparison. One hopes you do in fact understand the difference between people that are either so oblivious to their surroundings or reckless enough to blindly drive into high water - and the people who have chosen to serve others and rescue these idjits. You do understand the difference, don't you?

Frankly, on Memorial Day, this odious attempt to make a debating point is especially distasteful. One could extend that faulty logic onto every person that we are giving our gratitude for today. In my twenty seven years as a Navy carrier aviator, I lost dozens of friends. All of us chose that career in full recognition that we chose a "profession in which their lives are at danger". To say that life of selfless service is the same as recklessly driving into high water cheapens that sacrifice.

Disgusting.

Here's just the most recent one. This guy left behind a wife and three kids. Saw his son get his wings, never saw his two daughters graduate. Never danced at his kids weddings. Never held his grandkids. Didn't get to grow old with his wonderful wife. Maybe I should have all four of them come visit so you can express your thoughts in person?

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/news/loc...allon-aircraft

Old 05-25-2015, 03:01 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,615,889 times
Or, divide the billions of dollars that it would cost to upgrade LWCs by the number of people that die. Now, compare other projects and see what number of lives can be saved for the same money or better. Hell, put speed governors on cars and see how many lives are saved for less money .

Honestly, it would be nice to upgrade some of the LWCs and a few select ones probably should be - not necessarily for live-saving but more for traffic reliability; however, some crossings are so lightly trafficked and would cost so much to upgrade to a real bridge (a 40' LWC may be a 200' or longer concrete bridge) that is just doesn't make sense. Finally, it seems that many of the swept-away instances are due to people driving around barricades or past signs/lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin