Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2015, 03:06 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
What a complete nonsequiteur. Pointless comparison. One hopes you do in fact understand the difference between people that are either so oblivious to their surroundings or reckless enough to blindly drive into high water - and the people who have chosen to serve others and rescue these idjits. You do understand the difference, don't you?

Frankly, on Memorial Day, this odious attempt to make a debating point is especially distasteful. One could extend that faulty logic onto every person that we are giving our gratitude for today. In my twenty seven years as a Navy carrier aviator, I lost dozens of friends. All of us chose that career in full recognition that we chose a "profession in which their lives are at danger". To say that life of selfless service is the same as recklessly driving into high water cheapens that sacrifice.

Disgusting.
No I don't understand the difference in wanting somebody to perish, either way. A sailor perishing or a cowboy that was coming back home late at night after tending to the cattle at the ranch and is tired and not thinking clearly and can't see ahead and doesn't realize there is a low crossing road that is flooded and then gets sucked away by the water does not deserve to be a victim of the "darwin awards." Both are lives that are valuable and need to be honored. And before you say "But I bet the cowboy was drunk, he deserves it." Well, don't you think the sailor was drunk too? My best friend was a sailor, he told me what happens on and off shore. People should value people, period.

And saying that just because someone falls into the low end of the IQ spectrum they deserve to die is equally disgusting. One life is not more important than another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 03:14 PM

Llano River is above flood stage, great news for Lake Travis:

5/25/15 4:10 PM 10.08' 19459 cfs, 10' flood stage

Old 05-25-2015, 03:27 PM

677 posts, read 653,133 times
Lake Travis is at 649.38 now, and with Llano flooded we should still be coming up for days, even if this rain subsides. This is awesome.

Old 05-25-2015, 03:41 PM

172 posts, read 410,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
So poor people are not entitled to as much water as rich people?
No, actually. No one is entitled to anything.

Old 05-25-2015, 03:42 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Where's that strawman?

Old 05-25-2015, 03:48 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I would totally be for having sensors and automatic gates when it floods, just like a train crossing. But they currently don't have those!.
As long as it's paid for with "other people's money", right?

Old 05-25-2015, 03:52 PM

172 posts, read 410,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post
It was a hypothetical...

Most of these ppl who go thru low water can see what's going on but just go for it... Same piggies who try to go around traffic in the merge lane... Wash them away!...
I doubt that. When it's pouring you can hardly see water on roads until it's too late.

Old 05-25-2015, 03:53 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I have a high water marker two doors down from me at the end of my road and see them all over the place out here.

I mean no disrespect, but wringing hands and proposing multi-million dollar solutions to solve rare occurrences of flood damage and save Darwin candidates from themselves is exactly the extreme nannyism that folks here complain endlessly about other states *coughCaliforniacough* subjecting residents to. That's not the Texas way.

Quote:
But wasting taxpayers money on needless feeder roads "is the Texas way" huh?

And that's another kind of comment ("We didn't have those where I came from and I don't like them so you shouldn't have them even if they HAVE worked just fine here for a very long time) that fits into the category that Nor Cal Wahine is referencing above.

Old 05-25-2015, 03:56 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
But wasting taxpayers money on needless feeder roads "is the Texas way" huh?
Who decided they are needless.

Old 05-25-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And that's another kind of comment ("We didn't have those where I came from and I don't like them so you shouldn't have them even if they HAVE worked just fine here for a very long time) that fits into the category that Nor Cal Wahine is referencing above.
Touche'.

You got me, but you have to admit many Texans are awfully sensitive and defensive when it comes to criticism. I never criticize Texas culture like BBQ or TexMex food but safety is always one of my concerns and I think we can all agree about that. I have a son about to enter driving age. I would hate to think that the first time he enters a low crossing road, if he is swept away that people would think he deserved it.

Last edited by cBach; 05-25-2015 at 04:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin