Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 05:19 PM

101 posts, read 165,186 times

Advertisements

I am starting to aggressively save up for my first home. However, I'm having a hard time figuring out how much I can afford to pay for a house. The online tools don't take into account the idiosyncrasies of Austin and my situation.

Bear in mind that I'm not looking for a quote, but just a ball park figure of what I should be targeting.

I'm willing and able to pay $2,500/mo for the full mortgage (that means principal, interest, PMI, property taxes, etc. all included in the $2,500/mo). My credit is poor (640) due to several medical bills that I accrued very recently (this year). However, outside of the medical bills, my credit profile is perfect. Never been late on anything. My annual income is $75K. I'd like to live in south west Austin near the intersection of Mopac/290.

Based on the metrics above, what would a ball park target be for a home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 06:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Conservative estimates say use 2x your annual salary for the price of a home.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Conservative estimates say use 2x your annual salary for the price of a home.
I'm going to assume that no one follows that, since to afford the median home price in Austin ($222,100), you would have to make $111,050/yr, which is no where near the median salary of $52,453...

Old 05-27-2015, 07:20 PM

844 posts, read 2,020,366 times
They do follow that - however, many people who purchase homes are couples, hence dual incomes - each making $55k per year.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:22 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoviero View Post
I am starting to aggressively save up for my first home. However, I'm having a hard time figuring out how much I can afford to pay for a house. The online tools don't take into account the idiosyncrasies of Austin and my situation.

Bear in mind that I'm not looking for a quote, but just a ball park figure of what I should be targeting.

I'm willing and able to pay $2,500/mo for the full mortgage (that means principal, interest, PMI, property taxes, etc. all included in the $2,500/mo). My credit is poor (640) due to several medical bills that I accrued very recently (this year). However, outside of the medical bills, my credit profile is perfect. Never been late on anything. My annual income is $75K. I'd like to live in south west Austin near the intersection of Mopac/290.

Based on the metrics above, what would a ball park target be for a home?
You're over thinking it. There are no idiosyncrasies to take into account. A house cost hat it costs.

Talk to a mortgage lender and get pre-approved. Then you'll know exactly what you qualify for. You can decide to buy less than that if you want, but you'll know your number. But you need to talk to the lender first.

With regard to saving, you'll need at least 3.5% down. There are zero down loans available in outskirt areas. But you have to take into account whether price appreciation will outstrip your rate of saving. That's the real quandary.

You'll be fine with a 640 FICO. Interest will be a bit higher, but there are loan products that you will fit into.

Good luck!

Steev

Old 05-27-2015, 07:35 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
I thought the rule of thumb was 3x your salary.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
They do follow that - however, many people who purchase homes are couples, hence dual incomes - each making $55k per year.
Actually that was median "household" incomes, not individual.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
You're over thinking it. There are no idiosyncrasies to take into account. A house cost hat it costs.

Talk to a mortgage lender and get pre-approved. Then you'll know exactly what you qualify for. You can decide to buy less than that if you want, but you'll know your number. But you need to talk to the lender first.

With regard to saving, you'll need at least 3.5% down. There are zero down loans available in outskirt areas. But you have to take into account whether price appreciation will outstrip your rate of saving. That's the real quandary.

You'll be fine with a 640 FICO. Interest will be a bit higher, but there are loan products that you will fit into.

Good luck!

Steev
I'll contact a mortgage broker and get pre-approved for an FHA loan, to see what the costs are going to be.

Thanks!

Old 05-27-2015, 08:52 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Fha loans are a lot more expensive than they used to be with the insurance premiums now that never go away on most of the loans

The amount you should or could spend should be in relation to your other obligations

Old 05-27-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Fha loans are a lot more expensive than they used to be with the insurance premiums now that never go away on most of the loans

The amount you should or could spend should be in relation to your other obligations
I know, that's why I specifically mentioned that I'm willing and able to spend $2,500/mo. That's how much I have a month after expenses, taxes, savings, 401k, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: