Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2015, 04:48 AM

10 posts, read 37,136 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are considering buying in either Great Hills (close to Laurel Mountain school) or Jester. Can someone compare rush hour traffic to downtown from these locations? Google says they are about equal - 30-40min leaving at 8am on a Wed. Anyone have experience with both?

Also, how is traffic from Jester to North Austin? It looks easy according to Google, I suppose it's mostly going against traffic flow.

Besides traffic, any other insights comparing the two are appreciated. We have 2 elementary school children, and it seems kind of a wash to us: we have a slight preference for Hill>Anderson over LM>Westwood, but also a slight preference for being closer to schools.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 05:47 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
I think jester has worse traffic in both cases. The intersection of 2222 and 360 is just bad during rush hour because of all the people coming from river place, lake way, steiner etc.

360 going north is also bad because 360 has lights which slow everything down. Great hills feeding into laurel mountain can go down yaupon to spicewood springs, then under 360 then spicewood springs all the way to mopac which is very consistent (except for a 2-3 week period last year where it was getting really backed up).

Once you are on mopac it is slow but not any different then 2222/mopac

I work at far west and mopac and can go from laurel mountain to far west/mopac in about 10-12 minutes (I leave about 15 minutes before my meetings, park and get to them on time). Then I would expect it would take another 20 minutes (or more) to get downtown.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:07 PM

157 posts, read 266,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximizer View Post
Hi all,

Besides traffic, any other insights comparing the two are appreciated.

Thank you!
I live in Great Hills and will tell you I think that it has excellent paths to getting around town - because you are right where Mopac, 183, and 360 converge, so you have many options for getting around. If you're in Jester, you have more limited ways in and out. They're both nice areas.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:04 PM

151 posts, read 238,586 times
If you plan your trips to North Austin not around peak driving times, your commute from Jester to either Four Points area, Far West area, or Arboretum area will be not bad to get your living essentials. Great Hills might have the downtown advantage of getting you there faster because of traffic at 360 and 2222 but it won't be a huge advantage, probably 10 minutes at most but I have never done the drive in peak driving time from Jester to downtown. I live in Great Hills-- love it here!

Old 06-07-2015, 06:13 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
google maps will also let you look at traffic during rush hour and do estimated times so you can try that for a few days in a row.

Keep in mind traffic should be lighter now that kids are out of school.

People mentioned that google can do historical traffic analysis but I wasnt able to find the feature. Maybe do a google search to find it.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:49 PM

319 posts, read 610,158 times
Did Google Maps also mention to you that it's going to potentially take you 10-15min just to get out of Jester? Most of the homes there aren't right near the exit. There's a lot of speed humps, steep hills, etc. that really slow things down. Some parts of Great Hills could also take some time but not so many obstacles at least. Jester is wholly dependent on 360 and 2222. 2222 traffic to/from downtown isn't too bad but 360 is a royal PIA and there are no alternatives, especially from Jester. There can be bad traffic at 10am, noon, and then again at 4-5pm on 360. 183 without traffic is very fast and against the flow (which is mostly to Cedar Park) also not bad with lots of alternatives for people not commuting in/out of town. Same story for Mopac. Plus, I'm not a big fan of the character of Jester Estates. It's for people who wish they lived in the middle of no where but who need to be near the city. It'd drive me mad quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin