Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 12:17 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,828,191 times

Advertisements

From the article:

The Big Dig was the most expensive highway project in the US, and was plagued by escalating costs, scheduling overruns, leaks, design flaws, charges of poor execution and use of substandard materials, criminal arrests,[2][3] and one death.[4] The project was originally scheduled to be completed in 1998[5] at an estimated cost of $2.8 billion (in 1982 dollars, US$6.0 billion adjusted for inflation as of 2006).[6] However, the project was completed only in December 2007, at a cost of over $14.6 billion ($8.08 billion in 1982 dollars, meaning a cost overrun of about 190%)[6] as of 2006.[7] The Boston Globe estimated that the project will ultimately cost $22 billion, including interest, and that it will not be paid off until 2038.[8] As a result of the death, leaks, and other design flaws, the consortium that oversaw the project agreed to pay $407 million in restitution, and several smaller companies agreed to pay a combined sum of approximately $51 million.[9]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 12:32 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
From the article:

The Boston Globe estimated that the project will ultimately cost $22 billion, including interest, and that it will not be paid off until 2038.
Boy, what a buzz kill you are. Next thing, you will tell the kiddies there is no Santa Claus.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:44 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
My SIL lived in the Boston area for most of that fiasco...

Old 06-16-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Yup, the infamous Big Dig cost overrun was a combination of unexpected geologic problems...
Left out one:

Quote:
Broadly speaking, mitigation was the state’s promise to alleviate the Big Dig’s impact on Boston, from interrupting business to harming the environment. Mitigation eventually accounted for about one-third of the Big Dig’s cost—from the thousands of dollars needed to outfit North End apartments with air conditioning, soundproof windows, and firm mattresses as residents settled in for a decade of construction to the more than $1 billion needed to rework a planned bridge that business leaders, residents, and the nearby city of Cambridge considered ugly.
Pretty sure those things would never happen in downtown Austin.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:05 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
This is the ideal solution in my opinion. What the price tag is and whether anyone wants to pay said price are the big questions. I'd spitball that it's a $5-10 billion project, and you could build several commuter rail lines for that price.
Yep this is what is needed.

People complain about the Big Dig, but I remember going to Logan via the Sumner/Callahan tunnel and having to allocate hour to make flights. Then when the Mass Pike opened to Logan, that hour logjam became a 15 minute drive. It really did improve traffic and the surface streets are now beautiful!

Old 06-16-2015, 10:40 PM

615 posts, read 781,055 times
The comparison of cut and cap to the big dig is absurd. The only similarity is that the big dig reconnected the North End and added parkland where a concrete monstrosity used to be. That is where the similarity ends.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:25 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,828,191 times
How is it absurd?

That's an honest question. Obviously we have less area to cover, but where I grew up, Big Dig was referred to as THE reason why large-scale, underground roads were not feasible. Sure the result is fine for people who don't have to pay the bills, but even half of that price tag isn't viable here. It's not even the price itself that's the issue for me - it's the fact that the total cost had no relationship at all to the estimate, even by government project standards.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
The comparison of cut and cap to the big dig is absurd.
Since this is what started the comparison:

Quote:
Better idea is to just totally submerge I-35 from the river to about Airport.

Underground you could have as many lanes as you want. The surface could be a nice boulevard. Initially I'd propose a 10 lane underground I-35 with a six lane boulevard above with a grassy median and trees.
It isn't absurd. And THAT can't be done by cut and cap.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:00 PM

615 posts, read 781,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
How is it absurd?

That's an honest question. Obviously we have less area to cover, but where I grew up, Big Dig was referred to as THE reason why large-scale, underground roads were not feasible. Sure the result is fine for people who don't have to pay the bills, but even half of that price tag isn't viable here. It's not even the price itself that's the issue for me - it's the fact that the total cost had no relationship at all to the estimate, even by government project standards.
The big dig was the most ambitious highway project ever executed in the US. It involved tunneling under a major metropolitan city as well as the Atlantic Ocean. I lived next to South Station for years and watched the construction progress.

Cut and cap is a standard highway project that has been implemented in many other cities.

A more accurate comparison would be another cut and cap project, such as Dallas and the now Klyde Warren Park.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:40 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Wait, you mean all those bike lanes and 130 didn't change anything??? How could they ever have predicted that? It's not like everyone hasn't been saying that for years...oh, wait.

They should have done it 20 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin