Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2015, 01:30 PM

17 posts, read 25,570 times

Advertisements

We are looking to buy from Ladera. Also considering Avana in Circle C.

What are pros and cons of these two areas? Commute wise (Downtown) Avana is 2 - 5 minutes better (google maps).

I liked the low tax rate of Ladera and good schools. But worried about very low asian indian population here.

Please help me! Appreciate your inputs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 02:01 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayareatoaustin View Post
What are pros and cons of these two areas? Commute wise (Downtown) Avana is 2 - 5 minutes better (google maps).
Don't believe that for a NY minute. At least not at commute times. Probably more like 15-20 minutes better. From SW Pkwy and Mopac, you have the same commute. But it will take you 30 min to get to there from Ladera, vice 15 from Avaña.

Plus, I don't like how bald and treeless Ladera is. But that might be just me.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:07 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
It is not 30 minutes from Ladera down Southwest Parkway just to Mopac. Whenever I need to get downtown in the morning commute, it only takes me 22-25 minutes to get to the actual exit for Ceasar Chavez and I'm 5 minutes further West than Ladera in Falconhead West.

The communities are very apples to oranges in what you like in an area and school district, so I'll only comment on the 1 big con that I hear a lot from my clients and that's the Backyard. They don't want the free concerts ringing in their houses throughout the year.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:17 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
It is not 30 minutes from Ladera down Southwest Parkway just to Mopac. Whenever I need to get downtown in the morning commute, it only takes me 22-25 minutes to get to the actual exit for Ceasar Chavez and I'm 5 minutes further West than Ladera in Falconhead West.
It is 17 miles from Ladera to Austin High. If you can drive that at rush hour in 17 minutes (your 22 minus the 5 extra), including the Mopac traffic from 290 to town, more power to you.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:29 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,530,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
It is 17 miles from Ladera to Austin High. If you can drive that at rush hour in 17 minutes (your 22 minus the 5 extra), including the Mopac traffic from 290 to town, more power to you.
No kidding.

averaging 60mph?
during rush hour?
in Austin?

When pitching neighborhoods, let's be honest.
We owe it to the people who come here looking for advice.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:46 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
No kidding.

averaging 60mph?
during rush hour?
in Austin?

When pitching neighborhoods, let's be honest.
We owe it to the people who come here looking for advice.
Why would I lie? I don't care if people move to the Lake Travis area so why do I have a reason to make it look better than other areas? I've made the drive too many times to count and it's never over 25 minutes to the exit. I didn't say it was 25 minutes to actual downtown to a specific place. I said to the exit. All these drives are any time between 7:15-8:30 when I've clocked it. I always give myself so much extra time because people always say that it takes 30-45 minutes from my area, and I always sit around twiddling my thumbs being so early.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:20 PM

17 posts, read 25,570 times
Any other inputs?

Old 06-16-2015, 11:27 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,776,575 times
Ladera is a treeless, soulless subdivision... These kinds of communities are what's wrong with America... IMO...

Old 06-18-2015, 11:52 AM

26 posts, read 47,116 times
bayareatoaustin,

We researched Ladera extensively but did not buy there 2 years ago as the lot size/floorplan didn't suit us. ALso not having a pool and park was a big no no for us. Second phase was not open then, so most of the homes they were offering were about 3000sqft max, also they wanted ridiculous lot premiums for those tiny lots. It was an absolute sellers market so they were not negotiating.

It is close to completion now and very few lots are left.

We found homes to be pricier than other neighborhoods due to the demand in Ladera at that time.
Yes, it built out at a breathtaking pace...

Pros:
1) Ladera is attractive for tax rate 2%
2) Closer to downtown etc compared to other communities like falconhead, sweetwater, west cypress hills rocky creek etc.

3) Shopping areas within 3-5 min drive, target is walkable, Galleria, HEB within 3-5 min.
4) Good schools LTISD.
5) Day care right next to it (Bright horizons)

Cons:
1) No pool or park in the community.

2) Prices have increased so you might get more house for the money in other master planned neighborhooods like the ones I mentioned above. But they are slightly further away.

3) Only one builder (Taylor morisson) , so you may or may not like all his floorplans/options etc.

4) Desi population is very small (or none) in first phase but the larger section in second phase have few of them. Many of them moved recently.

5) Bland looking community with houses on top of each other, no trees no scenic beauty at all.

I drive from Sweetwater to Mopac/Barton skyway daily under 25-30min , ladera is 5 min closer than sweetwater (now that the two lanes on 71 are now open).

Hope this helps.

Subba

Old 06-18-2015, 12:36 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,530,831 times
It's unfortunate that people have to put up with all that for the sake of good schools. Remove LTISD, and most of the value is gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin