Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 02:14 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times

Advertisements

Your home owner's insurance should cover some of this cost.

In the future if you require anyone doing work on your property to provide you proof of their insurance, you would then be able to file a claim against their insurance company should they damage anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 02:18 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Also, regarding the water bill -- I'd contact the utility now (your MUD, or Austin) and let them know about the damaged pipe and that you repaired it. Sometimes they will give you a break and charge you the lower tier on some of that extra water, and that can make a huge difference on the bill.
Yes, the City reduced my bill once when I discovered a broken sprinkler line had been leaking. I had to provide proof (receipt) that the line had been repaired.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:29 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Your home owner's insurance should cover some of this cost.
Maybe, but the OP should be careful about going to the insurance company. They won't cover the water bill, and maybe not even the plumbing repair. If the damage is just in the garage, and isn't that significant, it may be counterproductive to seek a claim. The rates will go up and water damage claims can make the property harder to insure in the future. And chances are it's only a little money that the insurance company would kick in after your deductible.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:32 PM

7 posts, read 4,588 times
I called on the water and was told they won't know how much extra we used until the meter is read at the end of the month, but I will definitely follow up on your recommendations on that! Anything to soften the blow here.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:37 PM

7 posts, read 4,588 times
He also wants me to pay him for his last mow by the way. Talk about adding insult to injury.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:19 PM

288 posts, read 811,804 times
I'd tell him to pound sand and consider himself lucky you don't sue him.

Sounds like it's time to find a new (preferably insured) landscaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: