Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 08:26 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,986 times

Advertisements

Just wondering, why all of these Chicagoland people coming down to Austin?

Are you glad Geno's East of Chicago is opening up on E. 6th St? By the way, if you want "Austin" Chicago-style pizza, there is Conan's Pizza!

I am not sure what Austin, Texas would have in common with Chicago; but perhaps someone can tell me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 08:29 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
I consider the two to be polar opposites!

Old 06-25-2015, 08:39 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
For a lot of the yuppie and/or hipster contingents, Austin and Chicago are considered the coolest cities in Middle America. Lollapalooza and ACL are basically the same music festival as well. Those are the main commonalities I can think of.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:44 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,434,427 times
Grew up there. Haven't lived there for a long, long, long time. Heard a couple at HEB at another register say they were from Chicago. I think it's job opportunities and all of the magazines that say Austin is a great place to live. You really can't stop people from coming here. I ate at Gino's as a kid, and it's really good. As long as there are jobs, people will keep coming from Chicago, SF, NYC, Ohio, etc., etc.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:47 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
It's odd because it used to be that Chicagoans would move to Houston. I had many people comment that Houston looks like Chicago in suburbia because it's flat just like Chicago. Then the skyscrapers in Houston can compare favorably to Chicago's skyscrapers as well (not as many or as tall but still impressive).

Lately, however, it seems Chicagoans are tending to Austin instead. Not sure why though.

I am not going to complain about deep dish pizza coming here, it's welcome. But pleaze no talk about pro baseball or football. I don't care if you miss a Cubs game, go enjoy a Round Rock Express game, they are a lot of fun too!

Old 06-26-2015, 07:10 AM

52 posts, read 51,437 times
2 words: Polar Vortex

Not this most recent winter, but the one before, was the worst winter in 20+ years. Combine that with $111B in unfunded pensions and a weak economy and you have your answer.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:38 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,988,604 times
Im from chicago .... I moved here because I relocated my company here.. I buy a lot of inventory from austin and texas. I wanted to be in the middle and save my company a lot on shipping costs every year. It just so happened to be austin. Just so happened to be the place where everyone else wants to live.

Gino East really is not that good... actually the one by my house went out of business.....

Palermos is where the good pizza is at...

They cities really don't have similarities ....

I just ran into some girl that was from chicago at lifetime fitness.... she said she was offered a job out of college for a medical equipment company and moved here...

so I am assuming its the same for a lot of ppl...

The economy in illinois and chicago is nothing like here in austin.... restaurants here are always busy monday through sunday .....I want to say saturday and sundays are usually only busy days out there...

Old 06-26-2015, 08:54 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
im originally from illinois. My parents are still there. Chicago is almost bankrupt and the governor indicated he would not bail them out as the state is almost bankrupt too.

Chicago Slides Toward Bankruptcy*|*Ted Dabrowski

Quote:
In all, Chicago taxpayers owe nearly $35 billion in pension debt. That's quadruple what they owed a decade ago. Chicago households are on the hook for more than $60,000 each when the city's long-term borrowings are included.

But if the debt load wasn't enough, Chicago's dysfunctional leaders have done a lot to make things worse.

For starters, they purposefully shortchanged the pension funds. In 2010, for example, politicians passed a three-year pension "holiday" that allowed Chicago Public Schools to skip $1.2 billion in contributions to the teacher pension system.

They've also agreed to give generous salary and pension benefits in exchange for union political support, with no regard to whether taxpayers could afford the increased costs. That's driven up city and sister-government costs, despite an overall 14 percent cut in total employment since 2004.

Emanuel let himself get rolled by the unions during a 2012 teachers strike. He caved and signed a major salary increase when the school district was already staring at a $1 billion shortfall.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:01 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
Just wondering, why all of these Chicagoland people coming down to Austin?

Are you glad Geno's East of Chicago is opening up on E. 6th St? By the way, if you want "Austin" Chicago-style pizza, there is Conan's Pizza!

I am not sure what Austin, Texas would have in common with Chicago; but perhaps someone can tell me...
I'm not sure what Austin has in common with Naples, but we do have Italian restaurants here, so what's wrong with a little more diversity in our available dining choices?

I don't think we're in any danger of Round Rock turning into Cicero.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:03 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,988,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
I'm not sure what Austin has in common with Naples, but we do have Italian restaurants here, so what's wrong with a little more diversity in our available dining choices?

I don't think we're in any danger of Round Rock turning into Cicero.
I would compare Round Rock to the town I lived in (orland park) and when I had my exodus of the area... it was getting over-ran by the east suburbs and crime was up drastically....

I see that not happening here. EVER
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin