Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2015, 08:29 AM
hts hts started this thread

762 posts, read 2,163,103 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend has this crazy notion that she wants me to build her some simple curtain rods around the house out of black pipe fittings. Fine. Any suggestions where I can buy them relatively cheaply? We have a lot of windows in this stoopid house. Not that it matters as I'll pick them up anywhere in the ATX metro, but we're down in the Drip/Henly area just in case there's any place down this way.

Attached Thumbnails
Where to buy black pipe fittings-black-pipe.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 08:35 AM

1,371 posts, read 1,932,809 times
I've been seeing a lot of that look, my honest opinion is it would look better if you found some quality USA fittings, everything from the big box stores is clearly stamped CHINA

Old 06-27-2015, 11:28 AM

Yes, I know I can get from HD/Lowes, etc, but that's not what we're looking for.

I just don't know the good/inexpensive plumbing supply companies that I can buy from locally without having to take out a second mortgage.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:38 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Have you checked Harrell's on Oltorf? They're not strictly plumbing supply, but have a bit of everything, and I've found the oddest things there, very inexpensively. They're where I go when at a loss, now that Crump's has closed.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:30 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,360 times
I was going to build a laundry rack out of those. But, I returned them all because of weight - I had a rather exact location and there was not a stud. Plus they were way pricey compared to a traditional laundry rod.

You can order online, although one advantage to buying local is that you can test the pipe threading for fitment. Some seemed a little crooked.

"floor flange" is the search term...

Old 06-29-2015, 06:49 AM

Thanks guys. I've never heard of Harrell's and I'll check them out this week.

I had thought about on-line, but would prefer to buy local this time, jsut in case we have any issues (most of the pipes will have to be certain lengths in order for us to get them into the studs).

Old 06-29-2015, 08:38 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hts View Post
Thanks guys. I've never heard of Harrell's and I'll check them out this week.

I had thought about on-line, but would prefer to buy local this time, jsut in case we have any issues (most of the pipes will have to be certain lengths in order for us to get them into the studs).
Don't want to quash or squash anybody's sense of style; but this project will be much more expensive than it's worth, IMO; especially if it's to be incorporated throughout the home. Custom lengths, custom threading, not much fun, I don't imagine. The actual black pipe isn't very attractive and the 'chromed' or otherwise nicer finishes will be darned spendy. Back when galvanized pipe was plentiful, a plumber might have had enough hanging around to pull off such a project...not so easy nowadays, I reckon. Good luck!

Old 06-29-2015, 12:58 PM

10scoachrick, thank you for sharing your learned opinion with me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin