Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2008, 09:20 AM

187 posts, read 844,407 times

Advertisements

Can anybody tell me anything about the Brodie Lane neighborhood, south of Wm Cannon and north of Davis, between Brodie and Westgate? Streets like Dunleigh, Dalton, Galesburg, Thomas Kincheon, Blumie, Elija, etc....

There seems to be a Brodie Lane neighborhood association, but I can't find anything about it online, and the city planning website shows that it has not entered the new planning/zoning stage yet....

Good place to live, buy a home, or not?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 09:53 AM

15,237 posts, read 35,421,260 times
Quote:
Galesburg
I had a very good friend that lived for years on Galesburg and just sold his house because he took a job up in Dallas.

Anyway, he lived on a cul-de-sac that backed up to Brodie and probably had one of the nicer homes on that street. Looking on TravisCAD, it is ~1564 sqft and appraised at ~$140k, and all the houses on the street appraised at between 130k and 145 k, so there is not much variation. The neighborhood has lots of rent houses, and a noticeable number near him had not so nice conditions on a regular basis (5 cars in the driveway spilling into the street, dead yards, garbage cans out all week, loud arguments). There was a really fat guy down the street that always sat at his table in nothing but boxers, with his blinds open and lights on at night. Made me think of the naked man on 'Friends'.

On the other hand, I think (although I am no property analysis) that his area has some potential. It is in a good location and there are more and more people looking at starter homes here (such as my friend). They tend to put a little more money into the house than an rental property owner so they can sell it and move up. My friends house recently (last month) sold for ~165K (not sure exactly) and he bought it for under 120k 4 or 5 years ago, so not a bad return. His wife is an interior designer and it looked really sharp (especially for the area) when they were showing it. They also added a very solid new fence and a deck.

Guess I am rambling, but if you don't have yound kids and are looking for a starter house, it may not be a bad area. Mind you, this is the only section of that area that I am familiar with, and there may be much better areas around there.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:55 AM

389 posts, read 1,566,131 times
Traffic... watch out for the traffic on Brodie Ln. Currently a continous stream of cars arourd rush hour and around elementary school drop off times..

This "may" change with the SH 45 extension, but its a few years off and kind of hard to predict exactly how it will play out. There had been an effort to disconnect Brodie LN from FM 1626, but last I heard it failed.

This is a major route for those in N. Hays county, Buda, Manchaca, even Kyle...
heading into Austin

Hope this helps,
Cheers

Old 01-23-2008, 12:30 PM

187 posts, read 844,407 times
Thanks, guys. I had the feeling that it's rentals by the same conditions TrainWreck describes...on one of those streets, I noticed people literally had garbage strewn all over their lawn, an old toilet...

But we found a house there we really like. No kids, no worries about school.

Question is, will the folks with garbage all over their yards (not "lawns," I misspoke) always be there, or does any one know of impending change for the area? AustinSteve? I ask because I see new condo duplexes going up, but I'm wondering if it will long be kinda "scuzzy" or if something's brewing... But as I said, there's no city plan for that area right now.

But the strip malls on Brodie sure are fancy-pants, so I was wondering....

Old 01-23-2008, 12:54 PM

15,237 posts, read 35,421,260 times
I probably have no more experience judging property value direction than you, but just from my own gut I think there will be improvement of some degree in the area for a few reasons:
  1. The area is kind of at the bottom already. Sure, it COULD get worse, but I don't realistically think it will. The likely way to go is up or stay at least the same.
  2. The increasing prices (even though the market is softening) in the more central area will start pushing some people who would rather be more central a little further out.
  3. The location really is good - relatively close to downtown areas, and really extensive shopping options just up the road in Sunset Valley.
  4. The houses are pretty cheap for that area of town. It really is a good option (imho) for a starter home, prior to school age kids, anyway.
On the down side:
  1. There are still a lot of renters/investment properties. I don't know how quickly that will change. Increasing value may keep investors (and associated renters) in the area for a while.
  2. The schools are all acceptable, but the problem is that there are 'better' ones very nearby that will draw the bigger money buyers. If I were looking at this area, I would worry mostly about Crockett as a High School, but depending on your address (the schools below are for my friends old house on Galesburg) you could end up at Travis High, which is rated 'Unacceptable':
    • Boone Elementary - Accademically Acceptable
    • Covington Middle School - Accademically Acceptable
    • Crocket High School - Academically Acceptable
  3. Traffic - Brodie has a lot of traffic and no easy way to relieve it. Some of these areas may have back ways out, though, so that may affect your valuation of a specific house.
This is just off the top of my head, so I am sure there are lots of other plusses and minuses.....

The apartments going up down there look pretty fancy (a little south of Harpers Ferry/Galesburg), and some nicer business are opening up. Again, my inclination is that there are will get nicer, but may depend on the general economy as much as anything else. The realtor gang may have more specific or less fuzzy thoughts .

Old 01-24-2008, 02:15 PM

153 posts, read 618,201 times
Hey,this is my hood! We built our own home here a little over 3 years ago and really love it. I can't really dispute what any of the others have said about the neighborhood...there is no HOA, so that has plusses and minuses; there are many rental units and duplexes; there are also several newly built nicer homes mixed in with some of the old Bergstrom barrack homes and trailer type homes; everyone that I have met in the neighborhood is very friendly...even the people that live in the house with the toilet out front waves when you come or go by!

As far as our value, we bought the land in the eighties and have seen our value go up quite a bit, obviously, but we are hoping it continues to rise as continued improvement happens.

As far as Brodie and traffic goes, I have never really thought of traffic being heavy unless you are on it at 5:00...and traffic is pretty heavy at that time anywhere. I love the convenience to the stores, pool, library, veloway and to Mopac. I run and ride my bike and leave often from my home and are more afraid of being chased by a dog than any of the neighbors.

I think it takes a certain person to appreciate the eccentricness of this neighborhood (Kincheonville is what I believe is the name of the neighborhood and has an interesting history). If you are looking for HOAs, cookie cutter houses, and the Jones next door, this neighborhood might not be for you. Otherwise, come on over and we can be neighbors!

Old 01-14-2009, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,883 times
Default Paisano Trail on the north, Davis Lane on the south, Brodie Lane on the west, and Longview Road on the east.

KINCHEONVILLE, TEXAS. Kincheonville was at a site in what is now southwest Austin, Travis County. It was bordered roughly by present Paisano Trail on the north, Davis Lane on the south, Brodie Lane on the west, and Longview Road on the east. The community was established by Thomas Kincheon in June 1865. Unlike other communities that were predominantly black, Kincheonville also had Hispanics and Anglo settlers. It remained a small farming community until Kincheon's son, Thomas Kincheon II, began to promote its development. Kincheon Subdivision No. 1 opened in 1952, and when this was successful, Kincheon Subdivision No. 2 followed. The Kincheon family moved to East Austin in the 1960s, along with most of the other black families in Austin. Kincheonville has since been absorbed by the city of Austin; several streets that Kincheon named after his children are all that remains of the community.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Austin American-Statesman, February 2, 1989.
Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl

Old 01-14-2009, 07:59 PM

46 posts, read 181,370 times
I live on the E. side of Westgate and really like it. The homes are a step up--probably 20-30k more, but they are slightly bigger and the neighborhood is better cared for. I think this whole area is on the way up, even though prices have kind of stalled out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin