Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2008, 09:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,029 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I’ve been reading these posts for a while now. I’d like to have some input from you guys if you don’t mind about the job market. I got the whole public school system figure out (I think), but need more info about job market and pay rate.

]Here is my story. I’m a single a mom of 2 boys (13 and 9 years old). I have 2 friends that moved to RR and Georgetown 2006 and they seem to love it there, but their situation is different than mine, one is married 2 kids and her husband has a good job, the other is married her kids leave out the house and they both work.
In the other hand, I leave in NYC, I have a decent paid job $55K/per year in a general construction company (heavy construction, like bridges, tunnels, highways, etc) as executive assistant. I have a great experience in the administrative field and fully bilingual (Spanish). I don’t like to leave in NYC anymore because is a though city for families with growing kids, let alone single parents (with the crimes, gangs and lack of after school activities). I can’t afford the rent hike so I moved in with my kid’s aunt, but I need to get my own space. My friends keep telling me to move to Texas. I went to visit RR, Hutto, and Cedar Park and surrounding areas including Austin in 2006, I liked it, but I could not move back then. I’m thinking to move if possible in the summer after my kids finish school.

Does anybody know what the average pay salary is for an executive assistant or bilingual adm assistant? Although I have 12 years experience in the construction industries and 8 years supporting executives, I’m confident I can work in any industry.
I checked several websites to compare cost of living between NYC and Austin, but I’d like to hear it from actual employees or families and friends.

Thank you all in advance for your input.

Last edited by hvprincesa; 01-23-2008 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 09:55 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
We only have a few administrative assistants in our company (not executive), and they make from $25k (worst-case starting, no exp.) on up to around $50k or maybe a little more. I am estimating, I don't know exactly what our experienced ones make. I think we are a typical at the low end and maybe a little high on the high-end for the type of position I am referring to.

Executive assistants (which we have none of) would probably make noticeably more, but they generally requrie years in the trenches or an 'in' with someone, as well as a very impressive resume. Our admins that make good money are very sharp. The entry level ones can make quite a bit more money, but there is some 'proving' time before that happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin