Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 07:21 AM

124 posts, read 176,905 times

Advertisements

Did I miss the official Welcome to Austin pamphlet stating I had to plant at least one or two crepe myrtles in my yard to fit in here? They are EVERYWHERE it seems, was there an initiative awhile back to get these things all over the place, or is it just people like the pink flowers in the summer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 07:28 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,098,988 times
They are very typical in Texas and other zone 8 places! They like the heat, withstand drought, grow to a nice medium size, and add color. Very low maintenance too. What is not to like?

Old 07-10-2015, 07:40 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,547,088 times
The initiative must date back to the '70s or before Our aunt's former house in Balcones Woods has two crepe myrtles that are original to the building of the home. Huge trunks! The trees tower over the house! Exfoliating bark takes some getting used to; but they are pretty trees, albeit a little messy.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:52 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,599 times
Let me guess. Someone from N of the DC - Nashville - OKC line?

AKA, plant hardiness zone 7, which is about the upper limit for crepe myrtles. Even then, depends on varieties. I've had one freeze stone dead in the winter here in Austin when it stayed below 20 for about three days.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:04 AM

112 posts, read 165,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
The initiative must date back to the '70s or before Our aunt's former house in Balcones Woods has two crepe myrtles that are original to the building of the home. Huge trunks! The trees tower over the house! Exfoliating bark takes some getting used to; but they are pretty trees, albeit a little messy.
Maybe the '50s or more. The Austin Metro Area was already filled with them when I grew into awareness in the early '60s.

I like to keep moving so instead of sitting in traffic I take backroads and I love to how certain plants non-native plants are predominant in some areas but totally absent from others. You see it with Mimosas, Red Yuccas, Sago, Italian Cypresses, and those purple shrubs shaped like irises whose name escapes me at the moment.

But what's cool about the phenomenon is that it speaks to neighborliness. I like to imagine somebody drives by, sees what a neighbor has planted and says, "Hey, that's cool. Can I have some?"

I guess once long ago - maybe in the '30s, maybe in the 1860s - somebody planted a crepe myrtle and all the neighbors said, "Wow! I want one of those."

And then maybe there came a time when it became a requisite. "Have you called all the utilities? Have you enrolled the kids? Have you planted a crepe myrtle?"

Maybe it was once even a way to welcome new neighbors. "Hi, I'm Doug. This is my wife, Sara. Here's a platter of chocolate chip cookies and here's a CREPE MYRTLE! Welcome to the neighborhood."

Old 07-10-2015, 08:08 AM

45,350 posts, read 60,534,984 times
I had never seen a crepe myrtle (or if I had I hadn't noticed them) until we moved to Maryland over 30 years ago, nor had Mrs. NBP. And I had spent a fair amount of time in the South off and on.

It was the first thing she made me plant when we bought our house.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I had never seen a crepe myrtle (or if I had I hadn't noticed them) until we moved to Maryland over 30 years ago, nor had Mrs. NBP. And I had spent a fair amount of time in the South off and on.

It was the first thing she made me plant when we bought our house.
I am originally from the eastern shore and don't remember seeing Crepe Myrtles back home. At least not enough to pay attention too.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooky hornstein View Post
You see it with Mimosas,[/i]

I am surprised by the amount of mimosa's here considering how disease prone they are.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:47 AM

45,350 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlan1 View Post
I am originally from the eastern shore and don't remember seeing Crepe Myrtles back home. At least not enough to pay attention too.
I've sort of noticed that over there. I'm in Southern MD so that may be why they're so prevalent here, a tad different climate.

There are a few I've seen with trunks a couple feet in diameter so they've been in awhile.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:47 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,885,004 times
Crepe Myrtles are one of the few flowering plants in the summer and they love the heat. They are a natural in this climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin