Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2015, 03:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,029 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move to austin with a kid (3 yrs old) and we prefer to stay where the schools are good and there is Indian community, could you please let me know areas/cities around Austin. My husband would be working in downtown Austin, he can take public transport or drive that is not a problem, to start with we prefer to stay in apartment complex where there are many indian families and schools are good. Appreciate your input, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 08:33 AM

55 posts, read 170,683 times
If you are looking for an area with a large concentration of Indian families, it does not really exist as Austin is not that diverse. If you also search the board and search Austin and Indian Community, I believe this question has been addressed before. Most likely they will be North of the city. After living in Austin For 3 years, I do meet more people of Indian descent when I am shopping up north. Still, it is not the same as living in Jackson Heights, New York City which I would call a real Indian community and such is my frame of reference.

And since you have a 3 year old, my assumption is that your child is not of school age yet so schools should not be a big issue at this point. You said you will also be renting; there are lot of nice apartments up north and I'm sure you would be able to meet some Indian families that may be living in them. Another consideration also is for your husband to be somewhere where the commute is not bad because traffic in Austin is one of the worst I've seen and I came from NYC.

Good luck with your search.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:04 AM

198 posts, read 318,368 times
Avery Ranch and in general NW tend to have a higher Indian mix in the subdivisions.

Are you trying to rent or buy? What is your budget and sq ft needs?

The closest station in NW would likely be the LakeLine station. The rest are near the domain or central.south austin. Up north is the Leander station, but I figure that may be too far. Round Rock does not have the public transportation routes you may be looking for.

Make sure your husband works really close to the downtown station if you are going to commute that way. It's not as great as what you may be used in bigger cities.

Are you thinking about sending your child to pre-school?

Old 07-13-2015, 10:53 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,735,982 times
In Austin, Indians mostly live in the following areas:

Northwest Austin: Mostly between Hwy 183 [West] and Mopac (Loop 1) [East] highways and FM 620 Rd [North].

North Austin: Mostly between Hwy 183 (Research Blvd.) [South] and Wells Branch Blvd [North].

South Austin: Mostly between Ben White Blvd [North] and Slaughter Ln [South].

Many of restaurants and retail stores which cater to desi families are in these areas as well! (as well as desi real estate agents). Please let us know what you decide! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin