Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 02:23 PM

389 posts, read 419,882 times

Advertisements

I have a feeling that several here are in the same boat. I'm originally from SETX, and my family has recently moved to Austin (via California... I know, not another one!.) We planned to do this 12 years ago, with only one kiddo not in school yet, and that would have just made life a lot easier! Life circumstances kept that from happening and then the housing market tanked. Long story short.... We have finally made the move 12 years later, two school aged kids, and a lot higher housing prices!

Anyway, our kids will be entering 5th & 8th grades. I know it has been recommended to start with looking at the HS and work down, but it's my 5th grader that has the most struggles. So the school we get her into is really important. (She already hates school, and I feel like we have an opportunity to turn that around with a new setting, and the right school environment. She also has a mild learning disability and an IEP)

I will possibly be working off of McNeil and Research Blvd. We've heard good things about McNeil(l) HS, but I've heard nothing about the elementary/MS feeding into this school. Looking at a couple of rentals around Jollyville Elementary.

Love Georgetown, but not sure we want to live that far out. Neighborhood we are looking at would be McCoy, Benold, Georgetown.

I keep thinking, something is going to click and all the other pieces will fall into place, but right now there are just so many "ifs" in the equation! Feel like Aug 25th is going to be here before we know it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 02:52 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,716,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spchtx View Post
Feel like Aug 25th is going to be here before we know it!
Not to rain on your parade, but school starts August 24th, not the 25th.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:06 PM

Just checked the RRISD website. Looks like the 24th is a staff development day, and the 25th is the first day of school.

Whew!!!

Looks like Georgetown starts the 24th. I will have to make sure I pay close attn if we go to a different district. I thought I had checked them all, and saw that the all started on the 25th. Thanks for the heads up on that. I would have felt like we were living an episode of "The Middle" if we missed the first day of school. :-)

Old 07-25-2015, 03:13 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,716,422 times
Then it seems RR is the only district starting late. Every other district I've checked for clients are all on the 24th. Lake Travis, Eanes, Austin, Leander...

Old 07-25-2015, 03:20 PM

Hey, that could be a criteria for me! Go with the district that has the latest start date! You know, because one more day off would make this decision so much easier. :-)

Old 07-26-2015, 11:57 PM

Pounded the pavement, and narrowed down neighborhoods/schools today.

Does anyone know of any new home developments that feed into Vista Ridge HS and Arty Henry MS?

Old 07-27-2015, 07:48 AM

74 posts, read 122,395 times
Look at the Leanderisd website under attendance boundaries. Just this month they moved the Vista ridge boundries substantially starting in the 2016/2107 school year.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:25 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,551,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spchtx View Post
Does anyone know of any new home developments that feed into Vista Ridge HS and Arty Henry MS?
Not much in the way of "new" home developments that feed into both of those. "The Reserve at Brushy Creek" might be the only one actually that is currently building. Note that this neighborhood is actually just WEST of Parmer off of Brushy Creek Road and is not right next to the other "Brushy Creek" neighborhoods. Don't confuse this with Ranch at Brushy Creek which feeds into Stiles for the middle school for its portion that's in Leander ISD, but I don't think any of the new home builds in there are on the Leander ISD side anyway.

The Reserve at Brushy Creek's New Homes in Round Rock, TX | MileStone

There just isn't a lot of new construction that will feed into Henry right now. You're going to pay a premium for a brand new home right now in that area. You have some great existing neighborhoods that feed into both Henry and VRHS like Creekview, Silver Oak, Forest Oaks, and Silverado Ranch.

And you'd have to look at the boundary lines, but there might still be some new homes in the ButterCup Creek area that feed into both Hentry/VRHS. Those are on the other side of 183/Bell though and are bit further away from the schools. The problem with getting further away is that when the boundary lines do change, the neighborhoods furthest away from the actual schools will most likely be the ones that could get zoned to a different school.

Last edited by mark311; 07-27-2015 at 08:50 AM..

Old 07-27-2015, 09:16 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,463,257 times
Hey mark, is that small new development just west of Bell on W. Park within the school boundaries they need? That's an interesting little set-up, but might be too far west(although it's a straight shot on Park to the schools). I haven't been by there in a few months...wonder how it's progressing.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:56 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,551,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Hey mark, is that small new development just west of Bell on W. Park within the school boundaries they need? That's an interesting little set-up, but might be too far west(although it's a straight shot on Park to the schools). I haven't been by there in a few months...wonder how it's progressing.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it still is (ParkWest Estates) and those are really nice, but those are sort of pricey (although pricey doesn't really mean what it used to around here) like the Reserve at Brushy Creek and I'd be a little more worried about the boundaries of Henry over the next couple years, but looking at the map now, the zone for Henry extends further West than I thought

Parkwest Estates - New Homes in Cedar Park, TX 78613 | Ryland Homes

They are going to be building some Brohn homes in-between Park and 1431 just East of 183A. But, those probably are still 18 months to a year from getting started.

Middle school zoning map for LISD (You'll notice people in the LISD portions of Avery Ranch and RaBC drive right by Henry on their way to Stiles up above 1431. That still makes no sense to me and something has to change with that at some point.)
http://www.leanderisd.org/users/0001...mapMS15-16.pdf

High School zoning map for LISD:
http://www.leanderisd.org/users/0001...mapHS15-16.pdf

High School zoning map for LISD (2016-2017):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzW...Rlk/view?pli=1

Last edited by mark311; 07-27-2015 at 10:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin