Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 02:12 PM

28 posts, read 41,026 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have visited Minneapolis, MN a few times since 2013...and she always says why can't Austin do what Minneapolis has: great efficient transportation and light rail system. And just think Minneapolis-st Paul has 3.5 million vs Austin metro 1.9 million. We are seriously considering a move to MSP over the next couple years from Austin. When on a Sunday at 11am we try to go to brunch in Austin and traffic is soon backed up on I-35, Mopac is HORRIBLE and 183 is not too far behind. We've been here 10 years...and I really like it here, but I've seen the quality of life in Austin deteriate: Traffic, and crime has increased
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 02:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I'm downright fretful and nervous driving through town. People seem so angry and impatient with drivers who attempt to maintain the legal speed limit (or even slightly over). People fly through parking lots at unsafe speed, weave in and out of lanes, and constantly pull out into traffic without any attempt to get up to speed as cars either lock up their brakes or whiz around them to avoid a collision. No sooner do I get out of Austin and out toward Johnson City though and I notice an immediate change to more friendly and calm driving.

I won't cast blame on any one thing or demographic of people who seem to offend more than others because I simply can't. It's across the board in every way. There's a frightening driving culture here that is growing worse every day.
Overcrowding leads to stress and aggressive behavior.
You see it in almost every big city.

Old 07-26-2015, 02:49 PM

174 posts, read 311,869 times
Well, I grew up driving in the LA metro and Orange County areas so my introduction to driving involved some pretty terrible traffic. I used to have a 30 mile commute when I was 19 years old to and from work every day (poor full-time college student working full time as well while taking night classes at a local CC) and I'm not joking you I spent 2 hours EACH WAY driving to and from work. I was up at 515am every day and out the door no later than 6am or I would be late for work. I had a pretty strict office environment so we weren't allowed to leave even a minute before 5 so I hit the traffic at its worst time. I also had a manual transmission. I then went on to school in Boston and Iowa where I loved the public transit systems of the NE and obviously Iowa had pretty much zero traffic issues other than big rig trucks using the fast lane to pass a slower truck (2 lane each side highways).

Then there was the move to Austin. I'll admit I wasn't too bothered initially (but I also didnt do I35 through downtown at rush hour) but my significant other who grew up in the midwest is consistently having mini heart attacks dealing with the horrible traffic. Traffic in CA is worse... during rush hours... but I feel that traffic in Austin is basically a constant presence no matter what the time and that's a huge issue. The infrastructure in place was just not meant to handle the amount of people and cars on the road. Worse yet there is no real public transportation set up that offers a viable option for commuters. My s/o begins works off of 360 and bee caves basically. If he leaves before 905am he will be stuck in traffic for 45 minutes for the 5 mile commute whereas if he leaves at 915 it takes him approximately 15 minutes. He now leaves work at 730pm just because he hates traffic so much.

The traffic bothers me, but what bothers me worse is how people drive here. They do not understand merge lanes, turn signals or basic common driving courtesy. I have to turn left into my complex and when traffic gets backed up i frequently have to wait up to 5 minutes just for someone to pause (while stopped at a red light!!) to allow me to take a left turn to go home. Do not block intersections!! People seem too busy on their cell phones to be paying attention while stopped or slowing. My favorite is the people that see a lane is ending and instead of merging properly wait until the last possible minute and then cut in, causing a bottle neck.

The traffic is one of the biggest detriments to Austin, it makes us want to leave because even though we live just 6 miles from downtown its a hassle to get there. I just don't see any solutions to alleviate the congestion (at least no solutions that aren't insanely expensive or a 10 year wait for completion). It's bad situation and I truly feel for those that are stuck in that gridlock daily (I only deal with it 3x a week). When my friends complain about the traffic here I just suggest that they find a good daily podcast and get caught up on current topics or find something that interests them that they can listen to... it helps.

Old 07-26-2015, 04:44 PM

319 posts, read 346,246 times
But nobody mentions that our terrible traffic is worth it, because otherwise a few salamanders would have died.. Gotta keep our priorities straight. Praise SOS. Praise Sierra Club.

Old 07-26-2015, 04:50 PM

64 posts, read 60,849 times
Oh, how I pine for the days when Austin was just a sleepy college town. If only we could turn back the clock by 30 years or even 20 years. Heck, I'd be happy with 15 years turned back. I see so many out of state license plates, I just have to roll my eyes. I don't get it. How can so many people talk up a city so much and so many people believe the hype? I'm just waiting for the next "It" city so the Austin hype can finally move away with it. Until then, they'll keep on coming and clogging up our roads. Until then, keep your cool on the road as it's only going to get worse before it gets better.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:44 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,080 times
After thirty years here, we're headed to a smaller, saner place and can hardly wait. You can have what Austin has become.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:23 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Started complaining about Austin traffic when I got my license in 1961.

Every day since then.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:28 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,362 times
I don't have much problem getting places, with the caveat that my world has become smaller due to traffic congestion and aggressive drivers. I don't think that's a large percentage of the population, but just a few can create accidents and undue stress. In my now somewhat limited travels, getting through Round Rock is the worst. Headed to Georgetown today, traffic was forced to drive 15 mph on 35 for several miles. No accident, just 15 mph. Even at that, someone almost rear ended me, tailgating me in the right lane, though all lanes were going that speed. The driver had to pull off on the shoulder to avoid a collision. Happens every time I head out that way. In town, the biggest slowdown is the almost assured probability of people running red lights.

Last edited by capcat; 07-26-2015 at 07:09 PM..

Old 07-26-2015, 09:19 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Well, north north Austin and Cedar Park have their bottlenecks; but nothing like the horror stories I hear from 'down South'. It's a big reason we live up here. Toll 45, 183A, Ronald Reagan, even as bad as 1431 CAN be, there is no real gridlock up here. Hang in there!!!

Old 07-26-2015, 09:55 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,360 times
We were stuck in i35 traffic today (near Rundberg) and see all these cop cars, crime scene techs etc. Turns out it was likely a road rage incident and the driver was shot. There are some real nut jobs out there.

Glad I work from home. For anyone thinking of moving here, you will lose it over a long commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin