Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 02:32 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,262,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Yep. Can't recall the last time I drove by/through a speed trap here...was thinking this yesterday on 51st (near HEB Mueller) where people are doing like 50+. Just crazy.
You must not drive on Mopac between 35th and Anderson much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 03:08 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,201,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
My traffic experience in the SF Bay Area was simply too many cars on the road, not angry, aggressive driving. I commuted 100-plus miles some days and traffic backups drove me crazy but I didn't experience the "move out of my way or I'll run you off the road with my Ford King Ranch Quad Cab monster truck" aggression but on very rare occasion. Even my native Austinite hubby remarked that too many cars on the road was what he noted while there for three years - not mean people behind the wheel. Things felt different here to him when he returned to Austin. Everyone has a different opinion of this, but for me, the anger and aggression of the drivers here has been the biggest eye-opener.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHolt View Post
Yes, I've seen this a few times and experienced it firsthand a time or 2 as well. Normally with a monster pickup getting upset about something, accelerating and cutting in front of the other vehicle, and then slamming on the brakes. Makes you wonder what people are doing to risk incurring or causing bodily harm like that.
Yes. These people are utter headshakers. All men, most older than I would expect, even embarrassingly so. I lost count how many times a super, extra, heavy duty truck tailed my bumper by inches — in the middle lane -- when I was going 79 mph with a car right in front of me.

It's always the guy driving the penis extender.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:14 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,786,265 times
^ In my experience, it's people who drive small cars. That's how it's been in the city, and on the highways. For me, anyway.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:41 PM

12,917 posts, read 13,254,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Yes. These people are utter headshakers. All men, most older than I would expect, even embarrassingly so. I lost count how many times a super, extra, heavy duty truck tailed my bumper by inches — in the middle lane -- when I was going 79 mph with a car right in front of me.

It's always the guy driving the penis extender.
I've seen a few of those yayhoos but the worst are soccer moms in their Honda minivans - on the neighborhood streets or on a highway.

Made the mistake of riding shotgun with my SIL a few decades ago. I think my feet bent the firewall out a few inches while we went up I-35 - she tailgated so close I could almost read the dash instruments of the car in front of us. Got a few extra gray hairs too. That was the only & last time.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:30 PM

997 posts, read 1,308,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
You must not drive on Mopac between 35th and Anderson much.
Nope, too much traffic over there.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:10 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,786,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I've seen a few of those yayhoos but the worst are soccer moms in their Honda minivans - on the neighborhood streets or on a highway.

Made the mistake of riding shotgun with my SIL a few decades ago. I think my feet bent the firewall out a few inches while we went up I-35 - she tailgated so close I could almost read the dash instruments of the car in front of us. Got a few extra gray hairs too. That was the only & last time.
You mentioned the make that I didn't want to. . Mainly because I didn't want to stereotype, however, also because I almost bought a Honda. But, dang. Why is that so consistent? I know it's not as gratifying or accepted as singling out the big trucks, but calling it like I see it is a different story.

Last edited by capcat; 07-28-2015 at 10:18 PM..

Old 07-28-2015, 10:51 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,503,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
You mentioned the make that I didn't want to. . Mainly because I didn't want to stereotype, however, also because I almost bought a Honda. But, dang. Why is that so consistent? I know it's not as gratifying or accepted as singling out the big trucks, but calling it like I see it is a different story.
More the Toyota Sienna and Honda Pilot around here

Old 07-28-2015, 10:54 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,262,830 times
I don't drive slow, and I've had my share of rear view mirror filling p/us. So that is one form of aggressive driver, especially noticeable if it aligns with your eco-self righteousness. Then there is the tuner rice rocket lane darter aggressiveness - just as prevalent, just as dangerous, maybe a notch or two down the intimidation scale. Finally, there is the oblivious Odyssey - containing every distraction known to man, hurtling down Mopac at 75.

Lucky us. We got 'em all. Jammed onto roadways that haven't kept pace with the population growth.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:33 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,820,785 times
Quote:
hurtling down Mopac at 75.
Or at 57 in a 65!

Old 07-29-2015, 07:58 AM

12,917 posts, read 13,254,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
I don't drive slow, and I've had my share of rear view mirror filling p/us. So that is one form of aggressive driver, especially noticeable if it aligns with your eco-self righteousness. Then there is the tuner rice rocket lane darter aggressiveness - just as prevalent, just as dangerous, maybe a notch or two down the intimidation scale. Finally, there is the oblivious Odyssey - containing every distraction known to man, hurtling down Mopac at 75.

Lucky us. We got 'em all. Jammed onto roadways that haven't kept pace with the population growth.
Well, I bet we won't see a lot of those big "rams" filling our rearview mirrors in the future.

I drive the speed limit on neighborhood streets, or under if kids are out - and that's any 'hood, not just my own. Thoroughfare streets I'll drive 5mph over if the law ain't around, and 5-10 over on Interstates. Will move over for those who are suicidal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin