U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 03:34 PM

2,071 posts, read 3,722,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
I recently went to Lucky Dog and I was not impressed... of course, I have only visited Chicago a few times, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about... but I found Lucky Dog to be sub par quality and over-priced.
If you are not from Chicago, I don't expect you to be impressed by Lucky Dog. I grew up in Chicago and Lucky Dog is pretty authentic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 03:35 PM

2,071 posts, read 3,722,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Just to set the record straight...

Chicago-style pizza is NOT by nature thin crust. It's deep-dish, as introduced by the creators at Uno's/Due's locations on East Ohio and North Wabash. I've also come to emrace Ginos, but do prefer the sausage and cheese at Uno's original location.

Thin-crust is akin to NYC-style, also cooked 'Coney Island Style,' wherein the top and crust are well done (or burned a little, as I like it). Totonnos on Coney Island started this trend and carries it out to this very day in their three Manhattan locations.

Happy Eating

BN
I was born and raised in Chicago and we only ate thin crust pizza, cut in squares and little triangles. Deep dish ain't what Chicago is all about. My Dad grew up in the city and thin crust was what people ate.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:36 PM

18,970 posts, read 49,568,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
They even have Chicago style pizza, thin crust.
That wouldnt be Chicago style then.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:49 PM

3,226 posts, read 9,701,263 times
Quote:
If you are not from Chicago, I don't expect you to be impressed by Lucky Dog.
A few posts below mine gigi said she was also underwhelmed and said Lucky Dog was lacking.... I think she's from Chicago.

Anyway, doesn't matter to me. It looked good, we tried it, we were wrong, it was a waste... won't go back!

Old 03-28-2008, 06:41 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,959,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
I was born and raised in Chicago and we only ate thin crust pizza, cut in squares and little triangles. Deep dish ain't what Chicago is all about. My Dad grew up in the city and thin crust was what people ate.

Yeah, me too. Born in Printers Row and raised on the Gold Coast: I've been going to Uno's since I was 6 mo's old

Thin crust is NOT Chicago-style as an original convention. Take a look at WiKi and see that while thin-crust is a staple in the city, it was the invention of deep-dish in Chicago that put it on the map.

Chicago-style pizza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BN

Old 03-28-2008, 07:06 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,254,110 times
I am not sure about the beef sandwich, but check out Dominque's Pizza in Cedar Park (not sure how to spell it). They are from NY and they have the Italian accent to show it! The calizones and piZZZAuh is the BOMB!!

Old 03-29-2008, 01:58 PM

1,209 posts, read 4,447,851 times
Yeah, I am def. a Chicago native - lived there until IL was 29. I'd say I've eaten more than my fair share of Chicago hot dogs. And my dad owned and ran a pizza restaurant (south side - thin crust) for 20 years. So I feel like I've got some cred.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,592 times
If you're in Austin and are in need of a delicious Italian Beef run (or drive very fast ) to Chris ' Little Chicago for an authentic sandwich. He tops it with sweet peppers or hot gardinere or a combination of both The red trailer is at 3600 S. Lamar on the North side of the street. He also does Italian Sausage (try the combo) and Maxwell Street Polish and the authentic dog. Your taste buds will be wowed!!!!

Old 04-21-2009, 01:12 PM

73 posts, read 106,913 times
I second the rec for Chris's Little Chicago. And yes, it's in a trailer.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:54 PM

4,063 posts, read 4,982,993 times
I third the suggestion for Chris' Little Chicago for both dogs and beef sandwiches. I'm not a Chicago native but I make sure to hit up the Weiner's Circle whenever I am up there, as well as Gene and Jude's if I make it out to the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin