Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 09:06 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,507,435 times

Advertisements

There are a half-dozen (or more) folks who regularly respond to requests for pet-visits just in Avery Ranch(one person has been doing it for a few years in this area). We did that for two years(for a company that covers a wide area) and put more miles on the cars visiting pets than we did with all of our other driving. You can try to concentrate only in one area; but many referrals come from existing clients who have friends living 'all over'. It's pretty tough if you don't have a back-up partner since much of the business is at the same time of the day...morning, lunch, early eve, late eve...and your clients might be 1/2 hour apart in drive time.

IF I were to try to make a go of it, I'd have to concentrate on a small geographic area(Avery Ranch is 4000 homes, BTW) and would need a partner. Not sure what it takes to get a business license and insurance(since we were covered under the company policy...$1 million coverage on each of us); but that is something to consider since you are moving into a new market.

Fairly tough(but rewarding) way to make a living in Austin. There are some really BIG dogs out there!!! We had one family with almost 400# of labs...only three of them! Two different families had TWO Great Danes each! It's an interesting gig, that's for sure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 09:24 AM

149 posts, read 149,022 times
My original question I'm afraid is getting lost, which is, is it doable to have a biz in Austin that is outdoors year round? Will I be beyond miserable in that kind of heat? Wanted to hear about this from some locals.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:12 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,563,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcginty74 View Post
My original question I'm afraid is getting lost, which is, is it doable to have a biz in Austin that is outdoors year round? Will I be beyond miserable in that kind of heat? Wanted to hear about this from some locals.
So, yes, I've lived here for the past 10 years and this summer wasn't that bad at all. However, a couple years ago, it was 100 degrees every day for 3 months straight during the summer. We get our high of the day here in the Austin area at around 4pm or so. This is different than San Diego for example where it already starts cooling down after 1pm most of the time. So, it's still super hot all the way up until it gets dark out in Austin during the summer, and then it's just hot. It might still be tolerable up until about 11am on most summer days from what I've seen.

It's a tough question to answer because it depends on your heat tolerance. Yes, it's possible, but walking around outside for an extended period of time at 4pm isn't fun in the middle of August. At 9am it's not bad and at 7pm, it's not bad. But then again, my HVAC guy had to hang out in my attic where it was 135 degrees the other day and he survives. He just drinks a lot of water. It can be done, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're someone who hates the heat. And you wouldn't want a dog to be in an unshaded area too long at 3pm either in my opinion (again depends on the dog).

Old 08-28-2015, 01:35 PM

361 posts, read 1,161,904 times
I'm outside all summer with my kids and play some tennis in heat too. Not super comfortable but very doable. When I walk my dog, I see tons of people walking theirs too. I'm sure San Diego would be more pleasant weather-wise but there are other trade-offs you are undoubtedly considering.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:58 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,843,698 times
I would prefer the heat of Austin over the cold and snow of Boston for dog walking, but of course San Diego's weather is perfect for dog walking.

The thing is, does the extra cost of living in SD justify the weather. I don't think so. I'd rather be able to live more comfortably and be hot for the 30 minute walks or whatever you do. I assume you aren't walking the whole time, but taking the dog out, then hydrating the dog and putting them back inside.

As far as your business model, ignore the people that say it won't work. You didn't ask for business advice. I think you'll do fine here, people are obsessed with their dogs here, I think you'll have great business.

Old 08-28-2015, 04:47 PM

743 posts, read 1,366,916 times
Quote:
You may well have a real adjustment to the heat. Most people do if moving from a more moderate summer climate.

Separately, speaking as a dog owner who walks our dog at least 2 and often 3 times a day....I continue to walk my dog during the summer but I adjust the hours. We go out very early and again later in the day, when the sun is not high in the sky. Better yet, we love walking early in the morning or at dusk. It's more comfortable then, for both of us.

So, if you can structure your business to do the walking early and late in the day, it would still work. Dogs still need to be exercised, heat or not!

Old 08-28-2015, 11:38 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,067,679 times
I didn't know this post focused around dog walking!! I know many people who run successful pet sitting businesses, some with substantial dog walking businesses. Most cannot support themselves solely through the pet business, for some it is a sideline, for some it is the major part of their income which they then supplement with other work.

Anyway, you can't walk dogs in Austin in summer in the heat of the day. Dog walkers start super early, sometimes walking the dogs before the client has even left for work. You have to see all your clients before noon. Definitely no walking between 2-5 pm. Pugs and smashed faced dogs can't really handle Austin heat at all and Austin can be dangerous for these dogs. You can incorporate water play, (pools, hoses, lake) and walking on trails or take clients to indoor dog park type facilities (Zoom Room). Evenings can still be plenty hot. I walk my personal dog between 9-10 pm all summer and it is always still over 90. And our summers are long.

Every pet sitter I know spends hours battling Austin traffic to get from client to client, and that can take a toll. I worry about your ability to adjust to the Austin heat. It can be a real force. Almost like winter up north. I love it and lean into it just like some people love winter but it is not for everyone.

We had a neighbor with a French bulldog. He had lived in Atlanta and thought he could handle the heat in Texas. He could just not get over how it doesn't cool down at night here and how long the summer are. He left after one summer.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:00 AM

132 posts, read 231,201 times
Walk dogs from 7:30am-9:45 am and from 7pm-9pm on the hottest days of the year...

Old 08-29-2015, 02:07 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,507,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by menono View Post
Walk dogs from 7:30am-9:45 am and from 7pm-9pm on the hottest days of the year...
Not if the client wants a mid-day visit because they are stuck at work and/or in traffic all day. We had PLENTY of mid-day visits/walks. It's not really up to the 'walker' but to the 'walkee'

Old 08-31-2015, 03:27 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,695,172 times
Quote:
My first choice is still Austin, but I'm getting cold feet because of what I do for work. Is it absolutely insane for someone to think they can work outdoors year round in Austin? What say you?
Yes, you can work outside year round in Austin. Lots of people do it. People do walk their dogs during the heat.

The weather in SD is MUCH better than Austin, so if weather is your #1 criteria, go there.

I love to visit SD but would never live there because it's so crowded and CA has astronomically high living costs. For example, I just got back from a vacation in CA and paid $3.70 to $4.80 per gallon for premium. That's double what it is here in Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin