Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 10:32 PM

5 posts, read 5,674 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

It looks like I'm going to receive a job offer in Austin and will be relocating. I was curious who internet providers are down there and if they offer high speed or fiber optic. Also, any ideas what a good speed internet subscription costs per month?

I will most likely be moving down before my wife and daughter and internet is one of the things I'd like to get set up as soon as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 07:34 AM

912 posts, read 1,277,608 times
Time Warner
ATT
Grande
Google Fiber

The first two are available almost everywhere, but the speeds and quality are highly variable. Grande is local but only available in some parts of town. Google fiber is currently very limited but is supposed to roll out everywhere within city limits eventually.

Prices depend on what package you select, your ability to negotiate, and the phase of the moon when you call. Good luck.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:55 PM

73 posts, read 89,298 times
As already identified, those 4 are the main options here.

Time Warner Cable, in my opinion, is absolute garbage. They're the worst cable/phone/internet provider I've ever had to utilize. Their DVR boxes constantly fail to record, and I find myself exchanging their hardware at least 2 or 3 times a year. On the plus side, they recently upped their internet speeds drastically, and the new modems they are giving out are much better.

Advice: if you go with Time Warner and you know your move-in date, book your installation appointment AS FAR AHEAD AS POSSIBLE. It took them 6 weeks just to move my service from my apartment to my house.

ATT - a bit better than TWC, but their internet speeds are much slower.

Grande - I have no experience with them whatsoever. They are more prevalent in San Antonio, San Marcos and areas further south of Austin. I believe they are number 1 in "the valley".

Google Fiber - Very limited availability - only in certain neighborhoods of Austin proper. The further you are from downtown Austin, the less availability there will be. If you are in Austin suburbs forget it - I'm in Round Rock, and when I spoke to a sales rep on the phone, they estimated it wouldn't be available in our area for another 8 - 12 years, if ever. It's still in the "trial" phase, and they're trying out the Austin market. I was told by the sales rep that suburban areas are less likely to see the service unless they manage to nail "significant numbers" in Austin. When I asked what that projection would be, he told me that by current estimates, Google Fiber would need to provide service to at least 50% of private residents and businesses in Austin. They will not consider suburban expansion otherwise.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:21 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,946,559 times
Att regular non fiber internet is garbage out here . They force you to rent their equipment and charge premium prices for slow internet .

Time warner internet is way better . I also own my own modem and it saves me
Money every month .

Old 09-01-2015, 05:39 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,769,075 times
Time Warner's internet is not that bad... We get 300+ down/20 up and it rarely goes down... Their cable TV prices are too high.. Oh and we pay $65 a month for internet only...

Old 09-01-2015, 08:41 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,021,625 times
To the best of my knowledge no one in Austin has Google fiber up and running. No one. I'm in the second bunch of "fiber hoods" and have even suffered through five weeks of unbelievable noise and hassle as the GF infrastructure was laid down on my street. Actual installation to the house will happen "someday" but not soon. I don't think I'll have it before 2016. Uverse has been fine. We might up to gigapower w ATT. At this rate it would take a century before RR sees Google Fiber.

Last edited by centralaustinite; 09-01-2015 at 09:59 PM..

Old 09-01-2015, 09:55 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,628,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoe83 View Post
As already identified, those 4 are the main options here.

Time Warner Cable, in my opinion, is absolute garbage. They're the worst cable/phone/internet provider I've ever had to utilize. Their DVR boxes constantly fail to record, and I find myself exchanging their hardware at least 2 or 3 times a year. On the plus side, they recently upped their internet speeds drastically, and the new modems they are giving out are much better.
I've had TWC for several years. It almost never goes down and is very fast. I never have to exchange their equipment since I have my own modem and router.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:52 PM

743 posts, read 1,360,327 times
I've had a good experience with Time Warner. Not perfect, but mostly reliable, and the one time it went out last year, we had a quick response in getting it fixed. Agree that TV cable prices are high (but can't find many better deals except for temporary promotions).

YMMV

Old 09-02-2015, 09:22 AM

5,848 posts, read 11,843,637 times
We had TWC in our previous home SW and never had an outage. Then we moved NW into an older neighborhood and it goes down a lot. When I call to report it, they tell me to go exchange my modem - I've had 5 modems in the last 2 years. (Hint: it's not the modem). So, TWC is one of those things that when it's good it's very good and when it's bad it's terrible!

Old 09-02-2015, 09:24 AM

363 posts, read 984,900 times
Pretty much every subdivision built in the past 8 years or so in the RR, Pflugerville, Leander, and Cedar Park areas will have AT&T Gigapower. Not sure of South Austin areas because I try no to go south of Parmer Ln.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin