Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 10:11 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,207,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
But being halfway between IH35 and Ronald Reagan is no more living "IN" Georgetown than my living in Avery Ranch is "IN" Austin(even though it IS in Austin).
Actually, halfway between I35 and Ronald Reagan IS living in Georgetown, attending GISD, etc. That's only about 3 miles or so to the local grocery store (was driving clients from one of the subdivisions on Ronald Reagan right near 29 to Georgetown and we were checking the distance/time) and major shopping (Wolf Ranch with all the big box stores your little heart could desire). Another five minutes (in heavy traffic) and you're at the courthouse square.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 12:14 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,459,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Actually, halfway between I35 and Ronald Reagan IS living in Georgetown, attending GISD, etc. That's only about 3 miles or so to the local grocery store (was driving clients from one of the subdivisions on Ronald Reagan right near 29 to Georgetown and we were checking the distance/time) and major shopping (Wolf Ranch with all the big box stores your little heart could desire). Another five minutes (in heavy traffic) and you're at the courthouse square.
Until you cross IH35, there is NOTHING resembling the "Georgetown" that folks describe when they talk about the square, the old quaint homes, the small town feel...certainly not Wolf Ranch and not a random grocery store. Surely you agree that those things are not what folks are talking about when they imagine the charm of Georgetown. That location is actually outside of the city limits, even though it may fall into the ETJ and ISD(and we know how 'definitive' the ISD boundaries are...not).

Old 09-12-2015, 10:18 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,207,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Until you cross IH35, there is NOTHING resembling the "Georgetown" that folks describe when they talk about the square, the old quaint homes, the small town feel...certainly not Wolf Ranch and not a random grocery store. Surely you agree that those things are not what folks are talking about when they imagine the charm of Georgetown. That location is actually outside of the city limits, even though it may fall into the ETJ and ISD(and we know how 'definitive' the ISD boundaries are...not).
I agree that Wolf Ranch does not reflect small town Georgetown, but there's a LOT of Georgetown west of I35 that reflects that charm and is just as much a part of it as what is east of I35. Georgetown, like many originally rural communities, is spread out more than just "downtown" - that is part of the charm of such communities, as well. As for "random grocery store", the location described (I'm not sure exactly which subdivision the OP is referencing, though it's probably one of three or four out that way based on the location description, from newish to been here since before Georgetown was cool) is within minutes of two very different HEB's - I shop both depending on what I'm cooking because as you know, HEB tailors its stores to its market and has different items available because of that, but I don't know which one the OP would prefer.

The courthouse square with all the charm you could possibly want is, as I said, five minutes from the original Georgetown HEB and Wolf Ranch.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin