Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 8,354 times

Advertisements

I am building a home with Standard Pacific due to be finished in April. We have put down some deposits and such but won't actually close on the house till it's complete. A good source informed us that Standard Pacific is planning on claiming bankrupcy- how will this affect us and our home purchase. Should we continue on or back out and explore other options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 11:09 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,557 times
I think you need to speak to your lawyer!

You would have no warranty and who knows what kinda house they build you
Probably not one of their finest.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:11 AM

233 posts, read 1,046,164 times
This is a tricky situation. If your earnest money is in a third party escrow account, you are relatively safe. If SP has your money, you are at the bottom of the list of creditors as an unsecured creditor. Your best bet would be to consult with a real estate attorney who could help you understand the situation clearly and figure out your best move from there. I would do this sooner rather than later.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:31 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
Several builders will be filing bankruptcy soon. Not because of anything terrible in the Austin market, but due to national problems.

I agree, call a real estate attorney.

Steve

Old 01-29-2008, 04:14 PM

2 posts, read 20,429 times
Steve,

Do you mean in general or do you have inside information on which ones are going bankrupt?

Old 01-29-2008, 04:55 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm29 View Post
I am building a home with Standard Pacific due to be finished in April. We have put down some deposits and such but won't actually close on the house till it's complete. A good source informed us that Standard Pacific is planning on claiming bankrupcy- how will this affect us and our home purchase. Should we continue on or back out and explore other options?
My wife works for a local homebuilder in Fort Worth and told me the same thing but she could not remember where she heard it. I think a lot of the larger homebuilders are really suffering right now. I know Standard Pacific is selling a lot of the lots off in CA but I had never heard anything about a BK. That is a tough position to be in, good luck and definitely seek legal advice.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:29 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Several builders will be filing bankruptcy soon. Not because of anything terrible in the Austin market, but due to national problems.

I agree, call a real estate attorney.

Steve
Steve, do you have a website that shows which ones might be? It would be good to know. Thanks.

Last edited by ITChick; 01-29-2008 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: Article was too old. :(

Old 01-29-2008, 05:51 PM

306 posts, read 1,136,566 times
Default Centex may be heading to bankruptcy too.

Anyone see their last quarter results?

A loss of 975 million? This is on top of a loss of 500+ million in the quarter before that.

Holy moly..and the market isn't going to improve for at least another year.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
But if you do a google..it's still rumor. They did not file. And I think there will be more filings in the coming months.
Homebuilding had slowed to a crawl by me (5 new subdivisions popped up since last summer).

Old 01-29-2008, 08:19 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastz28 View Post
Steve,

Do you mean in general or do you have inside information on which ones are going bankrupt?
I was in an Economic Outlook seminar today with a real estate economist and he told us that several of the larger builders are in trouble. I'd rather not drop names.

The smaller regional and niche builders are in better shape because they don't have the national exposure dragging their books down. One example given of stable builder was Portrait Homes, who has been in Austin less than a year and who builds entry level no frills townhome products for a certain niche buyer segment (70% of their buyers are female). They know their market very well and are very careful, according to the economist we heard.

It's the big national builders who have a hard time responding quickly to market conditions. Probably what we'll end up with a year from now is a shortage of new home product as we are heading into an over-correction.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin