Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 06:46 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,278,452 times

Advertisements

I agree with the rest of the posters. There is no shortage of things to do here for kids, but the one thing that is really lacking is the museum end of things. But, I come from Chicago where the museums are world class, so my comparison is a bit skewed. We've lived here for coming up on 2 years and we have barely scratched the surface of things to do in this town and within a 4 hour drive of here. We have too much fun letting our kids play on the playscapes at Central Market or Waterloo, going to Zilker or doing things in our neighborhood!

The heat, bugs or Mopac are not enough of a consideration to rule out living here. Everything is relative and I feel for families, the benefits of Austin far outweigh any negatives!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 07:06 PM

959 posts, read 4,492,274 times
Thanks guys Then I guess I'll say keep your fingers crossed for my hubby. He interviewed today As a side benefit, my family is all in Texas.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:58 AM

233 posts, read 1,045,951 times
Quote:
As for negatives I haven't read anything that would affect our family life. From what I've read the area has quality schools and is very safe relative to other cities its size. Just things like it's hot, lots of traffic on MOPAC, bugs, not enough to do (I assume for those coming from larger cities).
As for the negatives, it is hot but hot in a way where it still feels good to be outside especially when you are in or around the water. Barton Springs can temper even the hottest Austin day. As for bugs, it is not really an issue compared to humid east Texas (where there's so many bugs the spiders have to buy freezers to keep all they catch!). Austin seems to be at a sweet spot climate wise between dryness and humidity (also the sweet spot between country and western, big city amenities and small town problems). Where ever you live, traffic is not really an issue on the weekdays or weekends outside of commute hours.

If you really look around you will find no shortage of things to do and see. If you set a goal of trying one new thing a weekend for a year, the combination of events and attractions could easily take you through the year without having to repeat anything. Some things you will only do once (Innerspace Cave), some you will do often (Round Rock Express Baseball - very kid and wallet friendly) and some you will do every time someone who has heard about Austin comes to visit you from out of town (Bats!).

For the times that you need that Real Big City Fix, San Antonio (Riverwalk, Sea World, Six Flags) is a nice day trip and Houston (Museums, Johnson Space Center, Kemah), and DFW (museums, events) are decent affordable weekend excursions.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 01-31-2008 at 12:31 PM..

Old 01-31-2008, 12:28 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,185,599 times
I think it's a great place to raise a family...

All the negative things are probably the same things you'd find in other cities too. The research triangle area was one of the places we considered but we liked Austin better. I really love the live music aspect of Austin -- one of my favorite things I did when I was visiting was to walk around in Central Market and then get some dinner at the cafe and sit outside listening to the band while watching kids tear around yelling and screaming, having a blast. It was so nice just hanging out soaking up the atmosphere and enjoying a glass of wine.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:15 PM

4 posts, read 10,346 times
Default About the Bugs

I am thinking about moving to Austin from Los Angeles, and I really don't like bugs (there are hardly any here). Are the bugs in your home, or when you go outside? I don't mind bugs in their natural environment but not in mine

Thanks.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:38 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Default about the bugs...

Scorpions, Tarantulas, Snakes, Oh-My
Check out the above link to a discussion in this forum about bugs and such. I am not trying to discourage you but to be honest, they are what drove me out when we moved away. It has been long enough now, that I've forgotten my bug fears and we are planning a move back.

There's just no such thing as a perfect place I suppose.

(BTW, we found 40 scorpions in our house in an eight month time frame but I understand that was unusual. Most of our neighbors found maybe 2-3 and the neighborhood was under heavy construction)

Old 06-03-2008, 02:34 PM

746 posts, read 3,726,767 times
I think it depends on what part of Austin metro you live in as well. Most middle-class families would prefer to live in Georgetown, Cedar Park, Round Rock, and such, or the outer fringes of the city, such as the north and NW, with the newer subdivisions and suburban-like atmosphere. The homes are far more affordable as well.
In Austin, you are really talking about two different worlds when you compare the new areas with the old central areas. The older areas from UT area
to south congress/travis heights, is more college-kid orientated, more active, FAR more singles orientated, and a bit more interesting and naughty, to say the least. Zilker Park is a great place to take the kids, but the northern suburbs are greatly lacking in comprehensive park systems, being more shopping mall orientated. I think many families tend to stick to the suburban fringes, but utilize the more fun and singles orientated central city after hours and on week-ends. Indeed, there are tons of fun things for the kids in central austin as well, and it is quite safe. That being said, the vast majority of families, particularly relocatees, move to the suburbs and outer austin fringes.
The only true drawback to Austin would be its relative lack of high-paying job opportunities. There are few corporate or financial jobs here, and a vast amount of service related occupations, though there is a fair share of tech(certainly not what they make it out to be though). After all is said and done, Austin is not the place for someone contemplating a high-powered career, but who needs one? You will likely make less, sometimes much less, than you would in other more metros, but the way of life is worth the sacrifice to many.

Simply put, Austin is a place where most will give up the rat race quest to aggradize themselves with riches, but, again, the way of life makes it worthwhile.
As so many say to people moving to Austin from other, higher-paying cities, "What are you willing to give UP to move to Austin"?

Last edited by scongress1234; 06-03-2008 at 02:49 PM..

Old 06-04-2008, 03:56 PM

2 posts, read 9,628 times
My husband and I relocated here from Maryland (eastern shore) one year ago with our three children (8,5 and 2). We absolutely love it! We feel the schools are wonderful and there are so many family fun activities. Great open spaces like Zilker Park. The Kite Festival is a lot of fun. Sea World is so close we get season passes and go on weekends. San Antonio River Walk is cool too. We actually live in Round Rock, I don't know if that's an option for you but the suburbs have many more family friendly activities with communities built with young families in mind. I'd say the only things we miss about the east coast is our families, of course, and the fall foliage.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:33 PM

746 posts, read 3,726,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtlMissEm View Post
My husband and I relocated here from Maryland (eastern shore) one year ago with our three children (8,5 and 2). We absolutely love it! We feel the schools are wonderful and there are so many family fun activities. Great open spaces like Zilker Park. The Kite Festival is a lot of fun. Sea World is so close we get season passes and go on weekends. San Antonio River Walk is cool too. We actually live in Round Rock, I don't know if that's an option for you but the suburbs have many more family friendly activities with communities built with young families in mind. I'd say the only things we miss about the east coast is our families, of course, and the fall foliage.
SHe's right....Austin really is a great place for kids too......actually, it has a childlike spirit about it in the first place, very playful and creative

Old 06-05-2008, 01:27 PM

675 posts, read 1,904,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scongress1234 View Post
I think it depends on what part of Austin metro you live in as well. Most middle-class families would prefer to live in Georgetown, Cedar Park, Round Rock, and such, or the outer fringes of the city, such as the north and NW, with the newer subdivisions and suburban-like atmosphere. The homes are far more affordable as well.
In Austin, you are really talking about two different worlds when you compare the new areas with the old central areas. The older areas from UT area
to south congress/travis heights, is more college-kid orientated, more active, FAR more singles orientated, and a bit more interesting and naughty, to say the least. Zilker Park is a great place to take the kids, but the northern suburbs are greatly lacking in comprehensive park systems, being more shopping mall orientated. I think many families tend to stick to the suburban fringes, but utilize the more fun and singles orientated central city after hours and on week-ends. Indeed, there are tons of fun things for the kids in central austin as well, and it is quite safe. That being said, the vast majority of families, particularly relocatees, move to the suburbs and outer austin fringes.
The only true drawback to Austin would be its relative lack of high-paying job opportunities. There are few corporate or financial jobs here, and a vast amount of service related occupations, though there is a fair share of tech(certainly not what they make it out to be though). After all is said and done, Austin is not the place for someone contemplating a high-powered career, but who needs one? You will likely make less, sometimes much less, than you would in other more metros, but the way of life is worth the sacrifice to many.

Simply put, Austin is a place where most will give up the rat race quest to aggradize themselves with riches, but, again, the way of life makes it worthwhile.
As so many say to people moving to Austin from other, higher-paying cities, "What are you willing to give UP to move to Austin"?
I think this is absolutely right. Although you left our the suburban southwest area of Austin, which in my opinion is great for families, has a lot of parks and green space, great schools, and is growing more quickly than the NW areas. The families who live in southwest do exactly what you say, they enjoy central Austin on the weekends. Central Austin is totally a fine place to have kids, but I agree about the "naughty" aspect and it becomes more questionable to raise kids in an area like, say, Hyde Park or Barton Hills, when the kids get older and can go outside and play on their own, ride their bike around, or when they get into Jr. High and High school. There are a lot of influences that you might find cool and interesting to live around when you're single or without kids, that you might worry a little bit about when your kids are old enough to notice them too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin