Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 06:22 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,075,516 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My g/f and I are looking to get a car (woohoo!) and am looking for either a good place to attend a car auction or an honest car dealership (if such things exist ). Mainly we are looking for a reliable Japanese car which isn't too old or doesn't look too beater-ish. Should I check the online classifieds, or just go shopping around at the various dealerships throughout the city? I plan on avoiding craigslist and am hoping to buy a car either at auction or a laid back dealership where you don't feel pressured and they're not on commission to try to jack up the price. I am still paying off some debt and don't want to splurge and get a new car and the accompanying more expensive insurance. What would my best options be on a used car which looks decent and is reliable? If the car isn't not too much (relatively), we'd pay cash or have installments which could be paid off quickly.

My G/F is going to school near UT and needs a car to get to and from school, since we aren't near any bus lines. Also, on that note, she is a foreign student who doesn't have a Texas driver license or SSN. Would her international driver license work here in TX? If no one knows the answer to this, I can contact the DMV/DPS tomorrow and ask them, no worries.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 11:44 PM

997 posts, read 1,311,653 times
We just bought a 07 Honda Element and it's neat little ride. Honda stopped making them. We almost bought one off of San Antonio CL, but then one showed on cars dot com at local (here) Chevy dealer as a trade-in.

Plenty of good cars on CL, just need to be patient and pick up the phone.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:32 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver303TJC View Post
Hi All,

My g/f and I are looking to get a car (woohoo!) and am looking for either a good place to attend a car auction or an honest car dealership (if such things exist ). Mainly we are looking for a reliable Japanese car which isn't too old or doesn't look too beater-ish. Should I check the online classifieds, or just go shopping around at the various dealerships throughout the city? I plan on avoiding craigslist and am hoping to buy a car either at auction or a laid back dealership where you don't feel pressured and they're not on commission to try to jack up the price. I am still paying off some debt and don't want to splurge and get a new car and the accompanying more expensive insurance. What would my best options be on a used car which looks decent and is reliable? If the car isn't not too much (relatively), we'd pay cash or have installments which could be paid off quickly.

My G/F is going to school near UT and needs a car to get to and from school, since we aren't near any bus lines. Also, on that note, she is a foreign student who doesn't have a Texas driver license or SSN. Would her international driver license work here in TX? If no one knows the answer to this, I can contact the DMV/DPS tomorrow and ask them, no worries.

Thanks again!
Buying a car at auction is very risky if you are not qualified to assess its mechanical condition. A used car salesman who is not paid commission is a rare bird indeed. That said, my shop has been referring people to a particular salesman at Howdy Honda for several years and have had NOT ONE SINGLE COMPLAINT. His name is Banks Miller. He is a mature person who is far more concerned with maintaining a reputation for being honest with you than pulling out all the stops and telling you anything to make a sale. The cars are pretty well screened and Banks cooperates 100% with the buyer's check process to the point where they will have a porter leave the car at the shop of your choice to be checked out. If a seller does NOT cooperate with the buyer's check process that means you should consider the buyer's check already performed for free: FAILED! A thorough buyer's check is next to impossible to do at the seller's location. Car should be put on a lift and checked out without time constraint. A reasonable charge is a little over $100. I have never had someone tell me they wish they hadn't had a buyer's check performed. I have had people seriously regret NOT having one done.

Don in Austin

Old 10-10-2015, 10:00 AM

Thanks JT and Don! :-)

Good point, I'll check out Cars.com and if Banks is a good car salesman dude, then I'd be willing to give him a chance when we go car shopping. I agree that you don't know what you'll get under the hood at auctions, so buyer beware. My G/F mentioned about buying a car with a CARFAX to ensure that it't not hiding a big mechanical problem. Thanks, I think it'd be smart to get an inspection done before buying, as well.

But, thanks again, I'll heed the advice and suggestions!

Old 10-10-2015, 03:22 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
Quote:
Thanks JT and Don! :-)

Good point, I'll check out Cars.com and if Banks is a good car salesman dude, then I'd be willing to give him a chance when we go car shopping. I agree that you don't know what you'll get under the hood at auctions, so buyer beware. My G/F mentioned about buying a car with a CARFAX to ensure that it't not hiding a big mechanical problem. Thanks, I think it'd be smart to get an inspection done before buying, as well.

But, thanks again, I'll heed the advice and suggestions!
Checking CARFAX is a good idea, but it ENSURES nothing. CARFAX guarantees to report everything, well..not quite... To report everything that gets reported to them. Say someone lets their comprehensive insurance lapse and rolls their car. It is such a mess that it ought to be totaled, but the brother-in-law says, "Hey we'll trailer it across the border and get the bodywork done CHEAP." CARFAX won't know about this.

People have liked Banks even when he flat out does not have the car for them.

Don in Austin

Old 10-10-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Checking CARFAX is a good idea, but it ENSURES nothing. CARFAX guarantees to report everything, well..not quite... To report everything that gets reported to them. Say someone lets their comprehensive insurance lapse and rolls their car. It is such a mess that it ought to be totaled, but the brother-in-law says, "Hey we'll trailer it across the border and get the bodywork done CHEAP." CARFAX won't know about this.

People have liked Banks even when he flat out does not have the car for them.

Don in Austin
Oh, right, thanks for the info about CARFAX.

Ok then, that's always a good sign, I'm always appreciate of a car salesman who is likable and honest!

Old 10-10-2015, 05:55 PM

912 posts, read 1,285,136 times
First Texas Honda now has fixed pricing and no commission, even on their used cars.

There's a guy on Burnet that doesn't do financing so you have to bring your own - it's a strange setup but it's one less thing to lose money on. Weinstein is his name I think.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:57 PM

Thanks! I'll keep those places in mind, too. Thanks again!

Old 10-11-2015, 07:24 AM

772 posts, read 1,059,490 times
Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks again!
Just to comment on the part above. Why would your g/f want to drive on her international license? Yes, your g/f can drive in TX for up to 90 days after entry into the state (not 90 days from getting the car) with her international license but since of the issues with that are 1) the car insurance is significantly higher for international license and 2) if she's ever stopped by cops, no guarantee that the cop would recognize her international license.Yes, probably okay after being delayed for a while but would you want that?

I'm assuming that she's legally in the country on a F1 or J1 visa? If so, i would suggest that she goes and gets a SSN and then a Texas D/L right after. You really can do this in a week or 2 i.e you can get your SSN in a week and can walk in to Pflugerville DPS for a same day DL assuming she passes the test. In the meantime, she can study and do the written d/l test online while waiting for the SSN to arrive

Old 10-11-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCUE View Post
Just to comment on the part above. Why would your g/f want to drive on her international license? Yes, your g/f can drive in TX for up to 90 days after entry into the state (not 90 days from getting the car) with her international license but since of the issues with that are 1) the car insurance is significantly higher for international license and 2) if she's ever stopped by cops, no guarantee that the cop would recognize her international license.Yes, probably okay after being delayed for a while but would you want that?

I'm assuming that she's legally in the country on a F1 or J1 visa? If so, i would suggest that she goes and gets a SSN and then a Texas D/L right after. You really can do this in a week or 2 i.e you can get your SSN in a week and can walk in to Pflugerville DPS for a same day DL assuming she passes the test. In the meantime, she can study and do the written d/l test online while waiting for the SSN to arrive
In a nutshell, we live near the Apple-plex on Parmer and she goes to school near UT in the morning. She is looking to work a job at night, so public transportation isn't a good option if she finishes work at 10p, even more so since it's 1.5 miles to the nearest bus stop; And on a bike, riding along Parmer at night, isn't a great option (especially for a 20-something woman). Short-term she is planning on using the Intl Driver License. She is in the country on a student visa.

I got nothing against her getting a SSN and a Texan D.L., that would be good, if it's fairly straight forward, as you mentioned. We are looking to get the car in both our names, as well as the insurance, so that we both may drive the car.

Thanks for bringing this up, the advice is appreciated, since living with a foreign national I wasn't 100% sure what was the best way to go at the legalities of driving for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin